Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:17 PM

222 posts, read 222,464 times

Advertisements

Rev’s Institute
The Florida Aquarium
We get about two weeks of cold
Daddy DeSantis

Dislikes:
Traffic
Constant accidents
Suicidal drivers
Hard to get people to show up or call back (for work, and contractors)
Shady contractors
Shady employees
Shady people
Low pay, cheap customers
Humidity (relatively new issue for me, used to work outside 50 hours a week)
Mosquitos
Nosseums
Cycling through lawn care companies because they disappear
Everything is always wet
Traffic
Water quality
Saltwater catfish
Lack of community
Healthcare
Disheveled looking cities(duplexes next to a medical building, then a smoke shop, duplex, auto repair, duplexes, Home Depot, duplex, gas station, etc)
Traffic
Etc…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 01:20 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are two distinct lists for sure.

Dislikes:
Cost Of Living (massive inequity to salaries)
Weather (April through October)
Lack of environmental concern (plow it under, build more!)
Ugly geography for the most part
****-poor transportation infrastructure
Mass Transit nearly non-existent (no planning)
Uneducated/lacking in non-critical thought (and proud of it)
Lack of community and/or identity
What passes as "farmers markets"
Nearly zero safety nets for low income seniors/others
Ok just to counter your dislikes:

1. What area has a great salary and a low cost of living, great mass transit?

2. Ugly geography (better or worse than Texas/Arizona/Indiana)?

3. Uneducated/lack of community..........by locals or by transients that moved here from Ohio?

4. Zero safety nets for low income/seniors? Ok specifically what area does a great job with that? Does NYC rent control fix that? But even with great transportation is the subway in NYC even safe for people to use?

Old 09-09-2022, 01:29 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,227,719 times
Hmmm, let us just "share and not challenge" please. Lol, I am very old and luv my peace. Can we just "walk away" from posts ON THIS THREAD we either do not like or disagree with "please pretty please with sugar on it". I know it is hard to do, trust me, I have been doing a lot of "walking away" = some folks like to "stir stuff up" = too busy to waste my time on them. Thanks, Angela

Old 09-09-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperK View Post
Dislikes:
Traffic
Constant accidents
Suicidal drivers
Shady contractors
Shady employees
Shady people
Low pay, cheap customers
Mosquitos
Nosseums
Everything is always wet
Traffic
Water quality
Saltwater catfish
Lack of community
Healthcare
Disheveled looking cities(duplexes next to a medical building, then a smoke shop, duplex, auto repair, duplexes, Home Depot, duplex, gas station, etc)
Traffic
Etc…
1. Traffic/accidents/bad drivers........ok really one category there

2. Hard to get people to show up/shady contractors/employees/people.....ok really one category there too.
Might even throw in the landscapers in that category as well.

3. Now does the low pay/cheap customers cause issue #2 ^^^^ hmmm.
How about the heat/mosquitos contribute to #2 ^^^^

4. Catfish? not sure where to put that issue

5. Healthcare? That might depend on specific locations (kind of like catfish)

6. City appearances........again depends on specific locations.

But I'd guess you could put 4+5+6 in the came category, you would be able to vet those issues before you settle in a certain area. As in didn't you notice the rough looking city with no healthcare facilities while you were looking for a place to fish?

I've got an uncle in Florida that felt everyone was out to get him/take advantage of him. He lives on the ocean, has a great life. His house up north was 14,000 square feet and he decided to remodel it one winter while he was in Florida. Hired a local guy, well known and work came out great ($200,000+). He arrived back home, loved everything.............until he went into the basement. Bikes/golf clubs/tool boxes and even a tv from the game room was stolen! He calls the contractor, guy was dumbfounded and had no explanation. He said just give me a number, as he didn't really know what was missing. They settled on $5,000. Contractor paid him the money.

My response: What did you hire Florida guys for that job? He laughed, he got my point that scumbags are everywhere and Florida tends to collect deadbeats from all over the nation after they burn all their bridges in hometown USA and descend on Florida to start over.....

Remember: Florida is a sunny place for shady people!

Old 09-09-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Hmmm, let us just "share and not challenge" please. Lol, I am very old and luv my peace. Can we just "walk away" from posts ON THIS THREAD we either do not like or disagree with "please pretty please with sugar on it". I know it is hard to do, trust me, I have been doing a lot of "walking away" = some folks like to "stir stuff up" = too busy to waste my time on them. Thanks, Angela
Ok sorry Angela, didn't want to screw up your thread. I was just putting a countering point of view in. You will end up with a one sided rant thread if you just let it ramble.

Florida doesn't give you a mansion, a Bentley and a butler when you arrive (though some people think it does!) or that it will be like living in Disney World everyday.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
1. Traffic/accidents/bad drivers........ok really one category there

2. Hard to get people to show up/shady contractors/employees/people.....ok really one category there too.
Might even throw in the landscapers in that category as well.

3. Now does the low pay/cheap customers cause issue #2 ^^^^ hmmm.
How about the heat/mosquitos contribute to #2 ^^^^

4. Catfish? not sure where to put that issue

5. Healthcare? That might depend on specific locations (kind of like catfish)

6. City appearances........again depends on specific locations.

But I'd guess you could put 4+5+6 in the came category, you would be able to vet those issues before you settle in a certain area. As in didn't you notice the rough looking city with no healthcare facilities while you were looking for a place to fish?

I've got an uncle in Florida that felt everyone was out to get him/take advantage of him. He lives on the ocean, has a great life. His house up north was 14,000 square feet and he decided to remodel it one winter while he was in Florida. Hired a local guy, well known and work came out great ($200,000+). He arrived back home, loved everything.............until he went into the basement. Bikes/golf clubs/tool boxes and even a tv from the game room was stolen! He calls the contractor, guy was dumbfounded and had no explanation. He said just give me a number, as he didn't really know what was missing. They settled on $5,000. Contractor paid him the money.

My response: What did you hire Florida guys for that job? He laughed, he got my point that scumbags are everywhere and Florida tends to collect deadbeats from all over the nation after they burn all their bridges in hometown USA and descend on Florida to start over.....

Remember: Florida is a sunny place for shady people!

Old 09-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Ok sorry Angela, didn't want to screw up your thread. I was just putting a countering point of view in. You will end up with a one sided rant thread if you just let it ramble.
Lol, you are forgiven
***Let them rant and ramble***

Old 09-09-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperK View Post
Rev’s Institute
The Florida Aquarium
We get about two weeks of cold
Daddy DeSantis

Dislikes:
Traffic
Constant accidents
Suicidal drivers
Shady contractors
Shady employees
Shady people
Low pay, cheap customers
Mosquitos
Nosseums
Everything is always wet
Traffic
Water quality
Saltwater catfish
Lack of community
Healthcare
Traffic
Etc…

I have never been to the Florida Aquarium. Hmmm, need to go

Old 09-09-2022, 01:54 PM

I've lived in the same house over 20 years;

I'm on my 4th lawn company (one moved, one retired, one sucked, current guy).
I've used the same tree company for 17+ years
I've used the same AC guy 15+ years (house was new, didn't need much in the beginning).
I've used one painter in 20 years, he has painted the inside and outside and is coming back to do the outside again shortly
I've used one plumber for 15+ years.
I've used one garage door repair guy for the last 10-12 years. Broken spring, then broken opener then broken wheel (3 visits).

I had a window washer that was good, a little "off" but good guy. He was regularly here then he was always "booked" but then I moved onto a guy that pressure cleaned and did windows (great combo, blow everything off the roof/ then the house THEN clean the windows!).

I don't seem to have trouble finding workers but I do weed through a few whackos every once in a while! Had a tree guy give me a price, then go on a rant about "Jews"........I was uncomfortable and I'm not even Jewish! He didn't get hired.
Had a guy show up in a beater truck, no signs and he was kind of rough as a referral to do a bathroom remodel. No tape measure, no sketches, no photos. He had grand plans like moving the shower 17 ft across the bathroom. Umm ok, then says its about $50,000! I asked about permits and he said, oh plus permit fees. There was no chance this guy was getting any work from me. So I asked what the time line would be, then when could I expect a formal estimate (remember he didn't measure ANYTHING). He said he would send his girl back to measure and then I'd get the estimate. She came, she measured and never heard from him again!

Old 09-09-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I don't seem to have trouble finding workers but I do weed through a few whackos every once in a while!

Had a tree guy give me a price, then go on a rant about "Jews"........I was uncomfortable and I'm not even Jewish! He didn't get hired.

Had a guy show up in a beater truck, no signs and he was kind of rough as a referral to do a bathroom remodel. No tape measure, no sketches, no photos. He had grand plans like moving the shower 17 ft across the bathroom. Umm ok, then says its about $50,000! I asked about permits and he said, oh plus permit fees. There was no chance this guy was getting any work from me. So I asked what the time line would be, then when could I expect a formal estimate (remember he didn't measure ANYTHING). He said he would send his girl back to measure and then I'd get the estimate. She came, she measured and never heard from him again! Lol, probably saved you from a possible nightmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida