Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,468 times

Advertisements

I live in Brandon and my mother is visiting here and we’re considering renting a place in the TPA metro area.

But I’ve never been to the southeast coast despite always wanting to go there. West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale. Not all the way down to Miami though.

However I can’t shake the feeling that it wouldn’t be much different than Sarasota, Bradenton, Clearwater, Largo, or St. Pete.

Both are coastal Floridian cities that are part of a larger metro area. Palm trees, concrete houses, suburban sprawl, car dependency, hot & moist, HCOL, Publixes on every corner. About 50-100 miles vertically separating them.

Is it really much different cause it would take just 1 hour to get to the gulf coast but about 4 to get to the other side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 07:08 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Different vibe. Gulf Coast is more chill, laid back, easy-going.

West Palm down is more of a rat-race.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:29 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
You are asking for a very wide generalization, but here's my opinion after living on both sides:

SE Florida:

-more people
-more traffic, more congestion, wider interstates, more toll roads
-higher population density, more high rise condo's
-slightly higher cost of living, but the gap is closing
-more people from the NE USA
-a lot more Spanish speakers, & intensifies the further South you go
-less friendly people & more NE USA vibe vs. SW FLA is still a more Midwestern vibe; but becoming less so
-more highly aggressive drivers
-better & more diverse night life, restaurants, & retail
-more wealthy people
-younger population
-more left leaning politically
-a lot more public transportation options
-slightly cooler weather near the coast due to having the cool Gulf Stream waters just offshore
-better deep sea fishing due to deeper waters not as far offshore
-less White sand beaches, & beach access is slightly more costly & difficult
-more job opportunities
-more commercial flight destination options both domestic & international (more big airports)
-more colleges/universities
-noisier...planes, trains, trucks, & loud recently the loud muffler automobiles
-better cruise ships & destinations
-NBA team
-larger boating community w/ larger boats/yachts

Not only have I lived on both sides, I still spend a lot of time on both sides due to having friends & family in Boca, Jupiter, Port St. Lucie

Old 10-11-2022, 03:33 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Here's one major difference between SE Florida and the Gulf Coast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...sults_2020.svg

Old 10-12-2022, 01:19 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Baskets_at_Target View Post
I live in Brandon and my mother is visiting here and we’re considering renting a place in the TPA metro area.

But I’ve never been to the southeast coast despite always wanting to go there. West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale. Not all the way down to Miami though.

However I can’t shake the feeling that it wouldn’t be much different than Sarasota, Bradenton, Clearwater, Largo, or St. Pete.

Both are coastal Floridian cities that are part of a larger metro area. Palm trees, concrete houses, suburban sprawl, car dependency, hot & moist, HCOL, Publixes on every corner. About 50-100 miles vertically separating them.

Is it really much different cause it would take just 1 hour to get to the gulf coast but about 4 to get to the other side?
It is different and reasons why the SE side is the #1 metro area in FL in terms of population, and the Tampa Bay area is #2 with neither side slowing down in terms of growth. The reasons behind aren't so simple either. Many see it as a byproduct of the interstate highways, where traditionally traffic in/out of FL on I-75 favors the Midwest while I-95 more so the Northeast US. The Midwest culturally is more laidback, less sophisticated and overall more conservative whereas the Northeast tends more liberal, more sophisticated and much less "chill". There's also a world vibe in SE Florida that Midwestern types tend to find disagreeable given what is often a xenophobic mindset in that camp. If you have an appreciation for more sophisticated dining, cultural events, diversity of culture and a more vibrant atmosphere to visit, you would do well to check it out. Not to mention true ocean surf versus what is much calmer water on the Gulf side. Otherwise if your tastes tend simpler and diversity seems uncomfortable for whatever reason, the Gulf side is more your speed probably.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
You are asking for a very wide generalization, but here's my opinion after living on both sides:

SE Florida:

-more people
-less friendly people & more NE USA vibe vs. SW FLA is still a more Midwestern vibe; but becoming less so
-more wealthy people
-younger population
-slightly cooler weather near the coast due to having the cool Gulf Stream waters just offshore
-more job opportunities
-more commercial flight destination options both domestic & international (more big airports)
-NBA team

Not only have I lived on both sides, I still spend a lot of time on both sides due to having friends & family in Boca, Jupiter, Port St. Lucie
This is pretty much it.
Lived on both sides as well.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:39 PM

236 posts, read 388,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

SE Florida:

-more people
-more wealthy people
-younger population
-more job opportunities
-NBA team

I'd add that Southeast Florida is more tropical and stays warmer in the winter months due to its proximity to the Gulf Stream. For example, if you compare Stuart to Siesta Key/Venice area (two areas at a similar latitude), Stuart stays a few degrees warmer on average in the winter months.

The west coast also has more issues with red tide.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:51 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,281,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I'd add that Southeast Florida is more tropical and stays warmer in the winter months due to its proximity to the Gulf Stream. For example, if you compare Stuart to Siesta Key/Venice area (two areas at a similar latitude), Stuart stays a few degrees warmer on average in the winter months.

The west coast also has more issues with red tide.
Yep, they say the climate on the west coast is about the same as 50 miles further north on the east coast. New Port Richey is about the same as Daytona, Clearwater Beach is roughly the same as Cocoa Beach, Sarasota is about the same as Melbourne… There are a few exceptions though, Anna Maria Island is about the same as Miami (mainland) due to an oddly strong maritime influence from Tampa Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida