Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2022, 03:40 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

One estimate is that 50,000 (30,000-70,000) vehicles may have been lost due to Hurricane Ian's impact.

<<We believe the likely range of severely damaged vehicles that could need replacement is between 30,000 and 70,000 vehicles. As it is still early days in the aftermath of Ian, we recognize that is indeed a large range, so we will consider the mid-point at 50,000 vehicles. >>

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...uld-top-50000/

Certainly, the demand for new and used vehicles will skyrocket. I wonder if any savings could be realized by flying into a northern state, or taking a bus to e.g. Tennessee, and driving a new vehicle back to Florida, taking into account travel costs even before accounting for the time required.

It's uncertain of the impact on auto insurance premiums as losses due to hurricanes likely were already factored into insurance premiums.

I don't believe insurance will compensate owners for the much higher auto purchase loan rates now in effect than a year ago.

Will the temporary boost in rental demand impact the tourism industry in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 09:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Six months from now, we’ll hear the reports of people who didn’t do due diligence when buying a used car and ended up with a vehicle that had been totaled by the insurance company because of flood damage and then sent to auction. Flood damage cars are never going to be really right again.

Check the vehicle history of any used cars you’re looking to buy and avoid anything previously titled in Florida in 2022 for a while to come.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:57 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Six months from now, we’ll hear the reports of people who didn’t do due diligence when buying a used car and ended up with a vehicle that had been totaled by the insurance company because of flood damage and then sent to auction. Flood damage cars are never going to be really right again.

Check the vehicle history of any used cars you’re looking to buy and avoid anything previously titled in Florida in 2022 for a while to come.
I even wonder about new cars too if it's been on the lot for awhile.

If I were in the market for a car, I would only buy new AND I would order it. I wouldn't trust anything that's been sitting on the lot before Ian.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:37 PM

Default EVs dangerous after salt water immersion

This article suggests that Teslas and EVs are especially vulnerable to salt water.

<<Florida chief financial officer and state fire marshal Jimmy] Patronis said two houses burned down this week after an EV caught fire. He has asked manufacturers for help....

“Lithium-ion vehicle battery fires have been observed both rapidly igniting and igniting several weeks after battery damage occurred,” Jack Danielson, executive director at NHTSA, wrote in the letter to Patronis.
Fires in EVs “pose unique challenges” for firefighters, NHTSA said in a separate statement to Bloomberg Government. The agency said it has been researching the effect of saltwater immersion on batteries when similar issues emerged with EVs after Superstorm Sandy in 2012.>>

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../17/690430.htm

I would be reluctant to buy a used Tesla or other EV with any past Florida registration until this issue is better understood/resolved.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:18 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Coming back across the Alligator Alley the day after Ian, (Alley runs east to west, Miami to Naples & up) we saw several car fires along I-75, all electric vehicles. I guess the owners didn't realize that those batteries had salt water intrusion that had already set in and would smoke them.

On another front, just heard NBC local news calculate not what WR's news piece had predicted, but a new estimate of anywhere from 300,000 to 350,000. cars with possible storm damage from Ian. I don't know if they meant only Florida or were estimating the several states impacted by Ian.

That was one of the reasons we left. Not only to protect us, but our vehicles too. Our cars remained high and dry.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Article I found today on how to avoid buying a flood car-

https://wsvn.com/news/investigations...hurricane-ian/

Old 11-14-2022, 06:31 AM

Despite $1 billion of reinsurance protection, Progressive Insurance reported almost $600 million of vehicle catastrophe losses in its third quarter. Given the likelihood of higher reinsurance premiums, and future Florida losses as the probability of Florida catastrophes increase, Progressive would appear likely to significantly increase Florida vehicle insurance rates, especially in counties more vulnerable to storm losses.

https://www.carriermanagement.com/ne.../13/241323.htm

Old 12-04-2022, 12:03 AM

While losses from Hurricane Ian will impact Florida auto insurance rates, the impact may be dwarfed by other auto insurance issuance issues that make Florida auto insurance the most expensive in the nation.

<<An analysis from insure.com ranks Florida as the most expensive state in the nation for auto insurance, with the average premium at $2,560 a year, or $213 a month. That’s a 23% increase in rates from 2021....

Another factor in Florida’s auto insurance rates being among the highest in the nation are our frequent storms and flooding...>>

https://floridaphoenix.com/2022/11/2...ng-in-florida/

BTW, Florida drivers seriously should consider purchasing uninsured motorist coverage:

<<Also, one out of every 5 drivers (20.4 percent) in the state is uninsured, the sixth highest rate in the nation.>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: