Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 03:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
So you're saying the repairs shouldn't have been done because it may have given the impression of being a publicity stunt?
I’m saying there was a need, the state has a budget surplus to fix it, so what’s the big deal about a guy spending five minutes signing a check? It’s a no brainer high visibility project.

I will admit that it would have been nice if Our Lord and Savior, Ron DeSantis has show a little more urgency about repairs to the Pensacola Bay Bridge after it got taken out by Hurricane Sally and the incompetence of Skansa in 2020, but that’s just me being cranky about the panhandle getting ignored again.

But instead we got the slow repair job and it took a federal court for people impacted to get relief-

https://weartv.com/news/local/federa...y-preparations

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/647659.htm

As for being a week or two late if necessary, I do think people would have been pretty understanding if things had been discovered during construction that would impact the safety and structural integrity of the bridge if they were not addressed . It’s the kind of project that has to be done competently the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 03:36 PM

18,450 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Sanibel was all hauling in dirt/fill....they filled in the bridge abutments

....Pensacola 3 mile bridge lost spans in the middle....no where near the same thing

" The structure suffered severe damage on Sept. 16, 2020, after multiple barges used in the construction of the bridge escaped their moorings in the high winds and seas and struck the bridge."

https://www.fdot.gov/info/PensacolaBay

Old 10-25-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Sanibel was all hauling in dirt/fill....they filled in the bridge abutments

....Pensacola 3 mile bridge lost spans in the middle....no where near the same thing
But really, there was not much urgency at all to get those spans replaced from what I saw. It was like being nice to Skansa was more important that actually moving along with bridge repairs.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:38 PM

18,450 posts, read 8,282,661 times
that was probably because the spans are not made on site....and you can't see them being made

did they have the molds laying around somewhere?....or did they have to make them first

and they don't know what size to fit/make them...until everything is prepped so you can get an exact measurement

we're scheduled to start that here on a few bridges...repairs....they are saying years

Old 10-26-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that was probably because the spans are not made on site....and you can't see them being made

did they have the molds laying around somewhere?....or did they have to make them first

and they don't know what size to fit/make them...until everything is prepped so you can get an exact measurement

we're scheduled to start that here on a few bridges...repairs....they are saying years
Final bridge design is two spans- one in each direction. They had just finished span #1 about a month before Sally (and had put all traffic on it in narrow temporary lanes) and should have been making significant progress toward fabricating spans for the westbound lanes at that point.

It’s something like a $500 million project that was supposed to replace a bridge with a D/F grade. Ironically it was the replacement process that caused all the problems.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:14 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I’m saying there was a need, the state has a budget surplus to fix it, so what’s the big deal about a guy spending five minutes signing a check? It’s a no brainer high visibility project.

I will admit that it would have been nice if Our Lord and Savior, Ron DeSantis has show a little more urgency about repairs to the Pensacola Bay Bridge after it got taken out by Hurricane Sally and the incompetence of Skansa in 2020, but that’s just me being cranky about the panhandle getting ignored again.

But instead we got the slow repair job and it took a federal court for people impacted to get relief-

https://weartv.com/news/local/federa...y-preparations

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/647659.htm

As for being a week or two late if necessary, I do think people would have been pretty understanding if things had been discovered during construction that would impact the safety and structural integrity of the bridge if they were not addressed . It’s the kind of project that has to be done competently the first time.
LOL, you know as well as I do that had the bridge completion been late, even a week later, DeSantis' dem detractors would have twisted the delays, no matter what the causes, into another occasion to bash the governor, they ( you) can't help yourselves, it seems. Just like you are not apparently capable of giving the man credit where credit is due.

Chomping on all those green grapes must be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: