Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 07:05 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliealba View Post
How low do you think Florida prices are going to drop ?
We have yet to see the impact on condo values that last year's legislation will have. The increase in fees required to fund mandated inspections and structural reserves will be reflected in condo fees which will domino into demand and selling prices. You can't expect to sell for the same price if your fees just doubled or tripled which I expect in some complexes. We have less than two years before the deadline for compliance but we know condo associations are fans of procrastination so the impact will be pushed forward as long as they can manage to ignore it. The clock is ticking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 07:32 AM

92 posts, read 76,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We paid cash ~5 yrs ago ($550k), despite a poster here who has been warning of a housing collapse for the 6+ yrs I've been active on C-D forums.

I'm glad I ignored his posts, because homes like ours have sold, & are pending for $1.1M-$1.3M! We're in a desireable area, & inventory's still tight.

We could sell in <1 wk, take our $550k+ gain, downsize to take some $'s out, or move to a cheaper location. Or, we can stay. Even if the market drops 50% (very unlikely), we're still up, so the cash we used to buy our current home is very safe.

All of our options are good. Current buyers are not as lucky...they have more risk, so the pay cash or finance, decision is trickier.

Whether to pay cash, or not, depends on many factors & personal preference. It's too complex to declare right, or wrong. Most who can pay cash, do.
5 years ago nobody could have predicted a Worldwide pandemic nor a US Federal Reserve droppings rates to records lows. There is no genius in any of this. My house in NH has more than doubled in value.

As any of the equity goes away so does our purchasing power in FL.

There are always pockets of areas in every State that don’t suffer as much in corrections but the Average Joe is going to watch their housing equity slip away.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:29 AM

637 posts, read 409,386 times
I live in West Palm Beach and have several friends and family who’ve been beaten by cash offers…I certainly believe this list, well at least WPB being so high.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:46 AM

637 posts, read 409,386 times
I agree with all of this. I too had several detractors try to convince of some near future housing crash (affluent renters, youngish DINKS living downtown). The outcome? A new construction build with a 2.5% interest rate, closed in 2021. My neighbor across the street, lured by the insane appreciation sold his home (only lived there for 4 months) and doubled his money. Insanity

As long as there is a tight labor market and unemployment remains relatively low, I don’t see foreclosures happening too much. Buyers are qualified

Quote:
We paid cash ~5 yrs ago ($550k), despite a poster here who has been warning of a housing collapse for the 6+ yrs I've been active on C-D forums.

I'm glad I ignored his posts, because homes like ours have sold, & are pending for $1.1M-$1.3M! We're in a desireable area, & inventory's still tight.
We could sell in <1 wk, take our $550k+ gain, downsize to take some $'s out, or move to a cheaper location. Or, we can stay. Even if the market drops 50% (very unlikely), we're still up, so the cash we used to buy our current home is very safe.

All of our options are good. Current buyers are not as lucky...they have more risk, so the pay cash or finance, decision is trickier.

Whether to pay cash, or not, depends on many factors & personal preference. It's too complex to declare right, or wrong. Most who can pay cash, do.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
I agree with all of this. I too had several detractors try to convince of some near future housing crash (affluent renters, youngish DINKS living downtown). The outcome? A new construction build with a 2.5% interest rate, closed in 2021. My neighbor across the street, lured by the insane appreciation sold his home (only lived there for 4 months) and doubled his money. Insanity

As long as there is a tight labor market and unemployment remains relatively low, I don’t see foreclosures happening too much. Buyers are qualified
Watch what happens…….

Old 02-26-2023, 01:29 PM

Days on market going back to reality. See Fed data link below.

In my area RE agents seeing most transactions have the usual inspections and contingencies and few of any over market offers. Many reductions on houses that have issues. The only hot market is at the low end and people desperate for housing they can afford vs high rents.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEDDAYONMARUS

Old 02-26-2023, 02:27 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
If you forecast a falling real estate market for enough years in a row, you'll eventually be right...common sense...no link needed.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,346 times
Quote:
If you forecast a falling real estate market for enough years in a row, you'll eventually be right...common sense...no link needed.
So the 2008 housing crash happened. I don't think it will happen again within human's ability to recollect. Kind of like Covid and the Spanish flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...ic-history.htm

You seem to be on a lucky run. Have some empathy for others that aren't riding a lucky wave.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Every fundamental real estate market indicator lining up for correction.

All the hand waving, gaslighting, or cherry picking of data points won’t make a difference. Housing is a macro economic issue. Individuals who point to specific cases in hot or desirable markets like Miami is not how this will play out.

Housing inventories have increased for 12 straight months, on market has increased considerably. Interest rates 2x and more year on year. Inflation highest in 40 years. It’s actually comical to see RE agents trying to downplay the big picture.

Florida is the #1 state by percentage of second homes. That demand is actually lower than pre pandemic. Market fundamentals already in motion.

There is no guessing to this. It’s already happening.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:54 PM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Another rate hike will have mortgages up to 7%. Still plenty of cash buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida