Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 10:26 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Why is this a problem? If you move to Florida, you should be financially prepared to pay what it costs to live there.

Raise the taxes! Auto and homeowners insurance are way too low; raise them too!

Require flood insurance of everyone, after all it's only a matter of time before half the state is underwater!

Gas prices are a joke at $3.89! So is the cost of a jar of Hellmann's at Publix at $7.

Keep raising the price of everything until the entire state of Florida is as expensive as Maui, Martha's Vineyard or Aspen!

Let's GO!

Last edited by sinatras; 03-26-2023 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 10:29 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
life is full of choices....where to live being one of them.
bingo!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2023, 10:38 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
^ this exactly

Flood can also be because of rain....not necessarily a hurricane
That's for sure, rising water from any source. My understanding, anyway.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:57 AM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So basically they are forcing people who live in non flood zones to subsidize the insurance for those who do? Brilent.
How's that new. We all pay school taxes even without kids. We pay for beach replenishment without a beachouse. Etc.,etc.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:28 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Chicken Little - take a breath and actually read the article you linked.

This applies only to a subset of homeowners who have insurance with Citizens and only to those policyholders with hurricane wind insurance.

Not to all homeowners in Florida.

Not to all Citizens policyholders.

"The policy doesn’t affect Citizens policyholders who aren’t insured for wind coverage, about 300,000 customers statewide.

On April 1, it applies to all new policyholders with properties in a flood zone. On July 1, current policyholders who live in designated flood zones will be required to have flood insurance — a switch that will affect about 295,000 policies, according to Citizens.

Starting Jan. 1, 2024, anyone with home coverage over $600,000 is required to have flood insurance. That’s about 15,000 policies, according to Citizens. The next year, 2025, the policy applies to all homes with coverage over $500,000 — about 27,000 more policies.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/econom...y-rise-florida

I see in your linked article the reference to Citizen's policyholders who won't need flood insurance by virtue of not having windstorm coverage, and I was curious as to what type of coverage offered by Citizens to either homeowners or business owners would not include windstorm damages. I know we had a homeowner's policy that excluded windstorm damage through State Farm of Florida after hurricane Andrew in Miami, when they separated this company from the parent State Farm corporation and dumped windstorm coverage off many of their grandfathered in homeowner's policies. We had to purchase a separate windstorm policy from Citizens to get complete coverage. $$$$$$$$.

So I visited the Citizen's website to see what types of policies are available to property owners these days, wondering if by any chance they might offer a homeowner's policy that excluded windstorm coverage similar to the one dumped on us by our "Good Neighbors" State Farm. I didn't see one, it looked as though what's offered to homeowners are "multiperil", "windstorm only" and possibly "sinkhole" ( ie, catastrophic ground collapse coverage) . Looked like their commercial policies included "windstorm only", "multiperil" and modified multiperil for condos that excluded tenants' personal belongings. It also looked as though their multiperil policies may exclude liability, or perhaps that's an option to lower the premiums. What I didn't see was an option for a homeowner's policy that excluded windstorm. The only Citizen's policyholders that I could see who don't have windstorm coverage would be those who have a "catastrophic ground collapse" or sinkhole policy. Perhaps these policyholders are exempt from flood insurance, but I can't determine who else might be.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
My understanding is that Zone X doesn’t require flood insurance, but it doesn’t mean the area doesn’t flood. I think Zone X can still be consistent with a 1 in 50yr flood, perhaps caused by a hurricane. So, requiring some Zone X mortgagees to have flood insurance may be reasonable.
We specifically bought ‘up the hill’ in part because of flood concerns. We are on sandy soil 40 feet above sea level and about half a block from a 20 foot elevation drop so the water runs down that hill. We have gotten 24 inches of rain in 36 hours from one of those stalled springtime fronts and only the far SE corner of the yard where the storm drain is (ie lowest point of the lot) got a little bit of spongy.

And we’re technically Flood Zone X. It would be ridiculous to require us to buy flood insurance.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:18 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We specifically bought ‘up the hill’ in part because of flood concerns. We are on sandy soil 40 feet above sea level and about half a block from a 20 foot elevation drop so the water runs down that hill. We have gotten 24 inches of rain in 36 hours from one of those stalled springtime fronts and only the far SE corner of the yard where the storm drain is (ie lowest point of the lot) got a little bit of spongy.

And we’re technically Flood Zone X. It would be ridiculous to require us to buy flood insurance.
I can't even get 24" in a whole year.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I can't even get 24" in a whole year.
The Northern Gulf Coast can get seriously wet. The wettest city in America with a population over 200K people is Mobile, Alabama of all places.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:49 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
How's that new. We all pay school taxes even without kids. We pay for beach replenishment without a beachouse. Etc.,etc.
Apples and oranges. We are not talking about taxes. We are talking about insurance. But if you must know, you pay school taxes because it benefits you to live in an educated society. You pay for beach replenishment so you can enjoy the beach if you so choose.

But forcing people who have chosen to live in a non-flood zone to pay higher insurance costs to support those who choose to live in areas prone to flooding is just wrong, and probably unconstitutional.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:26 AM

981 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

We are about 50 feet above sea level and will be required by Citizens to get flood insurance. I believe we will be getting a different insurer when the time comes. May cost more than the regular policy from Citizens but less than if we had to have flood insurance as well.

We've been talking about this and believe Citizens actually wants to lose some of their clients as they have so many. Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida