Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 10:22 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbtnews.com/nick-sabans-...ve-to-florida/

Nick Saban, the Alabama football coach, is part owner of a large car dealer group called Dream Motors, who owns mostly Mercedes dealerships.

They just invested $700M here in Florida, & cite Florida's franchise friendly laws for the investment...says more to follow.

Florida winning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 10:50 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Nick Saban, the Alabama football coach, is part owner of a large car dealer group called Dream Motors, who owns mostly Mercedes dealerships.

They just invested $700M here in Florida, & cite Florida's franchise friendly laws for the investment...says more to follow.

Florida winning!
I know he has a high paying contract, but how can the likes of Saban,and even John Elway started his own dealership at one time when contracts didn't pay as much when he retired. Elway sold his first one to autonation which allowed him to get more eventually.

Sports players getting into big business ventures seem to be a gamble. Some like Elway, Magic Johnson, Emmitt Smith do really well, and some go broke and totally flop.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:32 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I looked up Saban’s net worth and it’s about $95 mill. Although he gets a base salary of $1 mill a year, he gets a guaranteed “talent fee” that increases each year and it’s currently around $9 mill. When his contract ends it should be $13.5 mill. His buyout is not quite $50 mill.

I doubt he’ll do much advertising in the South Florida area. He was branded a liar when he coached the Dolphins and said “I’m not going to be the Alabama coach.” New name was Nick Satan.

Although he may be forgiven now, due to the passage of time and his success at Alabama and the re-emergence of the Dolphins under Tua, who ironically was one of his QB’s at Alabama.

I softened on Nick a bit. Those Aflac commercials with Deion are cute.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I looked up Saban’s net worth and it’s about $95 mill. Although he gets a base salary of $1 mill a year, he gets a guaranteed “talent fee” that increases each year and it’s currently around $9 mill. When his contract ends it should be $13.5 mill. His buyout is not quite $50 mill.

I doubt he’ll do much advertising in the South Florida area. He was branded a liar when he coached the Dolphins and said “I’m not going to be the Alabama coach.” New name was Nick Satan.

Although he may be forgiven now, due to the passage of time and his success at Alabama and the re-emergence of the Dolphins under Tua, who ironically was one of his QB’s at Alabama.

I softened on Nick a bit. Those Aflac commercials with Deion are cute.
Dieon Sanders is going to be the next one. Says he is committed to Colorado, BUT if an NFL team wants him you know he's gone in a second.

Saban will be retired soon. Can you see Dieon taking that job? He has 4 years left on his contract.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:45 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:

Florida winning!
I'll assume someone else's recent post will be eliminated from the discussion. But I'll express the same general sentiment.

Most Floridians can't afford to buy a Mercedes. Most Floridians aren't cut out for car sales jobs, and a series of Mercedes dealerships will only employ a tiny segment of the population that's looking for work.

So I'm not understanding why this is a win-win for Florida. It doesn't really help - anyone, other than the wealthy. And they don't need the help.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'll assume someone else's recent post will be eliminated from the discussion. But I'll express the same general sentiment.

Most Floridians can't afford to buy a Mercedes. Most Floridians aren't cut out for car sales jobs, and a series of Mercedes dealerships will only employ a tiny segment of the population that's looking for work.

So I'm not understanding why this is a win-win for Florida. It doesn't really help - anyone, other than the wealthy. And they don't need the help.
Actually, "most" can afford them if they want. A lot of people lease them, OR have monster car payments. You see people with $800 car payments all the time. You can go in the ghetto and see Mercedes, Escalades, or Dodge Charger Scatpacks and Hellcats all the time.

Everywhere I go in the US I see Mercedes, BMW, Lincoln, etc. Many have monster car payments or are leasing them. That's why everyone is in debt.

Car sales is a hard job and has a very high turnover rate. Most people are not cut out for car sales.

Due to the semi conductor shortages some of the Mercedes dealers were laying off people a couple years ago. My cousin worked at the one in Naples and got let go. lack of inventory they had to cut some staff.

It brings in sales tax money though when a car is sold.

I personally find Mercedes cars to be VERY bland just like BMW. Plain looking and boring no personality. Even stuff like the M3 while fast it's just plain and boring looking to me. I'd take a Zl1 Camaro over an M3.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:25 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
When new businesses come to Florida, they invest a lot of money here, which grows our economy.

They buy or lease land, buildings, office equipment, office furniture, office supplies, hire cleaning company's, landscapers, electricians, plumbers, buy insurance, pay for utilities that helps fund our infrastructure.

They hire people here, directly, and indirectly through contractors, & suppliers....like advertising agencies, insurance agencies, legal services, decorators, remodeling contractors, accounting/bookkeeping/tax/payroll services.

They pay taxes here....property tax, vehicle taxes, sales taxes, taxes on utilities, payroll taxes.

They sell things people want or need, and/or provide services people want/need.

Many contribute money & time to community causes, like local food banks, churches, homeless shelters, hospitals, schools.

Small & medium-sized businesses like this one, employee 80% of Americans, & tend to pay better than the Fortune 500 too.

Anyone here know what a Mercedes mechanic makes? The people who builds/administer their web sites (like my neice)? Sales, Office, Service, and F&I Managers? All pay well above the state median...they are all 6-figure jobs.

I thought people here wanted higher paying jobs in Florida? Or, do you want more fast food places, & big box stores that pay squat?

So, now you know why this is a big win for us...every business that moves into the Free State of Florida is a win....especially businesses like this one.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:01 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

...and most Floridians don't work behind the counter at Burger King either

there's no such thing as "most" Floridians

Old 11-17-2023, 08:51 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
The automotive industry in Florida, especially South Florida is large and lucrative - It's no surprise he chose to enter this market.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:01 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
My wife is a director for a large automotive group (so I have a good idea of how this works behind the scenes) and I implore you two to stop making sense...remember, this is a BAD move for Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and most Floridians don't work behind the counter at Burger King either

there's no such thing as "most" Floridians
Quote:
When new businesses come to Florida, they invest a lot of money here, which grows our economy.

They buy or lease land, buildings, office equipment, office furniture, office supplies, hire cleaning company's, landscapers, electricians, plumbers, buy insurance, pay for utilities that helps fund our infrastructure.

They hire people here, directly, and indirectly through contractors, & suppliers....like advertising agencies, insurance agencies, legal services, decorators, remodeling contractors, accounting/bookkeeping/tax/payroll services.

They pay taxes here....property tax, vehicle taxes, sales taxes, taxes on utilities, payroll taxes.

They sell things people want or need, and/or provide services people want/need.

Many contribute money & time to community causes, like local food banks, churches, homeless shelters, hospitals, schools.

Small & medium-sized businesses like this one, employee 80% of Americans, & tend to pay better than the Fortune 500 too.

Anyone here know what a Mercedes mechanic makes? The people who builds/administer their web sites (like my neice)? Sales, Office, Service, and F&I Managers? All pay well above the state median...they are all 6-figure jobs.

I thought people here wanted higher paying jobs in Florida? Or, do you want more fast food places, & big box stores that pay squat?

So, now you know why this is a big win for us...every business that moves into the Free State of Florida is a win....especially businesses like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida