Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:23 AM

17,552 posts, read 15,657,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Basically you'll have to define southern to determine which part of Florida is southern. People are surprised that Florida has southern culture and southern roots because the image of Florda is different from the rest of the south. I would say all of Northern Florida and parts of Central Florida. I know quite a few people from Central Florida that are culturally southern. People who are not too fond of the south love Florida at least enough to vacation there. Jacksonville is still deemed southern despite a growing number of transplants in the city and around it's suburbs. Most Floridans dub us as South Georgia. St Augustine is still southern to me but it is attracting a lot of people from south and Central Florida. I'm sure you can still find southern cusine, Southern Baptist churches, sweet tea, and a southern accent all throughout the state.
I have a sibling who moved here with me in the early 2000s and stayed until I want to say 2010 before moving back up North. She recently came down for a visit, and spent her time mainly between Naples and Tampa (primarily SW FL though.) Despite the heavy presence of Northern transplants and retirees in that area, she remarked that she had forgotten "how Southern Florida really is." Safe to say, to people not from the South, Florida in general, pretty much anywhere outside of Miami city limits and parts of Orlando, is going to feel "Southern" to some extent. Your last sentence is spot-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 818,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I have a sibling who moved here with me in the early 2000s and stayed until I want to say 2010 before moving back up North. She recently came down for a visit, and spent her time mainly between Naples and Tampa (primarily SW FL though.) Despite the heavy presence of Northern transplants and retirees in that area, she remarked that she had forgotten "how Southern Florida really is." Safe to say, to people not from the South, Florida in general, pretty much anywhere outside of Miami city limits and parts of Orlando, is going to feel "Southern" to some extent. Your last sentence is spot-on.
Miami black culture is southern but the Miami hispanic culture don't align themselves with traditional Florida southern culture/

Old Today, 12:24 PM

13,773 posts, read 8,070,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Miami black culture is southern but the Miami hispanic culture don't align themselves with traditional Florida southern culture/
A segment of Miami black culture is southern. A large segment of Miami's black population has Caribbean heritage and does not trace its ancestry to the American South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida