Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 04:12 PM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Every rep I got quotes from basically said "its not you, it's florida"

I am being told to lower coverages to the bare minimum to reduce the rate. But if I do that what's the point?

Also, at these prices, the number of uninsured motorists in Fla must be absolutely skyrocketing.

It should never cost $6000 to insure a $27000 vehicle. That is reprehensible and another nail in the coffin for the American dream.
How old are you? I know insurance gets expensive again when you get into your 70's.

For what's its worth I insure a BMW M3 and a new Porsche 911 cheaper than 6K yr total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 04:55 PM

14,434 posts, read 14,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Making a second post to show you what you asked for above.

https://www.ryanhugheslaw.com/articl...cticut%2090%25.

The lowest are down around 30%.
The percentage of cases that go to court means little in and of itself. Some states have short statutes of limitation and a lawyer will file suit to protect the case. In fact, sometimes there is literally no defense work done after a filing because if it is done just to extend time, the interaction will continue simply between the claimant's attorney and the insurance company. An insurance company can easily bring about a court filing by refusing to be reasonable about a case. One example would be an insurance company's adjuster saying: "We are offering you $5,000 for your accident where you have $25,000 in medical bills". Most insurance companies don't do business that way, but there are a few that do.

In order for this statistic to have any meaning we would need to know the average cost of resolving those cases filed in court and compare them with the ones not filed that involve personal injuries.

Florida's no-fault system may increase accident costs because insureds learn that money is available to pay medical bills. A standard tort system provides no money for this purpose up front. Insurance companies have known for some time that the states with lowest insurance premiums are those that have a standard tort system and do not have no fault.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:25 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The percentage of cases that go to court means little in and of itself. Some states have short statutes of limitation and a lawyer will file suit to protect the case. In fact, sometimes there is literally no defense work done after a filing because if it is done just to extend time, the interaction will continue simply between the claimant's attorney and the insurance company. An insurance company can easily bring about a court filing by refusing to be reasonable about a case. One example would be an insurance company's adjuster saying: "We are offering you $5,000 for your accident where you have $25,000 in medical bills". Most insurance companies don't do business that way, but there are a few that do.

In order for this statistic to have any meaning we would need to know the average cost of resolving those cases filed in court and compare them with the ones not filed that involve personal injuries.

Florida's no-fault system may increase accident costs because insureds learn that money is available to pay medical bills. A standard tort system provides no money for this purpose up front. Insurance companies have known for some time that the states with lowest insurance premiums are those that have a standard tort system and do not have no fault.
First off, I'm not against the tort system, some of my best friends are trial lawyers.

That said, you already know the costs because you have the highest premiums in the country.

Costs x Expense & Profit load = Premium >>>>>>then approved by state and FL is not *soft* on rate increases by a MILE.

We both agree that no-fault increases costs. So good discussion, but in FL with their verbal no-fault threshold it is reasonable to see why a minor fender bender would have an insurer balking at meeting the threshold.

Good discussion though, so thankyou for your post.

That said, states with that system attract accident rings involving large law firms, shady medical practices and so forth.

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight, just sharing info. FL has super high premiums for (several) reasons.

-Tort system
-Foreign drivers
-Elderly
-Tourists
-Uninsured

Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM

988 posts, read 613,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How old are you? I know insurance gets expensive again when you get into your 70's.

For what's its worth I insure a BMW M3 and a new Porsche 911 cheaper than 6K yr total.
I've heard that you get higher rates in your 70's too. What state do you live in?

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

25,942 posts, read 12,960,297 times
43 posts later, & not 1 other person has been able to corroborate the OP's claim...hmm

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I've heard that you get higher rates in your 70's too. What state do you live in?
I tried to look into this more but it's just too much work to try to find the rate filings etc.

Additionally, they may be proprietary algorithms and just not available to the public.

Since their premium is about double others here that are not "kids" themselves, I would still wonder if we are being told a premium that maybe has something else going on like other cars, boat or whatever.

Regardless, Florida still has very high premiums compared to other states so it's a great thread by the OP to have a discussion around.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

9,401 posts, read 14,350,227 times
I’ve been reading reports that the Honda Accord is the leading target for car thieves.

The $6,000 figure could be hyperbole for whatever reason, but if insurance rates for the Honda Accord are higher than average in Florida, the propensity for theft could be the reason, all other factors being equal.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

17,565 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I tried to look into this more but it's just too much work to try to find the rate filings etc.

Additionally, they may be proprietary algorithms and just not available to the public.

Since their premium is about double others here that are not "kids" themselves, I would still wonder if we are being told a premium that maybe has something else going on like other cars, boat or whatever.

Regardless, Florida still has very high premiums compared to other states so it's a great thread by the OP to have a discussion around.
Car insurance rates vary wildly based on many factors: zip code, age of driver, driver history (tickets, etc.) driver limitations and how many miles car is regularly driven. Since we are not privy to ANY of this information this discussion is really useless.

However, is true that Tampa residents pay some of the highest rates in the state.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

17,382 posts, read 15,535,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Car insurance rates vary wildly based on many factors: zip code, age of driver, driver history (tickets, etc.) driver limitations and how many miles car is regularly driven. Since we are not privy to ANY of this information this discussion is really useless.

However, is true that Tampa residents pay some of the highest rates in the state.
Maybe he has a DUI on his record? A lot of people do. 2 beers can land one with a DUI.

But yeah, insurance rates have shot up quite significantly, and Tampa is up there.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Flariduh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida