Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:10 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,244 times

Advertisements

Im seriously considering moving to either Levy, Dixie, or Gilchrist Counties (west of Gainesville/Ocala) from another State. I will want to purchase a Mobile Home in the country and in a wooded area possibly close to lakes and rivers. Are there alligators near these bodies of water or large numbers of snakes on land in wooded areas ? Are some poisinous ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
I don't know but a colleage of mine lived in Orlando in a built out development and was reporting snakes regularly even way back in the early 90's. Wooded area, country. lake and river? I'd say yes for sure without even knowing in fact lol.

Yes there are venomous snakes throughout Fl. About 6 species out of 45.

Contact the Dept of Fish and Wildlife in Tallahassee for real data.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Unhappy Yes...Yes...Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Im seriously considering moving to either Levy, Dixie, or Gilchrist Counties (west of Gainesville/Ocala) from another State. I will want to purchase a Mobile Home in the country and in a wooded area possibly close to lakes and rivers. Are there alligators near these bodies of water or large numbers of snakes on land in wooded areas ? Are some poisinous ? Thanks.
Unfortunately...."anywhere you have fresh water"...you could have an alligator.......this concept goes as far up as North Carolina...there are even salt water alligators/crocks down in the Keys...and 2 to 3 years ago a salt water crock was caught in Fort Lauderdale...in a storm drain...a much more aggressive animal....

Snakes are everywhere....I remember being at my friends house in Cape Coral...and as I was about to pull an orange from his tree...we noticed a black snake wrapped around a branch...I guess waiting for his next meal......but what the hell....anywhere you go in the woods...you could find a snake if you looked hard enough......

Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
WE have some gators up here in the NW area of the state and snakes around the residential areas that have a forest area in the proximity.

WE have a gator or two @ Hurlburt Field, snakes will get closer to the houses while looking for a cool and shaded area...

Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Default Kitty and the Snake

About the snakes...
After scolding our half grown kitten about catching and bringing a cardinal into the house...
She shifted gears and brought us a snake in though the doggy door.
Kitty with her prize got the boot (with a broom).
She got a week of time out eating on the back porch after that one. After that the doggy door remained closed and she lost her care free privilege. And we even live in town!
Just something to think about if your going to have pets.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM

I must say after reading the replies, that im not as fired up about Florida as i was. I guess I just never gave it much thought until recently. Is there anything that can be done to keep snakes a good distance away from the yard ? Do Exterminators get involved in this kind of thing in Florida ? How effective are fake Hawks put around the yard ? Or is there something better to use ? I really like Florida and want to retire there, but this thing could be a deal-breaker if they are very frequent.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
I must say after reading the replies, that im not as fired up about Florida as i was. I guess I just never gave it much thought until recently. Is there anything that can be done to keep snakes a good distance away from the yard ? Do Exterminators get involved in this kind of thing in Florida ? How effective are fake Hawks put around the yard ? Or is there something better to use ? I really like Florida and want to retire there, but this thing could be a deal-breaker if they are very frequent.
Well not all the snakes are a danger just scare you. Like the black racers. They're big and fast LOL. But they balance the ecology out. Snakes are basically shy and avoid people but they don't know not to climb in your gym bag in the garage (lol sorry).

You should call Fish and Wildlife that's their job to pay attention to the wildlife issues. They can tell you the natural predators for snakes and ways to be "safe" but really, nothing is going to guarantee no snakes not even venomous. I'm telling you this guy in Orlando told me he'd come out to venomous snakes right in the yard or driveway and wouldnt let the kids out. But maybe it was a new development and they were displaced and getting their bearing, I'm not sure.

Certain trees for example attract rats they like the fruit they bear...so you dont' want to plant this type of tree near the house or they swing over into the window LOL....i think coconut but I'm not sure...

This is the same in my home state PA if you're anywhere in certain areas they come with the territory. My friend found a whole nest of them in her basement when she moved into an "old" new home and almost moved right back to "the city".

I don't know of any way to snake proof the outside yard/woods etc. Only screened enclosures for your pool, patio etc. And you can probably snake proof the house if your builder is good but it only takes one hole, like where the plumbing comes in. Just like with mice. Not to scare you more but you said wooded area and that's an invitation imo. Especially if you attract mice who will attract the snakes.

Why not revisit the woods thing. It's going to be really humid wherever you have thick dense forrestation, anyway with no air circulating.

The only ani1mal I know of that can sniff out snakes and live through a bite (not sure about how venomous though) are pigs (poor guys) some farmers and others use pigs for that I read it online. If you wanna be a pig farmer LOL (sorry to laugh).

There is a repellent called snake away but I dont know if I'd trust it. Probably some type of fox urine or something. Ask Fish and Wildlife, get a Field Biologist on the phone, not some state clerk.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 PM

105 posts, read 478,006 times
There are snakes all over the south. Thats just the way it is. As far as gators there as far north as georgia and alabama. If you want to get away from snakes you should take a look at Hawaii. Its the only place I've lived where there were no snakes.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I agree with the previous post that the rule of thumb is where you have fresh water you have alligators. However, like anything it isn't a problem living in close proximity with them if you simply resect them and use common sense. The same thing goes for snales. The venomous snakes down here are fairly easy to spot...they are all either pit vipers (a couple of different kinds of rattlesnale, cottonmouth, etc.) and the very brightly colored coral snake. No, fake hawks won't help or other deterrents that might be intended to frighten snakes. As was mentioned previously the food source is the way to go. Snakes eat rodents mostly; some eat other snakes and various other things but rodents are the main food. So you want to make your yard unattractive to rodents (which is not a bad thing in and of itself) and there will then be nothing there to keep the snakes coming back.

I for one love snakes and would miss my local corn snake and very long black racer!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 AM

Im going to have to rethink this whole thing. But thanks much for the valueable info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida