Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM

208 posts, read 612,260 times

Advertisements

I am not laughing either. At all! I have looked at homes for the past several weeks, checking into the ones I really want to see and for the first time today I log onto the Florida predator site. I have an offer on my home, but have no clue if I should accept it or not. I can't even comprehend having 14 offenders and 2 being predators living within 2 miles of my home. Gosh, I have airfare paid and a condo paid in full to look for a home. I can't just jump all over Florida looking for a House. I wish I would have seen the offender site before today.
I do not even know where to start now. I have 4 daughters,2 adult, 1 preteen and 1 early teen. I also have 3 grandchildren that would come and visit.
My children now enjoy riding bikes, walking the dog and hiking without supervision. My neighborhood is so safe, that they can hang out all day and never be bothered.

I just can't imagine living in fear everyday of some perv in the area. What attracts them to Florida? Why so many?

Isn't there a place where it is warm all year that is reasonably priced that is SAFE FOR CHILDREN to live like children!!!!!?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Where do you live right now where there are no sex offenders of any kind, if you do not mind me asking? And if you are looking for a more reasonably priced safe place, like I said earlier, check out North Florida, chiefly St. Johns County...

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I saw two women. The only thing about predator over offender is how the 'ring up " the charges. Like if they can get them on two imo.

Where were you looking? On this link there is not a single solitary one under 20 that would be DOB before 1987 ......there are one or two born 1986....but still...so what...that is a major age difference. Age 21 and someone under 14 (usually) or even 12 even if you want to stretch a point....without reading the flyer.

https://www.city-data.com/so/so-North-Port-Florida.html

The thing is if you watch Dateline, you cannot assume under 30 or 20 is a "poor guy" situation. I mean really, do you actually think that? Have you seen that show? It was a marathon all day on July 4th. There is a steady stream of men all ages, all jobs even Rabbis, driving all over the country for children under age.

ONE guy was a prosecutor on Pensacola and drove to freaking Michigan and then killed himself when he got caught.

These guys go there to be with a KNOWN 12 YEAR OLD. It's right in the chat transcripts. they are not being tricked....they even chat about not getting caught by police etc....

One guy thought he was meeting a 12 year old, walked right into the kitchen with nobody in there, just opened up the door....walked in...and took all his clothes off and sat at the kitchen table.

I mean, come ON ha ha

Alot of them have bad stuff though in the car...like handcuffs, duct tape etc....so I'm laughing but not really.

Yeah, you're right I don't know what I was looking at. 28 of them are under 30. Just went back and looked at the City-Data list and the Florida Dept of Law Enforcement list and they don't really match up. For example-Jamamilo, Slater, Verna are all on the City-Data list and not on the FDLE list. I only went down the list 15-20 names or so but they don't match. I don't have time to look into it because I'm packing. I'm not sure if that's where I got the difference in dates or I just screwed up.

Runswithscissors what I was talking about was the 17 year old and the 21 year old, which is still a sexual predator. I've read of a few situations like this in the area. Not a good situation but in my eyes not like the old perv that snatches a kid off the streets.

Kristen-if you are not comfortable with an area, I wouldn't move there. I would rather loose the money for a plane ticket and hotel/condo than be upset about where you purchased a home. There's good and bad about every area. I live in North Port, have three daughters and am fine where I live.

I probably will not be able to respond any more because I'm going on vacation for a few weeks starting at 4 am. Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by SoFLGal; 07-18-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
City-Data's Data is WAY off. Here's all of the people they have on the Sexual offender list for North Port that don't even live here according to their confirmed address. Of the 80 offenders that City-Data has listed 31 of them don't even live here. I would use the FDLE website as a reference instead of City-Data's info-looks like it is out dated:

Planty-Lives in Clearwater
Beliveau-Lives in Venice
Delgado-Lives in Sarasota
Barrs-Lives in Jasper
Aldacosta-Lives in Sarasota
Camon Dept of Corrections
Fusco- County Incarceration
Hinton-Lives in Tampa
Greene-Lives in MI
Jensen-Lives in New Mexico
Harsha- Lives in South Carolina
Garner- No address listed and not on FDLE site
James-Lives in Arizona
Shaw-Lives in Venice
Trombley-Lives in Vermont
Tomlin-Not on FDLE website and address unknown.
Jarmillo-Lives in Warwick, NJ
Verna-State Incarcerated
Reinhardt- On VA predators list
Hunter- No address listed and not on FDLE website
Powers-state incarceration
Raynor- Lives in Englewood
Hollman- Lives in Myakka City
Slater-Lives out of state
Sichelski- Lives in Port Charlotte
Pfund-Lives in OH
McNabb- Dept of Corrections
Lesser- Dept of corrections
Macdonald-Lives in Arcadia
Matos- Lives in OH

Old 07-19-2008, 12:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I wish they would post the actual crimes on the "sexual offender" list. Then again, I doubt the state wants to admit how many statutory rape cases where no victim was involved are listed there as well. What about all the people who are future sex offenders, where is the list of them?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
City-Data's Data is WAY off. Here's all of the people they have on the Sexual offender list for North Port that don't even live here according to their confirmed address. Of the 80 offenders that City-Data has listed 31 of them don't even live here. I would use the FDLE website as a reference instead of City-Data's info-looks like it is out dated:

Planty-Lives in Clearwater
Beliveau-Lives in Venice
Delgado-Lives in Sarasota
Barrs-Lives in Jasper
Aldacosta-Lives in Sarasota
Camon Dept of Corrections
Fusco- County Incarceration
Hinton-Lives in Tampa
Greene-Lives in MI
Jensen-Lives in New Mexico
Harsha- Lives in South Carolina
Garner- No address listed and not on FDLE site
James-Lives in Arizona
Shaw-Lives in Venice
Trombley-Lives in Vermont
Tomlin-Not on FDLE website and address unknown.
Jarmillo-Lives in Warwick, NJ
Verna-State Incarcerated
Reinhardt- On VA predators list
Hunter- No address listed and not on FDLE website
Powers-state incarceration
Raynor- Lives in Englewood
Hollman- Lives in Myakka City
Slater-Lives out of state
Sichelski- Lives in Port Charlotte
Pfund-Lives in OH
McNabb- Dept of Corrections
Lesser- Dept of corrections
Macdonald-Lives in Arcadia
Matos- Lives in OH
Well I applaud you looking into this topic as a real estate agent it does lend another level of complexity to your job.

Perhaps City Data is not up to the minute and I'm going to look at what you wrote but for every on that may have migrated to another area, you forgot there are more that belong on there who haven't made that date's list. Dept of Corr people will be released into the community and there are several on other state's lists because they have to register there when they lived there before, like one of the women there.

I was using City Data as a quick reference but the FDLE is the correct one, you're right. And it shows bad stats anyway.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yeah, you're right I don't know what I was looking at. 28 of them are under 30. Just went back and looked at the City-Data list and the Florida Dept of Law Enforcement list and they don't really match up. For example-Jamamilo, Slater, Verna are all on the City-Data list and not on the FDLE list. I only went down the list 15-20 names or so but they don't match. I don't have time to look into it because I'm packing. I'm not sure if that's where I got the difference in dates or I just screwed up.

Runswithscissors what I was talking about was the 17 year old and the 21 year old, which is still a sexual predator. I've read of a few situations like this in the area. Not a good situation but in my eyes not like the old perv that snatches a kid off the streets.

Kristen-if you are not comfortable with an area, I wouldn't move there. I would rather loose the money for a plane ticket and hotel/condo than be upset about where you purchased a home. There's good and bad about every area. I live in North Port, have three daughters and am fine where I live.

I probably will not be able to respond any more because I'm going on vacation for a few weeks starting at 4 am. Good luck with whatever you decide
I hope you're not saying under 30 is OK. That is a grown man. And even a 21 year old is messed up who goes after a 14 and younger child, IMO. I am a mother of a boy and he and his friends have no problem identifying children from legal age people. If it were one or two cases of a 17 year old we wouldn't have the national data bases and laws that we have.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I wish they would post the actual crimes on the "sexual offender" list. Then again, I doubt the state wants to admit how many statutory rape cases where no victim was involved are listed there as well. What about all the people who are future sex offenders, where is the list of them?
The actual crime is on the flyer posted on the FDLE site. The exact statue number and description of the violation is a on each flyer and in the form of a hyperlink. You can read precisely the age range of the victim and the date of the incident. It gives the DOB of the offender so it's easy to see.

Such as:

1) Sexual battery upon a person less than 12 years of age by a person 18 or older, with or without consent. ' 794.011(2)(a).
(2) Sexual battery upon a person less than 12 years of age by a person less than 18 with or without consent. ' 794.01(2)(b).
(3) Sexual battery upon a person 12 or older, by anyone without consent of the victim. ' 794.011(3), (4), (5).

Statutory rape has a VERY NARROW definition. You may be assuming all prosecutions where the victim is, say, under 16, are Statutory Rape but that is not true at all. Do you really think the state is able to cover up the fact that ALL THE SEXUAL PREDATORS on the site are poor teenage victims? Victims of hootchie mama 15 year olds.

Or are you saying that the 15 year olds [hootchie mama or not are not] are undeserving of protection.... since BY LAW they are unable to give CONSENT? Or people who urinated in public?

I mean think about it. You're saying the state wants it's predator data base to be artificially inflated with crimes that (in YOUR opinion) are not as serious as what the data base was intended to be.A more logical conspiracy theory would be NOT listing offenders as they should, imo.

The legal definition of the successor statue to the old "STATUTORY RAPE" law is as follows:

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.

(1) A person24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775-083, or s. 775-084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.[/LEFT]

I find it difficult to imagine ANY MOTHER thinking ANY of these LEGAL CRIMES are without merit as you seem to infer. The laws exist for a reason.

Further, if it is a case of a teenager with another teenager close in age and in a bf gf relationship, they tend to be worked out in the courts as you can see from this recent Florida Appellate Court ruling overturning the decision of the lower court regarding a 16 year old with a 17 year old.

http://opinions.1dca.org/written/opi...08/08-0370.pdf

There are several opinions online that anyone can read debating the value of these statutes, they have been challenged in the past. You cannot keep stuff a "secret" when it's in the courts.

You can read this opinion online, for the Florida courts opinion of why it's necessary to protect EVEN teenagers under 16 [which I'm shocked even NEEDS to be defended].......... I'm sure all the moms are in support of it, and the only people criticizing it are men.

STATE OF FLORIDA,
Appellant,

v.
LISA MARIE CUNNINGHAM,
Appellee.

. . We are of the opinion that sexual activity with a child opens the door to sexual exploitation, physical harm, and sometimes psychological damage, regardless of the child's maturity or lack of chastity. Therefore, in the instant case, it is appropriate to consider the child protection policies discussed in Schmitt. The petitioners argue that the statute is unconstitutional as applied because the girls in this case have not been harmed; they wanted to have the personal relationships they entered into with these men; and, they do not want the "protections" advanced by the State.

However, neither the level of intimacy nor the degree of harm are relevant when an adult and a child under the age of sixteen engage in sexual intercourse. The statutory protection offered by section 800.04 assures that, to the extent the law can prevent such activity, minors will not be sexually harmed. "[S]exual exploitation of children is a particularly pernicious evil that sometimes may be concealed behind the zone of privacy that normally shields the home. The state unquestionably has a very compelling interest in preventing such conduct." 590 So. 2d at 410.[/LEFT]

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-19-2008 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
I am not laughing either. At all! I have looked at homes for the past several weeks, checking into the ones I really want to see and for the first time today I log onto the Florida predator site. I have an offer on my home, but have no clue if I should accept it or not. I can't even comprehend having 14 offenders and 2 being predators living within 2 miles of my home. Gosh, I have airfare paid and a condo paid in full to look for a home. I can't just jump all over Florida looking for a House. I wish I would have seen the offender site before today.
I do not even know where to start now. I have 4 daughters,2 adult, 1 preteen and 1 early teen. I also have 3 grandchildren that would come and visit.
My children now enjoy riding bikes, walking the dog and hiking without supervision. My neighborhood is so safe, that they can hang out all day and never be bothered.

I just can't imagine living in fear everyday of some perv in the area. What attracts them to Florida? Why so many?

Isn't there a place where it is warm all year that is reasonably priced that is SAFE FOR CHILDREN to live like children!!!!!?????
Kristin you need to come down anyway. I flew back and forth almost weekly for months when I was trying to move and find a town and place. You may be surprised to see the area and that you wouldnt have to worry about them doing the same things because there is nowhere to HIKE or ride bike TO anyway, just the neighborhood. Florida is different. But say, there's a community swimming pool, you would never let them go there without you. It's just not a good idea from the lack of supervision to the pool part.

I haven't seen one kid bike riding in Vero Beach in 3 months come to think of it.

Frequently what looks good from afar turns out being not what you want.

I don't know where you live....it's different in ALOT of the USA. I never allowed my son to go out into the woods (in an extremely safe area in Pa) way back in about 1990. He was only allowed to ride his bike from my development to the one next door through one back road and the other mom was waiting for him and I called to follow up.

All I'm saying is, use the ticket and condo and do your research HERE. I'm sure if you're moving to a family neighborhood filled with kids and parents all active in the community the people living down the road won't seem as large looming. And YES there are other less worrisome areas. I named Tequesta for one and Jupiter, both very popular for people moving to.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 AM

208 posts, read 612,260 times
Where I live in Pa my kids are safe. We can be out back in the pool and leave the front door wide open. My neighbors visit us and leave their garage doors opened. Doors are never locked. I guess I never realized how bad other people had it.
My parents lived in Naples for over 10 years. They lived in a HOA development and then built a home in the estates in the middle of nowhere. When I was there I always felt safe. We would take long walks... of course he lived on a dead end.
I just can't believe there are 110 offenders in 1 zip code.
Just crazy.
Prices are just too high for us in these other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida