Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM

21 posts, read 79,358 times

Advertisements

I am a native Floridian, and I am disgusted with the way my state has been ruined. We have become the nation's old folks home! Retirees come down here and clog traffic with their slow driving, fill up resturants all day long (because they don't have anything else to do), and refuse to vote for necessary taxes for schools because their grandkids live in another state!

There are cities in Florida (Naples, St. Petersburg, Lakeland, etc.) where it looks like that movie Cocoon everywhere you go!

I know growing old is part of life, and older people have earned the support/aide of the young --but why can't it be where they came from??!! It's not right to give all the strength of your working years in one state, then move somewhere else and say to the people there, "Take care of me."

I know that they bring their retirement money with them, but it runs out! Everybody knows that many people outlive their provision for old age --and then what? Are they going to go back to New York and run up huge medical bills at the county hospitals that they can't pay? No, they become a burden to the people of Florida.

I believe very much in honoring the elderly. Every year as my mother (and I) grow older, I treasure her more and more. But my mom was born and worked all her life in Florida. She deserves to bask in our sunshine now.

There should be interstate immigration limits on how many elderly people can move here, just like the limits we have on people who wash up on our beaches and just keep coming, and coming, and coming.

Thinking of retiring to Florida? Don't. Enough is enough!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,928,533 times
Did you get into an accident on Pines Blvd near Century Village?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 79,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Did you get into an accident on Pines Blvd near Century Village?

No, but I've been in the Publix on Pines and Flamingo Road. Anyone under 60 gets a lot of dirty looks. As for traffic in that area, those people actually refuse to move for police or ambulances. Ironic, since its highly likely that the patient in the ambulance is another old codger.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staykay View Post
I am a native Floridian, and I am disgusted with the way my state has been ruined. We have become the nation's old folks home! Retirees come down here and clog traffic with their slow driving, fill up resturants all day long (because they don't have anything else to do), and refuse to vote for necessary taxes for schools because their grandkids live in another state!

There are cities in Florida (Naples, St. Petersburg, Lakeland, etc.) where it looks like that movie Cocoon everywhere you go!

I know growing old is part of life, and older people have earned the support/aide of the young --but why can't it be where they came from??!! It's not right to give all the strength of your working years in one state, then move somewhere else and say to the people there, "Take care of me."

I know that they bring their retirement money with them, but it runs out! Everybody knows that many people outlive their provision for old age --and then what? Are they going to go back to New York and run up huge medical bills at the county hospitals that they can't pay? No, they become a burden to the people of Florida.

I believe very much in honoring the elderly. Every year as my mother (and I) grow older, I treasure her more and more. But my mom was born and worked all her life in Florida. She deserves to bask in our sunshine now.

There should be interstate immigration limits on how many elderly people can move here, just like the limits we have on people who wash up on our beaches and just keep coming, and coming, and coming.

FL does have the highest % of people over 65 than any other state. Should a critical number of these people outlive their money, it could put a great financial burden on the state, especially if they require state assistance for long term care.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,773,506 times
Don't worry. They will not be retiring to Florida as hyperinflation is going to wipe out their finances. Most elderly are on Medicare anyway, so it is the federal government who is going deeper into the hole, while Florida becomes overrun with hospitals and "medical centers".

Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't worry. They will not be retiring to Florida as hyperinflation is going to wipe out their finances. Most elderly are on Medicare anyway, so it is the federal government who is going deeper into the hole, while Florida becomes overrun with hospitals and "medical centers".
Tallrick,,,To my knowledge, Medicare does not cover nursing home expenses over 100 days of stay and those 100 days are only if they occurs after a hospitalization. The state Medicaid program covers the cost after that person's assets are liquidated and used to cover expenses.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM

90 posts, read 353,250 times
Quote:

What an awful post. Shame on you!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,675,920 times
Default I will be 60 this year

Quote:

My husband moved to Florida because of a JOB 4 years ago. That was really the only reason. I have a job too. We own both a condo and a single family home. Together our combined SALARIES are over $100,000. We are paying our fair share of taxes, insurance, etc., in this state.

We plan to retire in about 5 years. When that times comes, we will sell off everything we own here, and actually retire BACK to New York where our children (grandkids?), and our hearts are. I have no desire to become a JOKE when I am old. I have no desire to group together with only the elderly. That would be very depressing for me. I want to just blend into a mixed community of young, old, and everything in between. I can certainly do that much better in New York.

For all those years we paid NY State Income Taxes, very high property taxes, etc., we will get back what we put into it for decades THERE.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM

464 posts, read 1,743,106 times
Quote:

REPLY: How old are your parents ?! Do you plan on getting older or, are you going to stay the same age ?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM

464 posts, read 1,743,106 times
'It's not right to give all the strength of your working years in one state, then move somewhere else and say to the people there, "Take care of me."

REPLY: Nearly all Seniors are on Social Security/Medicare , so Florida isnt going to 'have to take of them' . Many Seniors want to retire to Florida because in many areas of Florida, it is far cheaper living ; can you blame a person for wanting thier hard earned money to go as far as possible during retirement ? . Plus sunshine 300 days out of the year and no snow is very appealing . Not to mention the nice Golf Courses and Beaches. Part of our American Freedom is to live where we desire within the Nation , and it is wrong to discriminate based on age or if a person looks weathered due to age. The same Freedom is extended to you ; if you like, you can relocate to a different State . If you dont want to , then you have that Freedom too. Please dont come down on the Elderly because if you do, you essentially dishonor your very own Parents whom im willing to bet are approaching 'old age' . Instead of looking down on Old Folks that live near you, just shout out : ' Howdy Neighbor , hope you have a nice day !' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida