Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
and let the giant cockroaches in .
Going off on a tangent from that, when I first moved up north, I couldn't believe that so many apartments and houses I looked at had windows with no screens. Growing up in Florida, and especially growing up with an irrational fear of bees, wasps, etc. (which has lessened over the years but never went away), it seemed like utter insanity to me to have windows with no screens, lol.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Anyone from any state can post on this poll with just a city data account. I am sure many have. There was also another similar thread which was posted on this and another state board with similar results. Anyway, Florida is no longer THE place to move to. North Carolina, Tenneesse, Pa., are becoming much more popular.

I don't need this poll to confirm what I already know from PEOPLE I know who don't post on here. Hell, a few of my husband long time friends and cowokers wouldn't even come to Florida to VISIT, let alone consider moving here.

Florida is getting a very bad reputation around the country. I guess that is why the state is bending over backwards to "attract" residents.
Since I am relatively new to Florida (Tampa) can you tell me my it is getting a bad rep and what else I should be aware of besides the bugs, rednecks and low education standards? Thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Wouldn't that be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Since I am relatively new to Florida (Tampa) can you tell me my it is getting a bad rep and what else I should be aware of besides the bugs, rednecks and low education standards? Thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Your post doesn't make any sense.....

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
I think they still have an impact fee on vehicle registration, property taxes and insurance is ungodly...

summer, fall, and spring heat is obnoxious.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
They got rid of the impact fee in 1993 I think, just before I moved there in 1994. Now you just pay $100 for your tag when you register. I heard it was $400-$500 back when. Florida is cheap to register a car.

I agree on the rest about the taxes and insurance. A lot higher in FL than here in MA for my car insurance alone, a difference of 60% higher there in FL. Which is pretty sad since people claim it to be so expensive up here. Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I think they still have an impact fee on vehicle registration, property taxes and insurance is ungodly...

summer, fall, and spring heat is obnoxious.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
as you can see, a lot of the complaining is done by people not even living in florida! i lived in both florida and new jersey at one time. you do not have to have car inspection in florida so that is great news for car owners. there is no impact fee. my car insurance runs 500 a year for a honda civic. i don't know if that is cheaper than other states but i certainly think it is reasonable. you have to do your homework and compare rates if you want cheaper insurance since it is a competitive field.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM

As you can see some people just like to attack any posts put on here by people not living there, but that is ok to do, unless we post all happy things.
And I did live there for 15 years until a couple weeks ago THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I HAVE experience living there, I did do comparison shopping for insurance, I know what I am talking about, not just blurting out random dribble...

There is a $100 fee for each plate you get, I would call that an impact fee, right???

My insurance there is $325 for 6 months, here it is $162... That is all I said, I was NOT complaining at all about Florida, read my whole post first. Did I not say it is cheaper to register in FLORIDA? I don't see the complaint???? I was saying that people HERE complain it is so expensive when it's really not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
as you can see, a lot of the complaining is done by people not even living in florida! i lived in both florida and new jersey at one time. you do not have to have car inspection in florida so that is great news for car owners. there is no impact fee. my car insurance runs 500 a year for a honda civic. i don't know if that is cheaper than other states but i certainly think it is reasonable. you have to do your homework and compare rates if you want cheaper insurance since it is a competitive field.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
In New Jersey, my wife, as someone who held a license less than three years in the US (she's from another country), was paying over $3000 per year for car insurance. After the three years were up, after no accidents/tickets, etc., and after lots of shopping around, she "only" pays $1400 per year.

New Jersey, though, supposedly has some of the highest auto insurance rates. Apparently this has something to do with the laws here--and because of that, State Farm, one of the biggest insurance companies in the US, wouldn't even bother to do auto insurance here for many years; it was only a few years ago they finally started offering it--I don't know if the state finally relaxed those laws in favor of the insurance companies or if State Farm just finally figured out a way to make it worthwhile to get into the game. NJ also has some of the highest property tax rates, so the property taxes we've seen so far in Florida look cheap to us . . . <shrug>

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 AM

Some states are crazy with thier insurance laws, Massachusetts is such a nightmare most big companies will not write here. I don't understand why it is cheaper here. Florida has a high rate due to all the fools that don't have insurance and caused it to go up, and so many claims due to hurricanes, thefts. It was cheap in the 90's when I first went there, I had an Audi 4000 Quattro in 1995 that cost me $500 for a year at full coverage. I have a perfect record in my 20 years driving. I now pay $325 for basic insurance for 6 months. I heard NJ was pretty expensive, my brother in law was living there, he just moved to MA and his insurance went down $1100 a year. Florida is not that bad, but it used to be a lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
In New Jersey, my wife, as someone who held a license less than three years in the US (she's from another country), was paying over $3000 per year for car insurance. After the three years were up, after no accidents/tickets, etc., and after lots of shopping around, she "only" pays $1400 per year.

New Jersey, though, supposedly has some of the highest auto insurance rates. Apparently this has something to do with the laws here--and because of that, State Farm, one of the biggest insurance companies in the US, wouldn't even bother to do auto insurance here for many years; it was only a few years ago they finally started offering it--I don't know if the state finally relaxed those laws in favor of the insurance companies or if State Farm just finally figured out a way to make it worthwhile to get into the game. NJ also has some of the highest property tax rates, so the property taxes we've seen so far in Florida look cheap to us . . . <shrug>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida