Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,516 times

Advertisements

My friends always goto Ft. Island Beach and there are lots of dogs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,052 times
My family is moving to Homosassa Springs, south of Crystal River, within weeks. I'm retired and wife is caregiver of her son, Mentally impaired (23 going on 6), we are also guardians of Grand-daughter who will be 13. I'm concerned about school for her. I'm retired, if the schools are as bad (Middle Schools) as I have been reading, we may end up home - schooling. I'm interested in energy costs...Central Air.

Regardless, we're already packing....

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 AM

60 posts, read 149,799 times
Have you tried googling it? Thats very confusing I agree

Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitronics View Post
My family is moving to Homosassa Springs, south of Crystal River, within weeks. I'm retired and wife is caregiver of her son, Mentally impaired (23 going on 6), we are also guardians of Grand-daughter who will be 13. I'm concerned about school for her. I'm retired, if the schools are as bad (Middle Schools) as I have been reading, we may end up home - schooling. I'm interested in energy costs...Central Air.

Regardless, we're already packing....
I'm going to guess $200......maybe $250 at worst. I only have 1 large window unit I run it may hit $100, but I don't use 2 of my 3 bedrooms so they are closed off.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,232 times
where did you move to

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,665 times
Default Where to bring your dog to swim

You can take her to Hunter Springs Park. It's lovely there and perfect for that. It's not far from Kings Bay.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,665 times
Default Looking for data on Homosassa

Pianogal answered you well re the beaches. And there's a little family park near Kings Bay called Hunter Springs Park which is not a beach per se but is on an inlet and has a little "beachlet", and is very nice and laid back. People check out the different natural springs here in the area, which are open to the public, and there's lots of kayaking and snorkeling. Boating is big. The Fort Island Trail Beach is extremely nice. Yes, it's much small than Orlando or Daytona. Parking is tight.

Homosassa is where you go when you don't want to be in a busy suburban area. I have yet to experience ANY bad traffic. Maybe during a big festival. Every necessity is very close, but bigger chain stores are 25-30 minutes away. Folks are very relaxed. Many retired.

Re schools as reported by Zillow, it rates a 7 out of 9. In fact, only 1 county in all FL (Clay County--St. Augustine, St. Johns...) rates a 9. And only a handful rate 7's and 8's. The Homosassa Elementary St. is rated a 9.

The area is LOW on crime. Low on drugs. Big on community awareness, volunteering to help with the quality of the parks, waterways and the wildlife and lending a hand to others--BIG on easily available fresh local produce & clean family-fun social activities (there's always a nearby festival going on--I think one for every fruit, fish and music style, including pirate festivals and bull-riding; sometimes across county lines, but everybody is very "neighborly" in the gamut. [You think I'm being pollyanna--I'm not: this is what they DO here!]

We moved here from Jacksonville. Big town. Second highest crime rate in the US--about a murder a day. VERY low schooling poles. HEAVY traffic, and it took 30-40 minutes to get to the other side of town. Now my work, my groceries, my hairdresser, local public tennis courts, fitness center, fresh local produce (including fresh local organic eggs and farm-fresh milk) are all from 3-6 minutes away. The beach is 15-20 minutes away--not 40, and sizeable multiple public boat docks are 10-15 minutes away.

Prices are low. Taxes are low (NO county surtax, and of course no income tax for FL). Lots of open spaces, cow pastures and huge old live oaks and Spanish moss.

Brooksville and Spring Hill (25 and 30 minutes away, respectively) have all those brand name shops you're used to. And get an Amazon Prime membership for free shipping on specialty items you can't do without.

Tampa is exactly 1 hour away by the toll rode: FL State Rd. 589, Veterans Expwy & Suncoast Pkwy. But once you get off it onto Hillsborough or any other Ave., don't delude yourself that you'll go the next 3 miles in less than a half hour!

Are we happy to be here? YOU BETCHA!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
The nature park is one of my favorite places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyji View Post
Pianogal answered you well re the beaches. And there's a little family park near Kings Bay called Hunter Springs Park which is not a beach per se but is on an inlet and has a little "beachlet", and is very nice and laid back. People check out the different natural springs here in the area, which are open to the public, and there's lots of kayaking and snorkeling. Boating is big. The Fort Island Trail Beach is extremely nice. Yes, it's much small than Orlando or Daytona. Parking is tight.

Homosassa is where you go when you don't want to be in a busy suburban area. I have yet to experience ANY bad traffic. Maybe during a big festival. Every necessity is very close, but bigger chain stores are 25-30 minutes away. Folks are very relaxed. Many retired.

Re schools as reported by Zillow, it rates a 7 out of 9. In fact, only 1 county in all FL (Clay County--St. Augustine, St. Johns...) rates a 9. And only a handful rate 7's and 8's. The Homosassa Elementary St. is rated a 9.

The area is LOW on crime. Low on drugs. Big on community awareness, volunteering to help with the quality of the parks, waterways and the wildlife and lending a hand to others--BIG on easily available fresh local produce & clean family-fun social activities (there's always a nearby festival going on--I think one for every fruit, fish and music style, including pirate festivals and bull-riding; sometimes across county lines, but everybody is very "neighborly" in the gamut. [You think I'm being pollyanna--I'm not: this is what they DO here!]

We moved here from Jacksonville. Big town. Second highest crime rate in the US--about a murder a day. VERY low schooling poles. HEAVY traffic, and it took 30-40 minutes to get to the other side of town. Now my work, my groceries, my hairdresser, local public tennis courts, fitness center, fresh local produce (including fresh local organic eggs and farm-fresh milk) are all from 3-6 minutes away. The beach is 15-20 minutes away--not 40, and sizeable multiple public boat docks are 10-15 minutes away.

Prices are low. Taxes are low (NO county surtax, and of course no income tax for FL). Lots of open spaces, cow pastures and huge old live oaks and Spanish moss.

Brooksville and Spring Hill (25 and 30 minutes away, respectively) have all those brand name shops you're used to. And get an Amazon Prime membership for free shipping on specialty items you can't do without.

Tampa is exactly 1 hour away by the toll rode: FL State Rd. 589, Veterans Expwy & Suncoast Pkwy. But once you get off it onto Hillsborough or any other Ave., don't delude yourself that you'll go the next 3 miles in less than a half hour!

Are we happy to be here? YOU BETCHA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida