Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2006, 05:18 AM

23 posts, read 117,580 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about calling it home, but would like more info. How the cost of home owners and do they have a sinkhole problem like they have in Spring Hill?
I need to get as much info as possible. I'm thinking about taking a job in St Petes. How are the area hospitals? Anyone work for "All Children's"?

Last edited by MTFRED; 05-29-2006 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 07:00 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,526 times
Hi there! I lived in New Port Richey for 2 yrs. in very different areas. One was deed restricted- which, as you probably know, has it's pros and cons. Things around were newer... actually nice. The other was a house close to the river... (Shirley Temple's childhood home was on the street- old charming area- spotty though-) I believe they were doing a lot in that area for growth and improvement. I don't feel that the old New Port Richey is very nice on the whole. There are some spots that are good though. I read on a few posts before yours - the same kind of question- there may be some good responses there as well. Also, if I may, living in NPR and traveling to St. Petersburg to work each day could be a challenge. It's about 40 mins from NPR to Clearwater... my husband had to make that commute at one point and it was awful. There are nicer places to live when you work in St. Pete... even St. Pete itself has some good places. I know there was some tension (riots or something) in the predominately African American neighborhoods a couple of years ago. Maybe you'd like to investigate (maybe, old St. Pete Times newspapers online?) . Also, some areas of St. Pete are rather pricey now. Clearwater or maybe Largo would be good spots for a tolerable commute... Depending where in St. Pete you actually have your job. I hope I was of some help.

Last edited by pioneer8; 05-29-2006 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,419 times
Mtfred, yeah the commute to St.Pete from NPR is really not feasable for much longer. When we were house hunting in NPR, we met some folks there who said it takes them more than an hour to get to All Children's (the husband works there). The traffic here is getting worse and worse as more people are moving here everyday and the sprawl is creeping out even as far as Hernando county. The thing is there are only TWO major roads out of Pinellas going north. And there are a bizzillion people trying to make that same commute since it's becoming more difficult to find any affordable homes here. All the areas north are growing like crazy with new developments. You really would be better off living down in Pinellas. There is Tarpon Springs, which is a town very much like NPR with an inlet going thru town and a very cute downtown, but closer and I imagine the commute would be better, although still pretty far from St. Pete.

There are lots of nice areas around here but the cost is kinda high and yes the insurance is skyrocketing. A coworker of mine was cancelled three times since last year. His home is 1600 sq', not near the beach and he just got his new "adjustment" ... $4300 per year! More than doubled. I have heard of some folks with larger homes geting raised to as much as $6000 - $8000! That's alot of wasted cash per month that could be going into your IRA or whatever... For some, it's more than what their income can bear. Others that can afford it just see it as part of the price of living in "paradise" lol.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:12 PM

23 posts, read 117,580 times
Thanks for the heads up. Any further info would be greatly appreciated. I'll check other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida