Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,742,623 times

Advertisements

Im moving to the Panhandle (inland about 40 minutes) and im wondering if anyone living in the Panhandle , inland, has evacuated ? If so, what Hurricane strength was it and was your property severly flooded ? What has been the frequency of major Hurricanes that hit the Panhandle near Pensacola ? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times
Did evacuate for Ivan and Dennis: two times in 11 years....

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Did evacuate for Ivan and Dennis: two times in 11 years....
I guess twice in 11 years isnt bad at all. Was there damage to your property ? Do you live inland ? Are Thieves a concern, in general, when there is a mass evacuation ... and is it quick to evacuate once the signal is given ? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM

164 posts, read 985,106 times
I lived 100 yards from the gulf in Navarre when IVAN came through. I did not evacuate but if I had to do it over I would have. Its was a tense scary situation as that storm just hung in one place and rocked my house for an entire night. I have never left before or since but if it creeps into cat 4 range I might consider leaving next time.

40 minutes inland: me personally I wouldnt let it bother me but then again im nuts

The one thing about hurricanes vs tornadoes is at least you have a few days notice a hurricane is coming.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
I lived 100 yards from the gulf in Navarre when IVAN came through. I did not evacuate but if I had to do it over I would have. Its was a tense scary situation as that storm just hung in one place and rocked my house for an entire night. I have never left before or since but if it creeps into cat 4 range I might consider leaving next time.

40 minutes inland: me personally I wouldnt let it bother me but then again im nuts

The one thing about hurricanes vs tornadoes is at least you have a few days notice a hurricane is coming.

Boy, it must be super living just 100 yards from the Beach ; but I guess theres no buffer zone when a Hurricane of any magnitude approaches. How bad was the storm surge at your property when Ivan hit ? Didnt the sea go way beyond 100 yards inland ? Or, was it the constant downpour of rain from it churning over your house for so long ? Ill bet it was scary listening to 140 mph winds ; did it sound like a Freight Train as i so often hear ??? Do you have Hurricane insurance out of curiousity ?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
I have never had to evacuate.

But I live on top of a hill 45 miles from the coast, so...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM

247 posts, read 1,290,175 times
Did Pensacola take the direct hit from Opal, Ivan and Dennis?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 AM

62 posts, read 348,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
Did Pensacola take the direct hit from Opal, Ivan and Dennis?
If I remember right Opal was 40 miles east of Pcola

Pcola took what you can say was a direct hit from Ivan

I left for Ivan when I lived in Pensacola. I have lived in the Panhandle for 30+ years.

Ivan got the roof of my business which was a mile off the bay.

40 Miles inland you are fine IMO.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM

'40 Miles inland you are fine IMO'

REPLY: Then being that far inland takes alot of the punch out of a Hurricane ?? Thats comforting to me. I guess you trade some things when you want to live right on the coast : Beauty most of the time, for lack of security some of the time (?)

Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

164 posts, read 985,106 times
The sound of the wind that strong and for that long is deafening. It felt like an eternity waiting for IVAN to pass. I could hear things crashing into my home all night which felt like cars hitting the house. My home sat about 50 feet about the water (prestorm) and I had water surge all the way to my back door. Your home owners policy has a hurricane deductible built in that is ussually either 2 or 5 % of the damage.

You can say you get used to those storms and you can only prepare so much. I went through typhoon Omar on Guam with 200mph winds and it didnt bother me as much as IVAN. I think because it was if IVAN just stalled out on top of us and wouldnt leave.

The next morning looked like a bomb went off in my area. Hwy 98 was littered with boats, houses, and everything in between. Next Cat 4 im moving inland for sure.

good luck with the move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida