Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 AM

442 posts, read 2,912,496 times

Advertisements

well I stil think you can hear them in a house here? after all most houses here are'nt built like they are up north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
I am also shocked to know that Florida does not have a siren system to give people warning of tornadoes. It's pretty ridiculous really. My family was sleeping in bed the other night when we were supposed to be taking cover. How hard would it be to let off a simple siren to let people know of impending danger? I would have had my family taking cover. It's sickening really, especially when you consider the amount of taxes this state charges people (property taxes). Tsk tsk... how many lives need to be lost before warning sirens are installed? Haven't they seen the movie Twister????

Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 AM

232 posts, read 886,536 times
that is kind of a shocker...how about the news and radios?? do they not at least warn everyone???

Old 02-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
that is kind of a shocker...how about the news and radios?? do they not at least warn everyone???
They do, but it was 3 a.m... so we were sleeping in bed. No radios or tv's on. I knew it was storming but had no clue it was that bad or dangerous.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
The killer tornadoes which occurred early Friday happened between 3 and 4 in the morning.
Now Thursday night I did look at the weather service online and heard about the tornado watch; for us here in the northwest, the tornado watch was from approx 5pm, expiring at 10pm. And like I said, I could swear I heard sirens that evening--we live near an airforce base, maybe they came from there.

I don't know how much warning the people in central Florida had in terms of the news,but at 3 or 4am, most people are in bed, not watching the news.
You would think that maybe some watched the evening news and were warned, though.
Whether there was anyplace to go is another story, I suppose.

In Denver we always had sirens. Also, if it was late afternoon and you looked at the sky and it looked green or purple or just plain funny, you knew something was up, that there was some rotation going on. However, in Colorado, same as here, tornadoes can indeed occur at crazy times of night, especially further out on the plains.

There should be sirens state-wide.
It might not help everyone, but I know that it would wake me up, I'm a light sleeper anyway.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
They do, but it was 3 a.m... so we were sleeping in bed. No radios or tv's on. I knew it was storming but had no clue it was that bad or dangerous.
That's is why you need a weather radio. You don't have to have it on from what I understand. When the warning goes out it is activated and I believe even sounds an alarm to wake you and you begin getting up to the second information. I would even prefer that to some alarm the city would have that who knows if it would even work when it was needed. Again, you need to take care of yourself and family, not depend on others.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That's is why you need a weather radio. You don't have to have it on from what I understand. When the warning goes out it is activated and I believe even sounds an alarm to wake you and you begin getting up to the second information. I would even prefer that to some alarm the city would have that who knows if it would even work when it was needed. Again, you need to take care of yourself and family, not depend on others.
I agree. I didn't know about them though until after the tornadoes. I will be getting one...

Old 02-04-2007, 12:45 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Great Idea that is way overdue. Sirens and facilities/shelters and the capability to open them as soon as possible will be a great resource for all the communities. Great post CUSE.

Did you all remember the Civil Defence program back in the 60 and 70's? Now this is under the State Emergency Team.

Did the weather service acted promptly to notify the local county authorities? Normally this can be identified before hand and take actions at the local level to inform the community... But no sirens or "Giant VOICE" in place prevents actions that will save lifes...

"Recognizing the state's vulnerability to natural disasters, the Florida
legislature responded in 1941 by enacting the Florida Civil Defense Council Act, Chapter 202.1.2 Florida Statutes. This Act preceded some ten years of general laws intended to regulate disaster preparedness. The 1941 Act authorized the Governor to establish a State Defense Council by proclamation in times of need or emergency. The Governor appointed members to the Council and served as its chairman."

Shelter Planning
Having identified shelter resources in the host counties, it is necessary
to analyze shelter demand to determine the adequacy or inadequacy of
accommodation.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
macguy or anyone
Do you think Radio Shack would have Weather Radios?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
macguy or anyone
Do you think Radio Shack would have Weather Radios?

They do, you can also look in the outdoor equipment @ Sears, Target, K-mart or just google it.

See this one: http://www.weatherradiostore.com/

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-04-2007 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: