Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 97,074 times

Advertisements

On this list of choices to live which places should I stay away from and which ones so I look into more? My lifestyle - IM not trying to move to a very RICH area but also looking for a nice/clean area..IM 23 Single, the reason why IM moving to FL is to become a navy recruiter so IM looking for an area that has people from 18-30..not an extremely wealthy area but nice. At first iM going to rent for the first year or 2..Avg probably no more than $1,500 a month. Also it definitely can't be a spring breakers all time.Thank You

Kendall
Perrine
Miami Metro
Hialeah
Hialeah
North Miami Beach
Hollywood
Pembrooke Pines
Plantation
Fort Lauderdale
Margate
Delray Beach
Lake Worth
West Palm Beach
Fort Pierce
West Palm Beach
Naples
South Fort Myers
Port Charlotte
Sarasota
Bradenton
Saint Petersburg
Clearwater
North West Tampa
Port Richey
Brooksville
Lakeland
Winter Haven
Brandon
Temple Terrace

Last edited by Matty K; 02-06-2007 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 03:05 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
[quote=Matty K;342522]On this list of choices to live which places should I stay away from and which ones so I look into more? My lifestyle - IM not trying to move to a very RICH area but also looking for a nice/clean area..Thanks!

Matty K,

You might want to do a poll on this one and provide a better visual of the responses.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I think you need to give people more information what you are looking for. From your list, these places are widely different.

Give us info like, how old you are, married or not married, kids, price range, condo, townhouse, house, etc...

I can say I would take Hialeah off the list.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-06-2007 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Stay away from Fort Pierce. Also, if you're going to live in downtown West Palm Beach, stay East of I-95, South of Clematis, and North of Forest Hills Blvd. (You can go as far East as you'd like till you hit ocean).

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

12 posts, read 36,587 times
As a recruiter you could "work" all of the areas and with $1,500/month you can defenitely find someplace to rent.Every area had good and shady/dangerous blocks ect.You need to move somewhere obviously nice and then scope out and get to know where you are at and tenants can change from good to bad and a neighborhood be affected by that in an instant.And then when they are arrested change back )

Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
I agree with TriMT7, stay away from Ft. Pierce. Port St. Lucie is okay but FT. Pierce is horrible unless you are on the beach. Lot's of crime, drugs, etc. Plus, very little life for the single man or woman.

Naples is beautiful but VERY expensive and mostly over 65.

I went to college in Lakeland and loved it. That was, however, awhile back. I would put it on a short list and do further research.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM

232 posts, read 886,695 times
VBMom what is FT??? hum I just tried to send this and it said it was to short and had to be 20 characters??? go figure so I am writing more

Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I think she just accidentally capitalized the "T" in Ft. FT = "Fort"

Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

59 posts, read 88,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
On this list of choices to live which places should I stay away from and which ones so I look into more? My lifestyle - IM not trying to move to a very RICH area but also looking for a nice/clean area..IM 23 Single, the reason why IM moving to FL is to become a navy recruiter so IM looking for an area that has people from 18-30..not an extremely wealthy area but nice. At first iM going to rent for the first year or 2..Avg probably no more than $1,500 a month. Also it definitely can't be a spring breakers all time.Thank You

Kendall
Perrine
Miami Metro
Hialeah
Hialeah
North Miami Beach
Hollywood
Pembrooke Pines
Plantation
Fort Lauderdale
Margate
Delray Beach
Lake Worth
West Palm Beach
Fort Pierce
West Palm Beach
Naples
South Fort Myers
Port Charlotte
Sarasota
Bradenton
Saint Petersburg
Clearwater
North West Tampa
Port Richey
Brooksville
Lakeland
Winter Haven
Brandon
Temple Terrace
Matty K,

If you want a nice/clean place, you need to stay AWAY from these cities:

Hollywood- I don't know much, but I heard that crime is high in Hollywood
South Fort Myers-- Crime is bad in Fort Myers
Bradenton-- This city IS NOT want you want! Believe me, I lived there!
Saint Petersburg--Too Much Crime
North West Tampa-- Way to much crime
Brandon-- Some Crime

Nice Cities on Your List:
Naples (This is a nice city, but VERY expensive!!)

Cape Coral is also a nice city. Cape Coral is in Lee County, near Fort Myers. Ranked 3rd Safest City in Florida with Population over 100,000. And despite what some people on this forum might say, Cape is a nice city. Southeast Cape Coral would be your best choice.

Happy Choosing!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
St. Petersburg of Pinellas County should be your first choice. Lived there after moving from up north for FIVE VERY HAPPY years, and it was such a good advertisement for FL (I thought!) that I moved down to Ft. Myers thinking life would be the same. Forget Ft. Myers. It has been the most miserable period of time in my life. I own here so that is why I haven't just bolted, but I'm to the point where I am either going to go back to St. Pete and pay for sustain two households to do it or I'm leaving FL altogether. Cape Coral is too close to all the other trouble in Lee County - Ft. Myers being one of them - so no way. If you are making a quality of life decision, please don't come to Lee County. I don't know about your work situation, but if you need to work, finding jobs in Lee County - regardless of the stats of HOW MANY are available - will be tough. And the pay for what I did for 20 years of my life is at the rate of what I earned when I was first starting out. So, please know that, too. Getting job interviews, getting jobs, and getting paid will be easier up in Pinellas or Hillsborough. Moving to Lee County is what you do when you hate yourself or want to see just exactly how much you can endure. Just my opinion for whatever it is worth, but I've lived in some of the places on your list. And as far as crime goes, there are more people up in Pinellas and Hillsborough, and yet their crime is lower than Lee County. That should tell you something. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida