Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think more unions and a higher union membership be good for Florida?
Yes 12 40.00%
No 18 60.00%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times

Advertisements

Do you think more unions and a higher union membership be good for Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM

110 posts, read 550,360 times
Default When I think of unions...

When I think of unions, 3 industries come to mind.

Automobile
Airlines
Post Office

None of these businesses are doing particularly well. The big 3 automakers have been slaughtered by foreign competition. The airlines have perennial profitabiltiy problems. The USPS has been inefficient and losing business.

What Florida needs is young dynamic growing companies. These are not going to be unionized. Do you want old industries or new industries?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
When I think of "professional" unions I think of Bar Association, and the American Medical Association. These are professional organizations function the same way, professional protection and lobbying. AARP does the same thing for older folks.

When I think of "trade" unions I think of Electricains, plumbers, masons, carpenters, machinists, painters, roofers, truckers, police, firefighters, teachers, utility workers, welders, refinery workers, etc. These people have formal training and/or education necessary for competance.

When I think of non unions I think of farm labor, day labor, landscapers, gardeners, auto mechanics, service companies.

I think most would agree if we have anyone working for us, on something we own, or in an important occupation (nuclear), good training/education is paramount. We have too many workers who have limited or no training that have entered the ''trades". Unions promote training and establish work standards for the benefit of all. Are they perfect? heck no... but unions still have their place.

We shouldn't just see the manufacturing/postal/airline unions as representitive all working people.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,931,373 times
When I was first starting my working life I always said that the non-union workers owed a lot to the efforts of the unions. Health benefits, wages, work conditions, work hours. All these benefits were the results of labor fighting to establish worker rights.

Now with globalization unions are loosing their benefit here in the USA. Now labor activists need to focus on worker rights in developing countries. Here in the USA our standard of living requires a higher hourly wage than in China, Vietnam, India. So we see global corporations manufacturing products and shipping them to the consuming nations.

Until labor law, wages, and conditions in developing nations are on par with the developed nations unions here will disadvantage local business. In today's environment licensing is the means that ensures a base standard in competency. Education and job training are what's need to create a more skilled workforce. The quality of the workforce is a major component in the decision to start or move business into an area.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM

558 posts, read 1,836,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Do you think more unions and a higher union membership be good for Florida?
YES!!!

But first they need to change the Right to Work (for less) laws that hold unions back. Otherwise the unions will be required by law to use their resources ($$) to defend those freeloading non-paying scabs. If you want employment at a union company then you should be required to pay the union dues. If you don't like unions then DON'T TAKE EMPLOYMENT AT A UNION JOB. It is not fair to the union or it's members when these freeloaders get to have union pay, benefits and arbitration without paying their dues.

The unions in Florida are a disgrace and joke compared to what they are in PA. I witnessed this first hand. They really have zero power here.

Just say no to Right to Work laws.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 03-24-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
When I was first starting my working life I always said that the non-union workers owed a lot to the efforts of the unions. Health benefits, wages, work conditions, work hours. All these benefits were the results of labor fighting to establish worker rights.

Now with globalization unions are loosing their benefit here in the USA. Now labor activists need to focus on worker rights in developing countries. Here in the USA our standard of living requires a higher hourly wage than in China, Vietnam, India. So we see global corporations manufacturing products and shipping them to the consuming nations.

Until labor law, wages, and conditions in developing nations are on par with the developed nations unions here will disadvantage local business. In today's environment licensing is the means that ensures a base standard in competency. Education and job training are what's need to create a more skilled workforce. The quality of the workforce is a major component in the decision to start or move business into an area.
Great post, FLBob. I completely agree with you.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
YES!!!

But first they need to change the Right to Work (for less) laws that hold unions back. Otherwise the unions will be required by law to use their resources ($$) to defend those freeloading non-paying scabs. If you want employment at a union company then you should be required to pay the union dues. If you don't like unions then DON'T TAKE EMPLOYMENT AT A UNION JOB. It is not fair to the union or it's members when these freeloaders get to have union pay, benefits and arbitration without paying their dues.

The unions in Florida are a disgrace and joke compared to what they are in PA. I witnessed this first hand. They really have zero power here.

Just say no to Right to Work laws.
It's just as wrong to deny sopmeone a job when they don't wish to be a part of a union.

Unions and the stranglehold they have on many industries have run those industries into the ground and sent their jobs overseas. Automotive, textiles, you name it, jobs have been exported out of the US to avoid dealing with heavy handed unions who think that someone who can push a button on an assembly line all day should be making $35/hour plaus lifetime medical insurance and enormous retirement pensioins.

I personally know a guy who retired at 45 to a full pension making the same amount that he did as a f/t employee and with full lifetime medical benefits. Meanwhile the union he belongs to keeps losing jobs because they are being shipped overseas, and is now claiming they need higher dues and higher pay for the jobs to support the retirees. Can anyone see a problem with this picture?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
Default I wouldn't put firefighters, police,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
When I think of "professional" unions I think of Bar Association, and the American Medical Association. These are professional organizations function the same way, professional protection and lobbying. AARP does the same thing for older folks.

When I think of "trade" unions I think of Electricains, plumbers, masons, carpenters, machinists, painters, roofers, truckers, police, firefighters, teachers, utility workers, welders, refinery workers, etc. These people have formal training and/or education necessary for competance.

When I think of non unions I think of farm labor, day labor, landscapers, gardeners, auto mechanics, service companies.

I think most would agree if we have anyone working for us, on something we own, or in an important occupation (nuclear), good training/education is paramount. We have too many workers who have limited or no training that have entered the ''trades". Unions promote training and establish work standards for the benefit of all. Are they perfect? heck no... but unions still have their place.

We shouldn't just see the manufacturing/postal/airline unions as representitive all working people.
and teachers in that category. The others you mentioned require a hands on type skill, a craft. Teachers are required to have a college education, same as doctors and lawyers, and are considered an exempt category of workers (no OT).

I do agree, though, that unions are a good thing. Do you know that for about a decade they have been trying to unionize IT professionals?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's just as wrong to deny sopmeone a job when they don't wish to be a part of a union.
They should choose a non-union employer then. Why should the union be required to defend them? Why should they benefit from others actions? There are plenty of non-union jobs available.

Unions are far from perfect but they have done a tremendous job in bringing higher wages and better working conditions to the workplace. All American workers owe the unions and their members a lot of gratitude for their sacrifices.

Thank you my fellow union brothers and sisters for your hard work and sacrifices. United we stand, divided we fall.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
United you all stand--on the unemployment line because your job has been shipped overseas due to your unions outrageous demands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: