Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM

90 posts, read 410,644 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently living in Indiana and have lived here all of my life. I have nothing keeping me here so I feel NOW is the time for me to move. I HATE the winters here and love the warm weather...I'm talking about HOT, 100 degree weather. That's the weather I love! Today was 95 degrees with very high humidity and I loved it while everyone else at work complained. I always say back to them, "I love it! I can't stand the winter!"

I can't go through another winter here...it feels like I am a mammal hibernating waiting impatiently for the summer to come back.

With that said, I am looking to moving to an area that has a lot of opportunity for me. I want to be able to go to a GOOD community college and then possibly transfer to a bigger school after 2 years of general studies.

Also, I want to rent a house (for a max of $1100/month) and it would be nice if the drive to the college was about 30 minutes.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
Hello, I am currently living in Indiana and have lived here all of my life. I have nothing keeping me here so I feel NOW is the time for me to move. I HATE the winters here and love the warm weather...I'm talking about HOT, 100 degree weather. That's the weather I love! Today was 95 degrees with very high humidity and I loved it while everyone else at work complained. I always say back to them, "I love it! I can't stand the winter!"

I can't go through another winter here...it feels like I am a mammal hibernating waiting impatiently for the summer to come back.

With that said, I am looking to moving to an area that has a lot of opportunity for me. I want to be able to go to a GOOD community college and then possibly transfer to a bigger school after 2 years of general studies.

Also, I want to rent a house (for a max of $1100/month) and it would be nice if the drive to the college was about 30 minutes.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

Ryan
North Florida Community College in Jacksonville is consistently ranked one of the best Community Colleges in the country. America's best community colleges: why they're better than some of the "best" four-year universities - page 6 | Washington Monthly

Jacksonville is a major city but offers affordability and the possibility of transfer to the University of North Florida as well (nice school!) University of North Florida.

There are numerous choices of housing in your price range in the better parts of town (Southside or near the Beaches).

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Okay, that kind of info definitely helps a lot! I have been researching all areas of Florida and the northern part is something that I still have to look at.

Anyone have anymore recommendations?

Thanks again - this really helps!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,950 times
I'd like to suggest Santa Fe College in Gainesville. It recently changed from a community college to a college. It's kind of large, but has some very interesting choices for fields of study.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:03 PM

380 posts, read 961,559 times
There is Miami-dade college in Miami-dade. Multiple campuses so you have flexibility as to where you would like to live. But then you have to live in Miami, which could be difficult for someone from Indiana but not impossible. It would be somewhat of a culture shock.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Tallahassee Community College in the State Capital.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 PM

Okay, these are definitely some worth looking at and thanks again for the help.

I do have another question: is there a good community college you recommend that is close to the coast? That way, I could live in a location that is about 15-30 minutes away from the beach. I have seen colleges in the Palm Bay area, but have no idea if Palm bay is a good place to live by. Like, how is the crime for instance?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I second both Tallahassee Community College and Santa Fe Community College both are located close to major Universities, which you can transfer too afterwards. Also both are college towns, so lots of young people going through the same life experiences. You can't go wrong either of these schools. Then you have Miami-Dade Community College which I believe is the largest Community College in the country. The only thing about this is it is more of commuter school, so you will not get that great college experience you get in places like Tallahassee or Gainesville.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM

I did look at Tallahassee and found that the city has a VERY high crime area, according to what city-data says. It is even higher than Indianapolis, Indiana which is 30 minutes from me. Not sure what to make of that...

Also, I do want to be close to the beach. What do you guys/gals think of Palm Beach Community college and that area?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
Okay, these are definitely some worth looking at and thanks again for the help.

I do have another question: is there a good community college you recommend that is close to the coast? That way, I could live in a location that is about 15-30 minutes away from the beach. I have seen colleges in the Palm Bay area, but have no idea if Palm bay is a good place to live by. Like, how is the crime for instance?

Check out Rockledge for a place to live. Nearby Brevard Community College in Cocoa is a good community college. Cocoa itself is kind of icky, but Rockledge offers a good place to live with low crime. It's also quite close to the beach.

Rockledge, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moderator cut: link removed
Welcome To Brevard Community College

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida