Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

After feeling depressed for two weeks the weather cooled off and I feel better. If Florida weather is so great, why is it that the only memorable weather comes after a nice cold front? In colder winters I sleep better, have more energy and lose bodyfat. This winter, being so warm, I am still in "summer shape" and that's not good. Been depressed often. If I had my way every day would have a high of 65 and a low of 45. Even at 55 degrees, I was sweating while working in the yard. It's a shame the great temperatures never last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
No offense, but why'd you move to Florida?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:50 PM

I was born here. Believe it or not some people were actually born and raised in Florida!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Rick, I'm the exact opposite. I thrive in hot weather and feel great and lose weight and spend a lot of time outside. Winter up north depresses me and makes me gain weight. It takes me the summer months just to get back to normal and then winter starts all over again.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I was born here. Believe it or not some people were actually born and raised in Florida!
Sorry then. But yeah, couldn't you relocate? Or not possible for your situation?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
I mean no offense, but I had to laugh, when you talked about this winter being warm! Honey, if you want colder stuff, in Florida, come on up to the Panhandle! We've been having quite alot of colder temperatures. In fact, as I write this, it's 25 degrees outside. There was ice in the horse/dog water buckets this morning, and there will be again. I will say, I actually like the cooler stuff, especially since I got my miniature horse, and I'm outside alot more, now. But, on the other hand, my hands and feet do tend to get cold and stiff, after awhile, and I sometimes get irritated having to wear bulkier stuff. But, I'll enjoy it, anyway, 'cause I know it'll be hot and humid soon enough.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Relocation is in my plans, just have to figure out where. Believe it or not sunny weather depresses me unless we get a thunder storm. Who knows, I could move to north Florida or to another state, I just want more room, and to sweat less. Would be nice to have shirts that last longer than 6 months when working outside and be able to wear tough pants like jeans without getting that heat rash. In fact I still have the rash, it's awful, just need a few weeks of cool weather to get rid of it.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
As I sit here with 3 layers on, a space heater, and drinking tea, I curse this weather!!! Winter is comparable to death. What temp are you when you're dead? The trees go bare in winter, (not here, though we have one that does & it depresses the hell out of me...) some animals hibernate (wish I could!) - it's just all around dreary & depressing!
And I'm not exactly a "sunshiney" type! I'm completely nocturnal & sensitive to light. If it could be dusk/dawn 24/7 I'd be in "heaven".
But I look at pictures of these places that are all grey, & everyone walking around (I'm thinking of a pic of NY they had on USA today) bundled & frozen -and I think - "Ugh! How could anyone live there?" And I'm FROM there!!!
I guess if that's where you're from & that's where everything/everyone important to you is, you just deal with it.
But look at the polls they always dot on weather do com - people who can't wait for spring take it by a LANDSLIDE over those who want the cold!!!
I need GREEN!!! COLOR!!! LIFE!!! WARMTH!!!
Cold makes you want to curl up & sleep! Notice most people like to sleep with it cold! (Not me though!)
I cannot get up or out when it's cold. I lose all the precious body heat I finally built up over the past few hours!!!
In the summer, just shut your a/c - you'll be up SO fast!!!
The heat makes me wanna exercise, go outside - it makes me want to SING!!!!!
I can't WAIT to hear "Highs in the 90's - heat index over 100, lows in the 80's"!!!!!!!!!!!! "HEAVEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:08 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,398 times
I love to work hard outside in cold weather. In hot weather you cant keep going for 30 minutes without a break from the heat. When it is cold, hard labor keeps you warm, so you can go till your bod gives out.

The last 3 days I have been splitting oak firewood from a tree that I had to cut down. Swinging that splitting maul will work you out good. I now see why makin convicts bust rocks with a sledge hammer was considered hard labor!

Firewood warms you 4 times. First time when you cut it up, second time when you split it, third time when you stack it, and finally when you burn it.

This wood wont be ready to burn till next winter though

The central heat is broken so I just use a wood stove for heat in the winter. It cuts my electric bill in half although the house is cold in the morning. 58 degrees inside the house this morning.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:10 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I enjoy a little nippy weather from time to time, especially if I have yard work to do. 55 degrees is perfect for strenuous activities. I also get a brain fog after a long hot summer.

I think most people thrive on a little change of season.

I prefer things on the mild side but have lived in old and unheated houses in areas where the winter temps get into the low teens. Have also lived without AC during long summers in the 90's. Neither is pleasant but both are manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida