Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 AM

41 posts, read 171,961 times

Advertisements

I live in Key Largo and when we have company and take them out for a sunset meal, they always ask me if we do this all the time. Unfortunately, the truth is, both my husband and I work and when we get off work we eat dinner, talk, watch TV, do the laundry, check the internet. All the mundane things everyone else does. Sometimes during the school year (I'm a teacher) I go to work when it's dark and get home when it's dark. But, this is a beautiful place to live and I am always grateful to be here. Today - a Saturday - we went for a boat ride with our dog and now I'm headed to the pool. Sometimes we take our kayaks out to the Everglades and see crocs. But most of the time we're just doing everyday stuff. Oh, also we do plan things around the rainy season vs. dry season. The bugs are much worse in the rainy season. If we want to go camping we do it during dry season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
On HOT days... Try to stay cool (just like the rest of the world does) hahaha.

NOTHING is different from any other actvities that we have done in any place on the globe that we have lived. WELL, other than Germany... there are no cool Castles to go visit here.

Au contraire!:

::: Welcome to Coral Castle :::

http://www.coralcastle.com/img/aerialview1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
Walk the beach, play golf, shop, go to restaurants, keep the house and landscaping up, have friends over... same as anywhere only all year round.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,728,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What do Floridians do in their free time? What type of activities are popular during the hot months? What is a typical nonworking day like?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question fully I guess. What makes Floridians different than anybody else in the United States. We have to do the same things that everybody else has to do: laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. Just because we live in Florida doesn't make us different than anybody else.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What do Floridians do in their free time? What type of activities are popular during the hot months? What is a typical nonworking day like?
Granted, I haven't lived there in quite a few years but when I did I was mostly in the house on the computer or watching T.V.

I got to the beach maybe once or twice a year. I spent ALOT of time in Ybor City before it became lame with the underage kids. Drove ALOT. Same stuff everyone does.

Just remember before you move... Life in Florida is not a vacation. To live here ( unless you're rich or don't have to work ) you have to put in your 40 hours somewhere and usually when you're done, You won't have the energy to do the vacation thing.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Usually one day of my weekend is devoted to household chores. Laundry, housework, paying bills, grocery shopping, etc., The other day it depends. Sometimes we go out to shop, catch a movie, eat. Sometimes we go for a drive in the country, sometimes we get together with friends or neighbors and do something. It can be anything from just opening a bottle of wine to visiting an art gallery.

I pretty much do the same thing in Florida that I did in every other state I lived in prior to moving here. I do get a lot more company here though, and have learned that I need to make it very clear from the start that I work during the day and will not be able to take time off to play tour guide.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question fully I guess. What makes Floridians different than anybody else in the United States. We have to do the same things that everybody else has to do: laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. Just because we live in Florida doesn't make us different than anybody else.
The point of the question: What do Floridians do in their free time?, is to get a feel for the lifestyle and advantages of living in the "Sunshine State".

Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
I just moved to the Panhandle from the Midwest, and for non working days...I love going to the Beach every weekend ; it is extremely relaxing and I feel like i can clear my mind when im there. I enjoy doing a few fixup things around the house/yard and have a chat with the neighbors. For dinner, I like going out for some good seafood. Once it gets dark, I like having a bonfire on my property. I live way out in the woods and love taking in the nature, wildlife, and quietness. As a semi retiree, i find Florida one of the best places i have ever lived., and people are far easier to get to know than the Midwest.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,754 times
cut the grass, wash the car, clean a/c filters, move furniture, job hunt (always looking lol), help family with projects, work on the truck, get a haircut, go fishing or shooting, take the kids to the pool or the park

Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
I first go outside to be sure the swimming pool is above 90 degrees. Ocean is too cool for me so itis very important the pool is warm...... Then I call up my buddies and go shooting. Come back home to ensure the pool is 90 or above then jump in...After a few minutes I get out dry off and read the paper. Then get my notebook to write in what I am gonna do for the following day....hahahahaha

We have tons of things to do in Florida. Just think if you go to the beach during the summer what we have is the beach at our disposal 24/7.....I never gets boring I also love to dive and the water here is good. We will be going to Costa Rica later next month with my friends to fish, dive and just have fun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida