Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM

419 posts, read 906,948 times

Advertisements

(on the "Where Are All The Floridians Moving To" thread much discussion was targetted on how BAD Florida is - the thread was a long one so I wanted to give my solutions in a new thread)

Well, it’s pretty much decided then: “WE’RE ALL MOVING TO TENNESSEE”…..got that?……bus leaves this weekend. Bring warmer clothing since it’s chillier than Florida.

I wonder if many who say how bad FL is know how much of their PERSONAL LIVES they’re blaming on a state. ?…..When I first started reading those posts, I thought there were a few sensible arguments. Then, it seems to have deteriorated into NOTHING is any good about FL.

For instance:

One person went on 32 interviews – no job. Whose fault? : Florida (not her or the economy, or the employer – it’s ‘cause of Florida)

Person’s real estate taxes doubled. Fault: Florida (not the local school taxing districts, not the local county service needs.)

Person has 3 degrees, 7 years experience, and can only make $39,000 a year for 9 months work as teacher. Who’s to blame? FLORIDA. They need to pay teachers WAY MORE, right? (but don’t tell the person above whose real estate taxes just doubled, they might have a problem with that)

Houses cost tooooooo much – well, everybody can agree on that, right?
Florida let GREEEDY developers and REALLY, REALLY GREEDY ‘Flippers’ (and dolphins) destroy the market. Florida should have STOPPED all them right in their tracks. They should have all been shut down – thrown out of business.!!!!!! (maybe even executed some, to make an example)

In fact, come to think of it, NO INVESTORS should be able to buy in Florida anymore. Period. If you are not going to live in the house at least 5 years, forget it. No more sleazy rental houses, just happy families in little middle class 3/2’s. If this should have any affect on the rental market, that will be dealt with by more laws.

AND, some argued we need to roll-back real estate prices to the year 2001, that will be the way to solve this price problem. My poor quality Florida education suggests if prices fall that far there will be massive foreclosures/bankruptcies and widespread financial ruin, BUT ma and pa middle class (who didn’t buy back then) will be able to buy a 3/2/2 for $100,000 In effect, one group of ‘displaced’ persons trades place with another displaced group – that’s the Florida way!

RUDE PEOPLE: again, this is Florida’s problem. The question is why were these people let in in the first place?….As of January 1, a “Friendly” test will be administered at the STATE LINE by FSHP to test for courtesy.
People from states like Oklahoma, and South Dakota will be grandfathered in. People from New York/New Jersey will be given up to three tries.

HEAT: this is totally Florida’s fault – no question about it. It’s awful hot and humid and its worst in the summer, just when it shouldn’t be. The state should have fixed this years ago before it got so out of hand. One poster said they were glad they moved to Georgia, ‘cause its not humid there.
Has anybody alerted the national weather service to this new ‘fact’?

NOTE: people who have suffered from the heat all these years, whose kids could not play outdoors, who sweat easily, who dislike heat intensely, but were settled here WITHOUT REALLY KNOWING IT, will be eligible for “heat rebates” going back 10 years.

LANGUAGE: People should be required BY LAW to speak ENGLISH rather than Spanish. BUT, not just regular English, instead SOUTHERN-STYLE ENGLISH: ….”Y’all and Ah’m and M’amm and Shazammm, and
howdy and grits and git and t-shirt and trailer park, and Marlboro and mullet and pick-up, ……and chicken-fried…..and…..well that should be enough words anyway.

Homeowners insurance is THRU THE ROOF…..which was probably caused by large objects hurling thru the roofs the last few seasons. Florida is the culprit AGAIN. The state should REQUIRE insurance companies to charge what they charged 5 years ago and not be able to raise it for 5 more years.
If this should cause insurers to abandon the state completely, citizens will be legally empowered to go after the insurance executives with shovels.

WAGES: Everybody with half a brain knows that pay in Florida is pathetic.
This is the fault of who else?: The state of Florida. The Governor should immediately issue an executive order requiring that all jobs that actually require you to do something, pay a minimum of $50,000 a year. If you went to school, even just pre-school or college, your pay would be commensurately higher. AND if you send in a coupon, this can be made RETRO_ACTIVE ….(problem solved.)

Some one asks “where would the money come from to pay all these higher salaries?…..simple. The Florida Legislature will authorize the Governor to TAX THE RESIDENTS OF TENNESSEE, since that is apparently where all the money will be going. 

Hopefully these ideas will help.

Bruce

Last edited by brucerby; 02-19-2007 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,121 times
Several things:

1st, people need to do their homework and vote for candidates that actually will serve with distinction and honor. Also, quit re-electing dirtbags. There really should be stricter term limits throughout all levels of Government, especially State Attorneys and Sheriff's. Instead of running their 19th re-election campaign, the good ole boys would have time to do some work and not worry so much about paying back favors.

2nd, the economy is artificial. Many of the dollars in circulation in Fla were not generated here. A retiree's pension check from the "shipyaaahds up naaaawth" will have more purchasing power than a FHP troopers paycheck. That's what drives the economy, "supply and demand" Also, many more people move here and compete for lower paying jobs just to live here. You also see that affect service in all different industries, there is a good supply of unskilled labor and it keeps getting better. If you can't show up to work without a six pack of Bud Light, I can find 76 people that will at least fake it for half the pay. It seriously works out that way.

You can make it better. Do research THEN vote, cast an educated vote. Work with youth, Big Brothers Big Sisters, your church groups, mentorship programs through work and stuff like that, teach a young person or two something that will help them be a great citizen.

Also....... financial literacy is almost never taught. How many kids, much less grown adults know what they can and can't afford to buy and do? Getting behind in child support while you install internet in your Hummer is not the way to a better future. Well, maybe it is for some sales associate....The lives you have created and affected will long outlive the truck. Teach financial literacy or suffer the consequences!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 AM

20 posts, read 113,503 times
LMAO So true. Florida is awesome. Hope the rest of y'all find your redneck utopia. Remember, when they start talking 'bout your Purdy Mouth just RUN.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Bruce, I LOVED your post! But, I am afraid I have to correct you on one thing. The stuff that gets smashed into people's roofs - that is Florida's fault because they allow hurricanes and tornadoes into the state.

Um, can the people from Northern NY be given a bit more leeway than those from "The City"? We can be rednecks up here, too. We just say things like Bub and eh instead of y'all, etc.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Great post! Silly me, I never knew that it was all so simple!

If people would keep on top of what our elected officials are doing, e-mail them with input, register and VOTE, things would get better. We need to hold our elected officials accountable, but must first learn something about the issues beyond just the headlines.

How many folks can tell you the name of their state senator, representative, state attorney.... heck, how many even know what these offices even DO? How many people know what a millage rate is? Concurency? I think that people get intimidated by what they don't know and feel that there is no use in learning anyway, as they are powerless to influence their elected officials. It is a viscious cycle.

And as for term limits- I am conflicted, as we do have term limits for all elected offices- it's called election day. But I know, too, that getting some of these long-term folks out is often more than difficult.

I think that things have gotten worse since we have had term limits in the state legislature. But not sure if it is due to the limits, the incumbents being more concerned with where they will land, rather than grooming candidates to follow behind them or for other reasons.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
(on the "Where Are All The Floridians Moving To" thread much discussion was targetted on how BAD Florida is - the thread was a long one so I wanted to give my solutions in a new thread)

Well, it’s pretty much decided then: “WE’RE ALL MOVING TO TENNESSEE”…..got that?……bus leaves this weekend. Bring warmer clothing since it’s chillier than Florida.
I wonder if many who say how bad FL is know how much of their PERSONAL LIVES they’re blaming on a state. ?…..When I first started reading those posts, I thought there were a few sensible arguments. Then, it seems to have deteriorated into NOTHING is any good about FL.
For instance:
One person went on 32 interviews – no job. Whose fault? : Florida (not her or the economy, or the employer – it’s ‘cause of Florida)
Person’s real estate taxes doubled. Fault: Florida (not the local school taxing districts, not the local county service needs.)
Person has 3 degrees, 7 years experience, and can only make $39,000 a year for 9 months work as teacher. Who’s to blame? FLORIDA. They need to pay teachers WAY MORE, right? (but don’t tell the person above whose real estate taxes just doubled, they might have a problem with that)
Florida let GREEEDY developers and REALLY, REALLY GREEDY ‘Flippers’ (and dolphins) destroy the market. Florida should have STOPPED all them right in their tracks. They should have all been shut down – thrown out of business.!!!!!! (maybe even executed some, to make an example)

In fact, come to think of it, NO INVESTORS should be able to buy in Florida anymore. Period. If you are not going to live in the house at least 5 years, forget it. No more sleazy rental houses, just happy families in little middle class 3/2’s. If this should have any affect on the rental market, that will be dealt with by more laws.

AND, some argued we need to roll-back real estate prices to the year 2001, that will be the way to solve this price problem. My poor quality Florida education suggests if prices fall that far there will be massive foreclosures/bankruptcies and widespread financial ruin, BUT ma and pa middle class (who didn’t buy back then) will be able to buy a 3/2/2 for $100,000 In effect, one group of ‘displaced’ persons trades place with another displaced group – that’s the Florida way!

RUDE PEOPLE: again, this is Florida’s problem. The question is why were these people let in in the first place?….As of January 1, a “Friendly” test will be administered at the STATE LINE by FSHP to test for courtesy.
People from states like Oklahoma, and South Dakota will be grandfathered in. People from New York/New Jersey will be given up to three tries.

HEAT: this is totally Florida’s fault – no question about it. It’s awful hot and humid and its worst in the summer, just when it shouldn’t be. The state should have fixed this years ago before it got so out of hand. One poster said they were glad they moved to Georgia, ‘cause its not humid there.

NOTE: people who have suffered from the heat all these years, whose kids could not play outdoors, who sweat easily, who dislike heat intensely, but were settled here WITHOUT REALLY KNOWING IT, will be eligible for “heat rebates” going back 10 years.

LANGUAGE: People should be required BY LAW to speak ENGLISH rather than Spanish. BUT, not just regular English, instead SOUTHERN-STYLE ENGLISH: ….”Y’all and Ah’m and M’amm and Shazammm, and
howdy and grits and git and t-shirt and trailer park, and Marlboro and mullet and pick-up, ……and chicken-fried…..and…..well that should be enough words anyway.

Homeowners insurance is THRU THE ROOF…..which was probably caused by large objects hurling thru the roofs the last few seasons. Florida is the culprit AGAIN. The state should REQUIRE insurance companies to charge what they charged 5 years ago and not be able to raise it for 5 more years.
If this should cause insurers to abandon the state completely, citizens will be legally empowered to go after the insurance executives with shovels.

This is the fault of who else?: The state of Florida. The Governor should immediately issue an executive order requiring that all jobs that actually require you to do something, pay a minimum of $50,000 a year. If you went to school, even just pre-school or college, your pay would be commensurately higher. AND if you send in a coupon, this can be made RETRO_ACTIVE ….(problem solved.)

Bruce
This is by far the best post I have ever had the priviledge of reading.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM

419 posts, read 906,948 times
Firemed, thanks for the compliment!!....I really appreciate that. While much of the post was 'tongue heavily in cheek'....there really is some truth there, if folks will just look close.

bruce

Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
People from states like Oklahoma, and South Dakota will be grandfathered in. People from New York/New Jersey will be given up to three tries.//Unquote

Whew!! Thank you. That leaves one less test I have to take in life.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM

34 posts, read 133,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post

For instance:

Some one asks “where would the money come from to pay all these higher salaries?…..simple. The Florida Legislature will authorize the Governor to TAX THE RESIDENTS OF TENNESSEE, since that is apparently where all the money will be going. 

Hopefully these ideas will help.

Bruce
This was hilarious! I think you are spot on but you made me laugh. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Pure genius..lol

Will we see your name on a future ballot,president maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: