Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
Just wait until you see what this does to the automobile industry in Florida! We already don't have mechanical auto inspection which means we have many old cars on our roads. There are more cars in Florida than homes. It will be interested to follow this one. If it passes, we'll buy two new cars before it goes into effect and we'll be good for 10-12 years with cars.

I hope if they pass this they are smart enough to convince the Feds to continue to allow Floridians to deduct sales tax since it is our form of income tax.
You bring a good point. This can benefit by removing all the unsafe vehicles from our roads, but will create an added expense to the user. I'll take safety first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 PM

We have many situations to fix or make them comfortable for the state citizens. One fix might affect another area and we are not going to make everyone happy. If we want to afford homes, elimination of property taxes is a great start. Something that every city manager must do is to use their resources to the fullest and be practical. Way too many times funds are not used correctly, this is going to magnify and crystallized how the money is used.

We must also remember that we empowered all of our state, county , and city leaders to make decision that will better our state problems, many will look at the property tax issue first. If we can't afford our houses who will be here to call Florida home.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
You bring a good point. This can benefit by removing all the unsafe vehicles from our roads, but will create an added expense to the user. I'll take safety first.
Well my newest car is a 1981 and my oldest is 1968. Never had an accident, so I guess that throws the "unsafe car" theory. I just want the property tax gone!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well my newest car is a 1981 and my oldest is 1968. Never had an accident, so I guess that throws the "unsafe car" theory. I just want the property tax gone!
Not necessarily, brakes inspections, emissions, cracked windshield, conditions of tires, inspection of OBDII, etc are some of the considerations. This could be a new or older car....

Texas inspections:
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)
1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
The Boston Tea party all over ? If the sales tax is 8-9% People would buy most everything they need online from out of state forcing the closing of thousands of businesses. Citys could tax on top of that also. I guess jobs won't be in the picture .The only thing this would do is increase the business in other states. I don't see this idea working at all without further desecrating the economy. Do you think tourist are going to flock here knowing they're paying the largest sales tax in the united states? The snow birds would be gone. And might as well add a service tax this way we could make money off all the lawyers and doctors and yes the insurance . We created a monster and theres no easy fix, the economy needs to get back to fundamentals. people just need to learn to live within thier means.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:21 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
At first I support the proposal.... but really, we should proceed cautiously because I think this will drive home prices up. People who COULD afford a 1000 dollar mortgage with 300 PITI will suddenly be able to afford a 1200 mortgage!

Interest rates have the same inverse effect when it comes to home prices, because to most people, what "matters" is the monthly payment.... not necessarily the home price.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
well is interesting is that it only will take an increase of 2.5 percent to do away with homestead property taxes!

If a 2.5 percent increase on sales taxes extreme to you why not a 1.5 percent sales tax increase and then no property taxes on homesteads valued below 250 grand.

This would be in effect a homestead exemption of 250k.

It could be staggered to help the poor counties by making the first 10k exempt, the next 25K in value taxable, the next 200k in value exempt, or something like that.

That way the poor counties would get 25k in taxable value off every home so the homestead exemption would not block them out from the revenue stream.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM

495 posts, read 2,329,471 times
Quote:
people just need to learn to live within thier means.
Yep, and so do local governments. They should not be taxing people out of their homes and property just to pay for lavish spending and benifits for their employees either.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 PM

159 posts, read 656,063 times
Default No more auto inspections, pulllese!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
NOOOOOO!!!!! Been there, done that! We had auto inspections once. I remember being in line in the hot sun for HOURS AND HOURS waiting to get inspected. It was HORRIBLE. Do you wonder why we no longer have them?

Futher, they aren't free! No you PAY to sit in those long lines in the heat. (Another tax). Once you are in the lines you are stuck. Need to go to the bathroom after 3-4 hours? Too bad. They don't have one. Thirsty? Too bad. Going into a little diabetic coma? Awwww, they don't care. There's no way to turn around. You are captive.

Careful what you wish for......

Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM

159 posts, read 656,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Yep, and so do local governments. They should not be taxing people out of their homes and property just to pay for lavish spending and benifits for their employees either.
THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida