Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times

Advertisements

OMG! 150 teachers in FL involved in sexual misconduct. This is a big FL problem, I know it happened in other states, but FL has a BIG problem. We look ridiculous on the news, I'm sorry. Sometimes I am disappointed and other times just embarrassed about how often FL is in the headlines.

I cant imagine what I would do if I found out a teacher fondled my child. If anyone gets the Orlando Sentinel, read it. They said the major problem areas in FL were Tampa areas, and of course, S FL. But Central FL, (or maybe it was the Orlando metro area, I cant remember exactly), had 34 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Here is a link.. but there is no mention of Tampa or Hillsborough county specifically in their article.

Review: Central Florida teachers disciplined in past three years -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 11-16-2008, 04:20 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times
Tampa has had it's share of teachers arrested for sexual misconduct. I think that it is absolutely sickening that this happens. Teachers should have better judgment than that. I say that they need to be thrown in prison for a long time. Makes you would just what is going on in public school these days. Pretty sad.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times
"Here is a link.. but there is no mention of Tampa or Hillsborough county specifically in their article."

Absolutely there is. It's in the Orlando Sentinel (newspaper). It said Tampa and S FL (big suprises there) are the most problematic areas, but Central FL had 34 too.

It didnt mention anywhere in the panhandle, or NE FL that I remember.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Yes, you do look ridiculous in the news down there. Never hear of any of us teachers in NYC.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yes, you do look ridiculous in the news down there. Never hear of any of us teachers in NYC.

Theres paedophile Teachers everywhere in the nation , and our highly sexualized culture fuels it as well as other sexual perversions ; sadly its to be expected when a nation doesnt want to be a Godly one in favor of sexual 'freedom' (hedonism). This Nation is beyond hope now and it will get worse.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
I know I might be reaching here, but the good side of this is that the predators are being caught. Sometimes having a high number of reported cases means that the kids feel comfortable going to authorities and reporting the problem and that the authorities are following up on the complaints.
I think I'd be concerned if some other state was reporting this type of incident and none were being reported here.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Does the article mention how many were falsely accused? I looked at the article yesterday and didn't see mention of that. I know there were a rash of them.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Theres paedophile Teachers everywhere in the nation , and our highly sexualized culture fuels it as well as other sexual perversions ; sadly its to be expected when a nation doesnt want to be a Godly one in favor of sexual 'freedom' (hedonism). This Nation is beyond hope now and it will get worse.
Well said...

Half of those "sex crimes" were very bad. But many of them were teachers having consensual sex with a legal (FL state-wise) age student.

Also there is such a shortage of teachers that odds are you're going get more bad apples.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Well, a similar scandal broke out in the US Catholic Church not long ago. Similar scandals in such secular European countries as Belgium and France a few years ago as well, and I can image that similar phenomenon occurs in other countries that we do not receive news from too often.

The bottom line: human adults abuse human children, humans exploit one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida