Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:41 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times

Advertisements

Not to go off topic but beware of buying a used cars too. A lot of the flooded ones from New Orleans have surfaced up in FL and used car dealers. For example, my father-in-law was looking at buying an RV for $80,000 just last month. After spending 30 minutes talking with the salesman about it, my husband happened to look underneath it to see what the condition was and he noticed a very faint water line all the way above the tires all the way around the RV. This RV was in a flood but was never disclosed to us. What was funny is we bought a camper from the same place that was brand new but only used in New Orleans for 2 weeks by a couple to live in when their home left. Kind of wierd irony. We got a great deal on it because it was considered "used" for those 2 weeks but then again, my in laws look at spending $80,000 on something that was underwater. Point being, the news has been saying how these water submerged cars are popping up everywhere so always look underneath to make sure you don't see rust or water lines. The last thing you want is something that has had all it's electrical underwater. And these cars are not just coming to FL, they are going all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
1. little or no crime
2. maritime or four season weather with mild summers and mild winters
3. correctly priced houses that are affordable to all.
4. no hurricanes
5. low costs of living
6. nice, friendly people
7. clean air and water
8. Super Walmart and other shopping

Oil city is just one example. South Florida fails everything except #8
We know what you want, now gives us a city....

Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I think youll be happy somewhere in Tennessee or North Carolina or some other state in this area. Its 40-50 degrees now and no snow. Yet im suffering in the heat here in south FL! And I have to face more hurricanes soon. No hurricanes in TN, WV, KY, OH, etc. Also the winters are milder than your south Dakota winters, yet you wont sweat in the hot Florida summers. I think this offers the best four season weather without getting into extremes of heat/cold.
NAH, Tn. sure does look beautiful and we will definitely vacation there some day. It also looks more affordable then Fla. But the fact still is that our extended family is in Florida. I want to see my brother's grandchildren, and now one great grandchild, grow up and see the new baby that one of my neices will be having. I want to spend holidays with family and be there in case there's a life threatening emergency as has been in the past. I want to live near family again and you may feel that way too in about another 30 years. I guess I want a real relationship with the family that I have left and be able to hop in the car and drive a couple hours and spend the weekend with them or vice versa. We just heard so many good things about the Chattanooga area that we had to check it out. We know people who have it picked as their number one retirement destination. I can totally understand why and if our situation was different, our choice may have well been Tn. Not that I couldn't tolerate the beaches and palms of Fla. though. And heat doesn't bother me like it bothers you. I think you are more adaptable to the cold then I am though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida