Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 PM

42 posts, read 254,383 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Florida! Glad you enjoyed your stay. It's nice to hear a positive story!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Funny...I've had dishwasher/disposal issues in my house, too. Guess it's Florida's version of the welcome wagon!

Staying tuned....

Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Well, just in case I needed another reason to want to leave NY.....my youngest son totaled his car last night driving on ice during bad weather...smashed into a pole and was found unconcious...almost rushed to a trauma center. Is now home very sore.....tomorrow I deal with insurance, etc......

As a diversion, I'll share more about the trip. The place needed some major pruning and trimming.....trees hitting the house and roof, etc. Plants behind plants, etc.
I talked to my mowing people, and told them I needed to do some trimming. They said, "Fine, we will be back in the neighborhood in a few days....just leave what you trim in a pile by the curb, and we will be glad to take it for you......

So, I started trimming.....two days later I had 5 piles higher then my head....the neighbors now had more to marvel at. We transplanted plants, trimmed A LOT, etc. One neighbor felt sorry for me doing everything by hand, (my chain saw was left in NY ) and lent me his chain saw....I needed it. I cut tons off a BIG Kumquat tree that is in the back, and trimmed my orange tree. I also picked all my oranges and brought them back to NY.....They are 2 for $1.00 up here...

Two days later the mowers came back and said, "WOW!!" We've never seen a homeowner work so hard and cut so much....they say they will, but they never do.....They worked hard to stuff it all in a big dump trailer.......I paid them well for the extra work, and was grateful.......

We did dig up one small tree/bush that looked dead, but wasn't. I don't know what it was, but my wife said, "I've spent years up north looking at trees that looked dead all winter.....I'm not going to do that in Florida....We replaced it with a nice bottle brush bush she has always wanted.....gave it to her on Valantine's day......

The place looks so much nicer now.....

Frank D.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well, just in case I needed another reason to want to leave NY.....my youngest son totaled his car last night driving on ice during bad weather...smashed into a pole and was found unconcious...almost rushed to a trauma center. Is now home very sore.....tomorrow I deal with insurance, etc......

As a diversion, I'll share more about the trip. The place needed some major pruning and trimming.....trees hitting the house and roof, etc. Plants behind plants, etc.
I talked to my mowing people, and told them I needed to do some trimming. They said, "Fine, we will be back in the neighborhood in a few days....just leave what you trim in a pile by the curb, and we will be glad to take it for you......

So, I started trimming.....two days later I had 5 piles higher then my head....the neighbors now had more to marvel at. We transplanted plants, trimmed A LOT, etc. One neighbor felt sorry for me doing everything by hand, (my chain saw was left in NY ) and lent me his chain saw....I needed it. I cut tons off a BIG Kumquat tree that is in the back, and trimmed my orange tree. I also picked all my oranges and brought them back to NY.....They are 2 for $1.00 up here...

Two days later the mowers came back and said, "WOW!!" We've never seen a homeowner work so hard and cut so much....they say they will, but they never do.....They worked hard to stuff it all in a big dump trailer.......I paid them well for the extra work, and was grateful.......

We did dig up one small tree/bush that looked dead, but wasn't. I don't know what it was, but my wife said, "I've spent years up north looking at trees that looked dead all winter.....I'm not going to do that in Florida....We replaced it with a nice bottle brush bush she has always wanted.....gave it to her on Valantine's day......

The place looks so much nicer now.....

Frank D.
I like these daily chapters! How long were you in Florida? You are super-duper efficient! Would you by any chance be willing to come cut a 40 year old mango tree? Great, delicious mangos but boy, can it make a mess!

I hope your son feels better soon Frank. Happy it wasn't worse but very scary for sure. Sometimes I'm even afraid of driving in lightly wet roads here because I keep having flashbacks of the NY snow/ice wet roads.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:09 AM

We were there for just over two weeks.....crazy thing was, we bought most of the furniture in just a few days, then spent DAYS, over a week, doing nothing but trying to find the guest bedroom set.

I also fixed some roof shingles, put in a humidastat, framed some pictures to hang, did some electrical work, organized the garage, etc,etc.

My idea of relaxing is puttering and fixing things. I sense that when I do retire, I can keep pretty busy down there fixing thngs.......putting in light fixtures, faucets, hanging curtains, etc,etc..........it may intice me to retire sooner, and supplement my income being a part time handyman.......I built my own house up north here, so I can not imagine not keeping busy doing repairs, etc.

Frank D.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
We were there for just over two weeks.....crazy thing was, we bought most of the furniture in just a few days, then spent DAYS, over a week, doing nothing but trying to find the guest bedroom set.

I also fixed some roof shingles, put in a humidastat, framed some pictures to hang, did some electrical work, organized the garage, etc,etc.

My idea of relaxing is puttering and fixing things. I sense that when I do retire, I can keep pretty busy down there fixing thngs.......putting in light fixtures, faucets, hanging curtains, etc,etc..........it may intice me to retire sooner, and supplement my income being a part time handyman.......I built my own house up north here, so I can not imagine not keeping busy doing repairs, etc.

Frank D.
My husband likes to putter and fix too but sometimes you have to p u s h.
For some reason, housework never ends. Just when you THINK you are finished, here comes more trouble or it's time to change something again. There is always a project in the making and if it's not the house, it's the truck! LOL....

I have a feeling you're going to be ultra popular in your new area. It sounds like you're very happy about all the work and, nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Hey, Frank...maybe you could make a trip to N. Ft. Myers sometime, see what needs trimming/fixing down there! LOL :-)

Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 AM

NMS,
A friend of mine lives in Ft Myers.....has 3 houses there....we visited them and was glad to be able to stay in one of the houses....he has 11 kids....all his, all by one good wife, all one at a time......whew!! Their kids are awesome.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between retireing as soon as possible, (4 years), and taking less pension, or working longer for a higher pension. I'm thinking that I'll go sooner, get out of NY, and make up any difference by working down there doing odd jobs, etc.

No one ever said on their deathbed they wished they spent more time at the office.

Frank D.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
NMS,
A friend of mine lives in Ft Myers.....has 3 houses there....we visited them and was glad to be able to stay in one of the houses....he has 11 kids....all his, all by one good wife, all one at a time......whew!! Their kids are awesome.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between retireing as soon as possible, (4 years), and taking less pension, or working longer for a higher pension. I'm thinking that I'll go sooner, get out of NY, and make up any difference by working down there doing odd jobs, etc.

No one ever said on their deathbed they wished they spent more time at the office.

Frank D.
You'd mentioned your friends before. No way I could forget anybody having 11 kids! God bless 'em!

That's what we're doing - retiring while we can enjoy it. DH is also a handy kinda guy, so we may "rent ourselves out" too. Also, we're both crafty, so we may selll a few things here and there, too.

About that deathbed thing.....I got it figured out. We're not going to do it. (Wish me luck on that one, ok?)

I know I've said it before, but it's good to have you back.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:53 PM

NMS,
thank you for your kind words.......Today we have whiteout conditions...22 degrees, high winds that make the windchill factor below zero. My driveway had a drift in it this morning OVER 5 ft, and I blew snow last night, so the drift was made just overnight.

Got my son's car taken to the junkyard today......this would have not happened in Florida. 1582 days to go until retirement.......

When we were down there last week, we were sitting at a restaurant and I overheard a conversation between the waitress and the ladies sitting there...it went like this....

WAITRESS: "So, how is the weather out there?"

OLD LADIES: "Oh, it is terrible! It is in the 50's today and it's FREEZING! Just terrible!!"

I didn't know weather to get up and slap them or just laugh.....I thought it was more christian to just laugh.....I guess everything is relative.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida