Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 AM
ptm ptm started this thread

16 posts, read 74,419 times

Advertisements

What is the tax rate in Ormond Beach? What about surrounding comunities?

I also like the St. Augustine area ... how does it compare there to Ormond Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,297 times
Exclamation Taxes are outrageous

You do not want to move to Ormond Beach. I moved here in 1998 and have never regretted anything more. It is a terrible place to try to operate a business. Crime is completely out of control. Criminals here call the police and tell them they are or have burglarized a business on recorded lines even giving their names and the police do nothing.

If you call the police because someone is breaking into your home or business, they will come and visit with those attempting to break-in, joking and laughing like they are the criminals best buddy and after 30 minutes or more knock on your door and do nothing about the problem or tell you you should leave your home or business because they are concerned about your safety. It is open house for criminals here.

Last week a 25 year old woman was shot in her car 18 times by police. They later "found" an unloaded gun in the car belonging to her boyfriend and have tried to use this as justification for killing her. The gun was not in the passanger compartment!!!!

The schools are terrible. Florida is 50th for worst schools. Only 60% of students graduate, those that attempt to go to college must take remedial math and reading before they can take regular classes. Very few finish college.

School budgets have been stripped to the point there are only 3 substitute teachers at the high school. On average 250 students are in the Gym or Auditorium with only 1 supervisor since there is no substitute for their class. Students go weeks without instruction in Math, English, Science, etc when a teacher is out long term such as my daughter's AP english teacher who is out with cancer.

There are no jobs for adults or teens looking to work while in high school. This area is among the highest for unemployment levels at over 11% as of this date and it is climbing fast.

Taxes are through the roof.

For the safety and welfare of your family do not come here. My family like many are moving out as soon as possible.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Tax rates, crime stats & school ratings are readily available online. Don't take a disgruntled resident's word, look them up:

Volusia County Schools
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Volusia County Property Appraiser

Ormond's a lovely town, the healthiest place in the world according to John D. Rockefeller.
700_0334 (http://www.softbiztools.com/thecasements/index.htm - broken link)

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Default link to article re: shooting

News - newsjournalonline.com (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Local/newEAST01022009.htm - broken link)

Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,297 times
Exclamation Ormond Beach Facts not Fiction

John D Rockefeller did indeed settle here in Ormond Beach, and by the way, all Rockefellers have since left. He chose Ormond Beach after hiring many scientists to locate the most geologically and meterologically stable place. Ormond Beach has no earthquakes or other geological hazards. In addition, due to its position we are rarely hit directly by hurricanes and unlike the western side of Volusia County, we have been spared tornados and serious flooding. We do have some incredible fires though; check out 1998 and we are set up for a repeat this year with recent years weather conditions having been much the same as those leading up to the 1998 fires.

The taxes on my home assessed value of $182,939 for 2008 where $3595.84 after homestead exemption. Recently I sold the house for $40,000 (not in foreclosure) as property values have plummeted. One in seven homes here are in or have been foreclosed on. I am temporarily renting pending my daughter's high school graduation, (fewer than 10% of her class are expected to continue there education, per Volusia County School Department) when we will be moving out of Florida. More than half of the houses on our street have for sale signs up, many others have FORECLOSURE signs in front of them.

At my last posting unemployment was 11.1% the only place higher being Flagler County which is the next county north. That was based on current numbers. Employment Support - Volusia County Economic Development which is Volusia County Department of Economic Developmenst site, shows unemployment at 9.9% as of January 2009.

I recommend you visit Volusia County Schools, the official website of Volusia County School Board for an idea as to what is happening with the schools. Florida is also ranked dead last at 50th in education by the US Department of Education. I can assure you Volusia County is not an exception to the state's education condition.

The newspaper serving Ormond Beach is the Daytona Beach News Journal and can be viewed at Daytona Beach News-Journal Online. Television news websites include Orlando News, Orlando, Florida News, Weather, and Sports - WKMG Local6 Orlando News, Daytona Beach, Central Florida News, Weather & Sports - WESH Orlando's Channel 2 and Orlando News, Central Florida News, Daytona Beach News, Melbourne FL News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - WFTV so you do not have to take my word on the out of control crime situation here; see the latest and past for yourself at these sites.

As a scientist, I have always been a "show me the numbers" kind of person. The numbers here are ugly to say the least. For my families safety and wellbeing we are divesting ourselves of our interests in Ormond Beach and moving out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida