Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 PM

236 posts, read 900,927 times

Advertisements

Be very careful about buying property in Spring Hill Fl. [i] am the fifth house in my area to find I have 5 sink holes ranging from 15 to 55 feet deep! If you are crazy enough to buy here make sure you have a soil test done and have report in hand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Thank you for the info. It seems that sink holes are pretty well known for that area because I've even seen it on the national news at times and it's nice to hear first hand info. You also answered something I've been wondering about and that is how deep they actually get. Wow, 55 feet is pretty deep.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,105 times
Wink Sink HOle

A sink Hole can be a good thing. I know a lady, that bought a house, put 6k down to cover her closing costs, lived in it for a couple mos, and some tiles cracked out on back porch, insurance company sent someone out, they found a sink hole, paid off her 200k mortgage, then she sold to sinkhole rehab company for approx 125k and walked away with 119k profit. She opened a Deli, which had always been a dream of hers, put a huge lump down on another home, which made her payments even smaller than before, and she has nice nest egg in bank, & a thriving Business. All thanks to her sinkhole. So while, i am sure it was a hassle to her having to move again, it certainly was not a bad thing. She is in her 50's, and more financially secure & happier than I have ever seen her. I certainly would not let sinkholes in Spring Hill deter me from buying, in fact I own several homes in Hernando County, and after seeing her, I sometimes wish I would get one...

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourSolarAngel View Post
A sink Hole can be a good thing. I know a lady, that bought a house, put 6k down to cover her closing costs, lived in it for a couple mos, and some tiles cracked out on back porch, insurance company sent someone out, they found a sink hole, paid off her 200k mortgage, then she sold to sinkhole rehab company for approx 125k and walked away with 119k profit. She opened a Deli, which had always been a dream of hers, put a huge lump down on another home, which made her payments even smaller than before, and she has nice nest egg in bank, & a thriving Business. All thanks to her sinkhole. So while, i am sure it was a hassle to her having to move again, it certainly was not a bad thing. She is in her 50's, and more financially secure & happier than I have ever seen her. I certainly would not let sinkholes in Spring Hill deter me from buying, in fact I own several homes in Hernando County, and after seeing her, I sometimes wish I would get one...
Cool story! I think she is one of the lucky ones. Yes, Pasco County and above are well known for this problem. They say it's due to the overabundance of homes put into the area. The limestone is very shifty, and houses were going up too fast for proper inspection of the land. Sorry to hear about your issue OP.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Yeah but if your buying a house with sinkhole history and the insurance company knows it, good luck trying to find someone to insure it again. Sink holes were really bad a few years ago so we all started changing the name from Springhill to Sinkhill. My inlaws and several of my friends live. I haven't heard of any holes opening up so far this year and we've been pretty dry.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,808 times
this sinkhole stuff is totally crap. I know at least a dozen people who put in sinkhole claims just to cash out. hello people we have underground reserviours and no matter where you live in hernando, there is a void under your home and they test deep enough. funny how all these sinkhole claims when the economy got bad.. people in foreclosure, job loss ect.. So the hardworking american is paying for these tremendous fraud cases. funny how they say less than 10% fix them.. they call in cause the say they are "scared" OF THE HOME FALLING APART, THEN TAKE THE MONEY, BUY CARS, FANCY STUFF, PUT IN A POOL... SEEN IT HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN. THEY LIVE FREE AND YET ALL THE STANDARD INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE LEFT OR ARE IN THE PROCESSING OF LEAVING CAUSE ACTUALLY THEY ARE GOING BROKE, AND WE ARE HAVING TO PAY THE SKY ROCKETING COST OF INSURANCE. PEOPLE SUCK! GREEDY GREEDY PEOPLE... THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE CHARGE DOUBLE AT LEAST ON THEIR INSURANCE, EVEN IF THEY SELL AND BUY ELSE WHERE. LEAVE US HONEST PEOPLE ALONE. FOR THOSE THAT TRULY HAD ISSUES.. NOT TALKING ABOUT CRACKS IN DRIVEWAYS, GARAGES OR POOL DECKS, AND MINOR CRACKS IN WALLS. BUT ACTUALLY SINKHOLE ACTIVITY WHERE YOUR HOME SHIFTED, AND CRACKS BIG ENOUGH TO FIT A PENCIL IN. THIS MESSAGE IS NOT MEANT FOR YOU! OH AND THE ONE THAT OPENED A BUSINESS AND ALL THAT OTHER CRAP.. TILES CRACKING AND POPPING IS VERY COMMON. ITS CALLED A LOUSY WORKMAN SHIP..MINE DID THIS TO.. I REPLACED THEM THREE YEARS AGO. NO CRACKING UNDERNEATH, NOR HAVE THEY CRACKED AGAIN.. WHY DO YOU THINK PEOPLE USE PAVERS AROUND THEIR POOL AND DRIVEWAYS. TO HIDE NORMAL SETTLEMENT CRACKS. AND JUST ABOUT EVERY HOME WILL END UP WITH THIN SPIDER CRACKS ON THE WALL OF THERE HOME... ONE COAT OF PAINT THERE GONE. GEE PEOPLE GET A GRIP

Old 10-04-2021, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 11,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourSolarAngel View Post
fraud will always catch up to you. No matter how you try to slice it.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabester76 View Post
fraud will always catch up to you. No matter how you try to slice it.
That post was 10yrs old, I think things have changed since and now money from an insurance claim has to go to fixing the sinkhole.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:27 AM

236 posts, read 900,927 times
Absolutely, the insurance company makes the check out to you and your mortgage company. They only release funds when you show them proof that the work is being done. Its usually alloted in 3-4 payments. So the days of making a killing on your sink hole are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida