Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM

155 posts, read 1,053,035 times

Advertisements

Researching drive times for areas of FL and commute distances times, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 PM

131 posts, read 1,034,715 times
I'm probably more of an exception, but I both live and work in New Smyrna Beach, and have a 1.5 mile commute to the office. I used to ride my bike to work every day, but now I drop my son off at school so I just drive it.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM

37 posts, read 121,767 times
Live in Riverview, and you couldn't pay me enough money to "commute" in this traffic anymore. This place is like New York City. I'd rather stay home than take my chances with the New Yorkers & their S.U.V.'s.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Live in West Bradenton, work on LBK, 25 min. commute 9 miles...right along the beach....

Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Inverness, I Work at home and roll out of bed about 20 feet to get to work.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,468 times
Having lived in two different FL cities, I feel that I can you some useful info. While living in St. Petersburg, the commute around the city was not bad at all. It was BEAUTIFUL, in fact, because you could hop on the interstate to get from one end of St. Pete to the other. So, if you lived on the south or central part of the city, you could get to most places in 20 minutes or less. That didn't change during "season". In fact, there really wasn't much of a "season" to speak of there - unless you were on Gulf Blvd. during "season". It seems that many of the snowbirds came to Pinellas seasonally to stay out in the beach areas (all along Gulf Blvd. all the way into Clearwater). So, don't worry about "season" there. Now, everyone living in Pinellas knew the following two things: The commute between St. Pete and Clearwater was a nightmare because U.S. 19 - main thoroughfare - bottlenecks as it goes further north into Clearwater. It is not a desirable thing to live in St. Pete and work in Clearwater. You would be looking at approx. 45 - 60 minutes each way between the two cities. The other thing is do not plan to live in St. Pete - or anywhere on the Pinellas side - and work in Tampa. The commute over The Howard Frankland Bridge to and from is a nightmare. It can be bumper to bumper and was referred to as the "death ride" when I lived there. I recently encountered traffic coming out of Tampa at 5:02 p.m., and it was bumper to bumper, a real bear. Now, you could use the Gandy Bridge and cut some time off. I found a shortcut that day out of Tampa, and if you find you need it, please PM me. I don't want to take up unnecessary space here on your thread.

But then you have Fort Myers, Lee County, FL. That makes all of the above less desirable commutes look like a walk in the park. There is a true "season" here, and during that time, ridiculous commutes (5 miles up the road taking 20minutes) become even more ridiculous once the snowbirds arrive: That 5 miles can take 40 minutes to one hour at times. I am not exaggerating. There are not enough alternate routes. The city roads were not master planned. Growth was not considered or planned for. The commute between between Fort Myers and Naples (people do it for work, but they complain and suffer) during the rush hours is anywhere from 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours or more depending on accidents and time of year (in season, it gets worse). Naples is approximately 35 miles from here. In fact, do not plan to commute anywhere south of Ft. Myers (if living here) to go to work. Going to S. Ft. Myers, Estero, Bonita, or Naples are all nightmares. The only work commute that I have been able to consistently keep moving in and get to in a reasonable amount of time was when I was living here in Ft. Myers and driving into LaBelle, Hendry County, everyday. I got there in 45 minutes, and it was about a 35 mile drive to where I needed to be, but it was in a different direction (most people were traveling the opposite direction). I can also tell you that I-75 heading south (toward Naples) was backed up even at 7:00 AM as I passed by on my way to Hendry County. Oh! And one more thing: Do not, repeat, do not commute between Ft. Myers and Cape Coral. Another bridge nightmare, and not just any bridge, but a TOLL bridge. This commute will surely add an extra hour each way to and from work each day if you choose it.

No idea where you're looking or if any of this info helped you, but good luck with your move. It would appear that you are asking all the right questions.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:29 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
I live in east Orlando - Lake Nona area and work downtown. It takes me 25-30 minutes commute time both going and coming home.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
I live in northeast Fort Lauderdale, work downtown Lauderdale. It's about seven miles and 20-25 minutes depending on how I hit the stoplights. I don't have to drive on I-95. You do NOT want to commute on I-95 if you live in South Florida.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM

523 posts, read 2,830,522 times
I dont work right now, but my husband drives to orlando 1 hr twice a week.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,815 times
South West Miami (Kendall), 17 miles to work, 1 hour and 10 minutes. (Outside Downtown area) To Downtown Miami would be near 2 hours, about 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida