Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You are right about that. Florida is in the unfortunate AND fortunate position of being an entry point from the Carribbean. The good thing is that the VAST majority of crime from thugs remains thug on thug, followed by acquaintence crime.

Property crime can be very high or low depending on your location in the state.
I read statements like this all the time in order to defend Orlando's crime rate. Why would the "thug on thug" crime rate be lower in Florida than elsewhere? If so where are the stats to back up that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you guys really think you'll open your kids up to diversity and culture in Florida as much as Manhattan of the 80s/early 90s, you're nuts.
Why do you keep assigning assumptions and arguments to people who have never made them. But, I'll play your game. Obviously New York City as a traditional immigrant destination has a lot of people from all around the world. Nothing can compare to NYC, but then again, not many people would ever raise a family there if they have other options.

Besides, my family in and of itself is "culturally diverse" so I've never really been impressed with ease of access to sample accutrements of culture. Parading your kids around NYC so they can gawk at people that don't look like them isn't exactly constructive. More like a human zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84
How can TriMT7 even know what NYC was like then? So how can you say you can experience more culture/diversity in Florida as a kid growing up?
I grew up in NE Jersey in the 80s before moving to Florida in 1989 with my parents. Again, 10-15 minutes by train into the city. I had no black kids and one Chinese kid in my class in New Jersey. The only time i saw black people was when we went into Newark, and even then, we usually went to the ethnic Portuguese enclave.

It wasn't until I moved to FLorida that I actually had black friends and Hispanic friends. Living in MY neighborhood. I didn't have to make a day trek into Harlem from Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84
I laugh hard at these ridiculous statements.

Too bad many of the statements you are laughing at are never actually said or advanced by anyone on the board.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I read statements like this all the time in order to defend Orlando's crime rate. Why would the "thug on thug" crime rate be lower in Florida than elsewhere? If so where are the stats to back up that claim?
That's my question. Obviously the stats exist to show that you are much more likely to be a victim of crime if you fit certain profiles. Doesn't mean anyone is truly safe, but yes, in places like Miami, for example, during the cocaine wars most of the 80s, or similarly, in New York and Chicago and the 1930s Mafia period, being "involved" in certain lifestyles can greatly increase your chances of victimization, AND increase the level of "thug on thug" violence.

For example, Pennsylvania leads the nation in black homocide victimization, and everyone knows that males are more likely to be victimized by homocide than females.... and that is most usually solely traced to behavioral and lifestyle choices:

Pennsylvania Leads Nation in Per Capita Rate of Black Homicide Victimization | Reuters

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I don't want to disclose my location as I am well known publicly, however, I can tell you that where I live, the crime rate is WAY lower than any area in Florida.

Right, well, in an effort to protect your "well known" persona, you are apparently living in a town of 50 in the midst of corn and wheat fields. If I lived on say, Jupiter Island in Florida, where the police come to investigate if you stop your car on the road for more than 5 minutes, I'd probably give whatever corner of flyover paradise you're living in a run for the money.

BTW, some urban areas in the MidWest are utter hellholes. St. Louis, anyone?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you guys really think you'll open your kids up to diversity and culture in Florida as much as Manhattan of the 80s/early 90s, you're nuts.

How can TriMT7 even know what NYC was like then? So how can you say you can experience more culture/diversity in Florida as a kid growing up?

I laugh hard at these ridiculous statements.
If I lived in NY I wouldn't have been able to afford to take my kids to 12 different states and 6 different countries over the last 2 years.

I am pretty sure we experienced much more cultural diversity in this way than if we lived in NY.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I traveled all over the east coat with my ice hockey. So I got to experience the culture/diversity of NYC since my family still lived there as a kid, and got to travel all over for hockey

Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If I lived in NY I wouldn't have been able to afford to take my kids to 12 different states and 6 different countries over the last 2 years.

I am pretty sure we experienced much more cultural diversity in this way than if we lived in NY.
Here is a good example of cultural diversity in Florida. This sure gives "cultural diversity" a new meaning!

This is an example of parents applauded at a high school concert.

"There are three parts (movements) to this symphony, and I was a little surprised when the majority of the audience applauded between the movements. Apparently, they had not attended many symphonies or watched the New York Philharmonic Orchestra or other famous orchestras."

Letter: Concert was great, but hold the applause : Letters : TCPalm

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
Quote:
Here is a good example of cultural diversity in Florida. This sure gives "cultural diversity" a new meaning!

"There are three parts (movements) to this symphony, and I was a little surprised when the majority of the audience applauded between the movements. Apparently, they had not attended many symphonies or watched the New York Philharmonic Orchestra or other famous orchestras."

Good article!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:

And probably 99% percent of the people who live in NY or California or Montana would have done the same thing.

Symphonies are not popular and most of the population would not know when a movement started or ended.

I am sure that everyone in your town is well versed in Beethoven's symphonies.

Besides all that, this actually shows a great deal of diversity. You have the students playing a symphony for a crowd that obviously has not listened to many symphonies. They have now been opened up to a whole new culture.

Had to add this. You say it brings a whole new meaning to cultural diversity, as if they are morons. When someone is introduced to a new culture do they normally have a grasp of that culture? No, they learn over time.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Lol, Vero Beach is a town of about 17,000 people.

You're really going to have to try harder than that!

Why not post articles about Palm Beach County's Dreyfoos School of the Arts, which puts on fabulous performances and is ranked one of the best high schools in the nation? Why not any articles about the Kravis Center, which features a bevy of cultural offerings.

The Raymond F. Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. - Home

Again, we can't quite compare where you live, though I'm pretty sure the Southwest Iowa ballet or Kansas Opera has a hard time competing for an audience with the corn shucking tournament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida