Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Manhattan in the 1950s. Did I see black people? You must be joking. OF COURSE. In fact I saw people from all over the WORLD. Hell, half the accents I heard I had no clue where some of these people were from. Can you say TOURISTS? Sorry, you cannot compare tourists visiting Florida to tourists visiting the "Big Apple". Hell, half the toursts around the world probably never even heard of Florida, but you can bet they heard of NYC.

Growing up my best friend from across the street was from Greece. Her parents were also deaf and spoke in Sign. She taught me how to Sign to them. Enough diversity? I had another friend who was black and came from North Carolina. Her Mom was a teacher and moved to NY to make a better life for her daugther. I was also friend's with the Super's (person who runs apt. buildings) children. They were from Puerto Rico. I went over my friends homes, and they over mine, all the time. We ate together and shared with each other our respective cultures. Enough diversity for a childhood?

Forget when I went to college and to work in a Fortune 500 company in Manhattan. Impossible to say all the people I met from around the country and around the world.

Sorry, but I cannot even count how many times I have been to Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center, and not just when I was single and living in Manhattan, but also when we lived in Queens and yes, even Long Island. We didn't "hibernate" on Long Island.

If you want to bash my daughter, fine. But I dare you take to on ME. I GREW UP in Manhattan and spent the first 28 years of my life in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I grew up in Manhattan in the 1950s. Did I see black people? You must be joking. OF COURSE. In fact I saw people from all over the WORLD. Hell, half the accents I heard I had no clue where some of these people were from. Can you say TOURISTS? Sorry, you cannot compare tourists visiting Florida to tourists visiting the "Big Apple". Hell, half the toursts around the world probably never even heard of Florida, but you can bet they heard of NYC.
First off, I am not exactly sure how we've travelled from talking about Long Island and living in proximity to the city vs. living IN Manhattan. If I have to repeat, "of course no city is like New York City" one more time in order for certain people on this board to GET IT, I may just scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples
Growing up my best friend from across the street was from Greece. Her parents were also deaf and spoke in Sign. She taught me how to Sign to them. Enough diversity? I had another friend who was black and came from North Carolina. Her Mom was a teacher and moved to NY to make a better life for her daugther. I was also friend's with the Super's (person who runs apt. buildings) children. They were from Puerto Rico. I went over my friends homes, and they over mine, all the time. We ate together and shared with each other our respective cultures. Enough diversity for a childhood?
That's fine and dandy. Now tell me what the population demographics of Great Neck is. Or Levittown.

Quote:
Sorry, but I cannot even count how many times I have been to Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center, and not just when I was single and living in Manhattan, but also when we lived in Queens and yes, even Long Island. We didn't "hibernate" on Long Island.
Most normal people do not have the funds to routinely go to Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, or Broadway on a regular basis. For many in the NY Metro area making that 50k salary, it's a treat to go to such places, and MAY happen once a year if they're lucky.

Quote:
If you want to bash my daughter, fine. But I dare you take to on ME. I GREW UP in Manhattan and spent the first 28 years of my life in NYC.
Oh get over it. Nobody is "bashing" your daughter, unless challenging her is suddenly considered "bashing!"

Such a persecution complex! Should we send you some planks and nails? I'll mail it to NY so you can have an excuse to take a trip and enjoy the cold.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And probably 99% percent of the people who live in NY or California or Montana would have done the same thing.

Symphonies are not popular and most of the population would not know when a movement started or ended.

I am sure that everyone in your town is well versed in Beethoven's symphonies.

Besides all that, this actually shows a great deal of diversity. You have the students playing a symphony for a crowd that obviously has not listened to many symphonies. They have now been opened up to a whole new culture.

Had to add this. You say it brings a whole new meaning to cultural diversity, as if they are morons. When someone is introduced to a new culture do they normally have a grasp of that culture? No, they learn over time.
You are kidding right?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Default You have no clue what people make in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
First off, I am not exactly sure how we've travelled from talking about Long Island and living in proximity to the city vs. living IN Manhattan. If I have to repeat, "of course no city is like New York City" one more time in order for certain people on this board to GET IT, I may just scream.

That's fine and dandy. Now tell me what the population demographics of Great Neck is. Or Levittown.

Most normal people do not have the funds to routinely go to Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, or Broadway on a regular basis. For many in the NY Metro area making that 50k salary, it's a treat to go to such places, and MAY happen once a year if they're lucky.

Oh get over it. Nobody is "bashing" your daughter, unless challenging her is suddenly considered "bashing!"

Such a persecution complex! Should we send you some planks and nails? I'll mail it to NY so you can have an excuse to take a trip and enjoy the cold.
My husband made more than that $50,000 in the 1970s. My daughter has only been working 2 years since college and makes more than that.

Great Neck is a very well to do area of LI. Your average person there will be making far more than $50,000. Rachael and her fiance just bought a house in Levittown. They make over 6 figures between them and are young teachers. What do young teachers make in Florida? Probably what the average receptionist makes in NYC.

You are the one with the persecution, and jealousy, complex. I don't need any excuse to go back to NY. Actually, my last trip was a Chistmas present from Rachael. As I said, at 25 years old she isn't hurting for money in NYC.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Lol, Vero Beach is a town of about 17,000 people.

You're really going to have to try harder than that!

Why not post articles about Palm Beach County's Dreyfoos School of the Arts, which puts on fabulous performances and is ranked one of the best high schools in the nation? Why not any articles about the Kravis Center, which features a bevy of cultural offerings.

The Raymond F. Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. - Home

Again, we can't quite compare where you live, though I'm pretty sure the Southwest Iowa ballet or Kansas Opera has a hard time competing for an audience with the corn shucking tournament.
No it was the tractor pull that pulled the crowd.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Hmmm...where have I heard this story before......

Queens? If I had a dollar for every person I've met down here who used to live in Queens I could buy a brownstone in Manhattan.

Big deal. I can go from 100 million dollar mansions to 10,000 shacks in a (literal) 5 minute drive where I live. I can watch a 1993 Nissan Sentra idling at a light next to a Rolls Phantom and not think a thing of it. Dowagers? = "Diversity of life?" HA! Got em in spades!

My friends who said they never go to NYC ARE young... even younger than now. This was about 4 years ago when we were 22. They don't even have to go to NYC for a lot of concerts and shows because so much happens at the Meadowlands in NJ.

Haha, New York City law firms are NOTORIOUS for running their associates into the ground. GREAT salaries, of course, but you have no life.

Sorry, but the average salary for "New York City area workers" in 2007 was 50,000.00. That isn't very impressive in an area where bank moguls make millions in salary/year. My aunt was making 60k working for a fashion house in New York, and had to commute into town (share a ride and the $25/day parking fee) from Jersey.

50 - 60k is nothing, but it's what REAL PEOPLE are making in the area, not your husband and his then-highly specialized computer and software skills in a time before outsourcing and better trained, smarter Indian students. You can barely live in Palm Beach County on a salary of 50k, let alone when you're paying 2000/month for a cracker box in Manhattan. We have an attorney at my firm who went into severe credit card debt living and working in New York for three years. So much so he has to now drive a Mazda 3 while enjoying a pretty good salary well above the "NYC area average."

"Crotchety old coots" huh? Well, you may have more in common with them than you believe! Most crotchety old coots in Florida sit around, complaining about the weather and how miserable life is. I've yet to see evidence to the contrary that you don't qualify to join their club!

Funny, I thought those of us who actually LIKE where we are WERE the ones "having a nice life?" Perhaps your recommendation is best left printed out and taped on your bathroom mirror so you can read it to yourself every morning before work.

ODL.... Those are tears of utter laughter....coke a cola through my nose

You do know you're dealing with a mother daughter lets give each other points tag team right? Fine example of NYC culture eh?

For most of us who are just looking for info, we are learning to ignore ...but this post of yours truly made me laugh.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Most of the places on the Money Magazine survey are smaller towns. The survey at issue was larger metro areas. Not every person answering the survey needs family amenities and suburban Stepford living that the "best places to live" looks at.

Do you know Gainesville, FL was ranked #1 place in the country to live a year or so ago by some magazine ranking or another?

And for the record, in 2008, Money Magazine had three Florida towns in the Top 100, and SIX in a place like Michigan, which has been bleeding population since even before the economic downturn. You would have to pay me an immense amount of money to live in Michigan.

Actually "most" of Michigan is just breathtaking. Don't think of Detroit as 'Michigan" that's a teeny part of it.

It has the most beautiful little communities one right after the other hundreds of beautiful little and big victorian homes, trees trees trees and green green green.

It's stunning in many places. Tough weather, but stunning none the less.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Actually "most" of Michigan is just breathtaking. Don't think of Detroit as 'Michigan" that's a teeny part of it.

It has the most beautiful little communities one right after the other hundreds of beautiful little and big victorian homes, trees trees trees and green green green.

Besides Detroit has some of the wealthiest, most attractive suburbs in the country. Troy, Birmingham, Sterling Heights, etc.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
What's your point? Having an end of year test automatically = good schools? Not saying New York doesn't have good schools, but the tired out meme and blanket statements regarding how "bad" schools are in Florida gets kind of old.

Again, the original point stands: Florida has numerous public schools in the Top 25 in the nation, and numerous others in the top 100. The system as a whole for high school education was ranked #19 in the nation by the survey. Not too shabby, and better than most other sunbelt meccas.

yup....SC #50 worst in the Nation

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

When I spent my summers as a kid at my Uncle's in Indiana, we used to go camping in Michigan. I don't remember where, but I remember it being very pretty. We never went to Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida