Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times

Advertisements

Hudson's not so bad. The traffic is lighter than southern Pasco or Pinellas. I always used Little Rd. instead of 19. I went to the beach at Pine Island and Weeki Wachee River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackgirl View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me anything about Hudson, Florida? Considering relocation there, seems like relatively low real esatate prices to be near the water. any information would be great, thanks.
Hudson, FL is a nice area on the Gulf. A quiet area compared to those areas south of it. As stated in earlier replys by others Rte 19 and beaches are the only drawbacks.
Housing prices are now lower than ever. There are some good buys and nice homes. Another place to look is just over the county line in Spring Hill, FL. But, again you have Rte 19 and the lack of good beaches.
The closest beach to Hudson is about an hour's drive (due to traffic and numerous stop lights) south on Rte. 19.
Yes, many retirees. But, I'm one of them and love the Hudson area despite these couple of drawbacks.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackgirl View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me anything about Hudson, Florida? Considering relocation there, seems like relatively low real esatate prices to be near the water. any information would be great, thanks.
If you look at it on google maps satellite. There looks like there is no beach. Compared to say like Fort lauderdale, with miles and miles of free public beach.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If you look at it on google maps satellite. There looks like there is no beach. Compared to say like Fort lauderdale, with miles and miles of free public beach.
There is very little beach there and it's crappy.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
Ackgirl - I have several comments that may or may not be relevant to your concerns.

Hudson, and much of suburban Florida, is not a hotbed of activity. There is little to do (unless you like fishing or boating). The restaurants are mediocre; tending to play to the local market they emphasize lower price more that quality. There is little in the way of cultural outlets. I did not expect opera, ballet, or great symphony orchestras - but just finding a place that has dinner and decent jazz, or a quality bookstore, for example, is impossible.

The recent, i.e., two-year-old, down-turn in the economy has not helped. Many recent arrivals are 'under water' and struggling. Job opportunities, should you decide that you need to supplement your income, are few and nearly minimum-wage. Labor supply greatly exceeds opportunities - depressing wages.

Incidents of criminal activity seem to be getting more and more frequent. Most seems to be relatively small stuff – a stolen lawn ornament, a vandalized car, etc. But this lowers the quality-of-life, and makes neighbors worried about the possibility of more serious crime.

Pasco County is an area of extremes. Some residents are quite wealthy while others live on the economic fringe. You need only drive a few miles off any major road to encounter conditions that are more reminiscent of back-woods Appalachia than of typical images of Florida beach communities.

And my pet peeve: you take your life into your hands every time you venture out onto the road. Because there is so little of anything available locally, this is a completely car-dependent community. (Check out the ‘walk-ability index’ on Zillow). Unfortunately, as people age they lose both mobility skills and cognitive skills. People who are well past the point of being able to safely operate an automobile are still on the road. It is common to see, for example, some 85-year-old lady plowing through red lights at 50MPH, probably oblivious to the existence or state of the light. As we all get older, and many of us will eventually reach the point of not being able to operate a motor vehicle, why pick a retirement location - if that is your motive for considering Hudson - that supplies no real alternatives?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,397 times
Hernando beach or weeki wachee river is alot nicer area than hudson alot more newer homes and less undesirables

Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
STAY AWAY I teach in Hudson and it is so dysfunctional!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,701 times
penny wu- exactly! most of West Pasco is getting very blighted. I've lived here since the 80's and teach here, and I am seriously looking at moving further south in FL. Greg

Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsytch View Post
STAY AWAY I teach in Hudson and it is so dysfunctional!
hey teacher do you have spell check? (just joking)made you look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida