Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

263 posts, read 574,775 times

Advertisements

One week, LOL!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
This second time, June 2007, I decided before I even came here that I was going to go back. I am not spending the rest of my natural born days in Florida.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Why did you originally leave?
Because we were young and allowed family to convince us that we need to be here around them. Huge mistake!

We wanted to try Florida because we both spent many years growing up with our families vacationing in Florida and loved it in Florida.

We caved into both sides families pushing us to move back.

Sure it is nice to be around family and friends and we have enjoyed them but if I had to do it again, I would have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago.

We regret not getting to do the things we love to do such as scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, beaches, being in the warm air and sun. Went went to Florida to enjoy all that and more such as the beautiful natural wonders such as Homosassa Springs, Silver Springs, Sunken Gardens etc.

20 years later we realize it was a huge mistake and now want our kids who are still young to be able to enjoy what we miss, they love being warm, swimming and being outdoors. Both of them love the weather in July & August here so we took a 2 week vacation last August to Florida and they both loved it.

That vacation is what got us talking about moving to Florida and not letting them miss out on so much of the things we all enjoy.

Kids here stay indoors 5-6 months out of the year which is ridiculous, both of mine hate the snow and cold and wont even go out it in. So the four of us all agreed as a family that we love to be warm, love to be outside, love to swim, the ocean, beaches, and everything Florida has to offer.

Our kids were a large part of our decision, we involved them and as a family decided to start making plans to move to Florida where we all can enjoy life instead of being stuffed inside for months on end.

Things I have learned.

1. Do the things your immediate family enjoys and under most circumstances, and not all, make choices based on what your immediate families needs are. We allowed our families to drive us away from what we loved to do and 20 years later it was a mistake!

2. You will never know what it is like until you try it. We have decided to give it a go and if we do not like the town we pick we will move around until we find one that fits us. One thing is for sure, we will not be moving back here and go through another winter like we just had. And we wont be no halfback either, we want to be warm and close to an ocean.

3. Do not allow pressure from family and friends to influence your choices. Sure listen to them as they have some great advice but in our case they had their best interest in heart and not ours. And it hurt us badly.

4. Do not make the mistake we made. We should have stayed in Florida 20 years ago. Even if it is not Florida for you, go ad try it but make the choice based on your immediate family and do not allow other family members to influence your decisions. (For naysayers: I am NOT meaning if it is parents health issue or other important family issues ) I mean they were in their 40's and healthy then and we allowed them to influence us based on what their feelings were and not our wants.

Cannot wait to go back.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Well, I tried to talk my older daughter OUT of moving here. She was having financial problems and moved in with us here. She came here just after Thanksgiving. This past weekend she went back to NY to visit. While there, she went to see HR where she used to work. They told her she would always have a job there. She called all the people she knew and is trying to line up an apartment and roommates. She is saving most of her paycheck for her move back. I am not the least bit surprised. I knew she would not like it here. I told her so. As she said to me, "I WILL be out of this state by the summer."

So, she will probably last in Florida maybe 6 months.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I have lived in Florida for over 2 years. I will be moving back to the Northeast at the end of this month.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I have lived in Florida for over 2 years. I will be moving back to the Northeast at the end of this month.

Awesome Send a cheese steak when you get there

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Awesome Send a cheese steak when you get there
You know I will

Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You know I will

Pat's is the best--better than Gino's

Anyway, back to the topic--sorry, I get carried away when I hear someone moving to Philly since I HAVE to mention cheese steaks since that's my first thought

Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Because we were young and allowed family to convince us that we need to be here around them. Huge mistake!

We wanted to try Florida because we both spent many years growing up with our families vacationing in Florida and loved it in Florida.

We caved into both sides families pushing us to move back.

Sure it is nice to be around family and friends and we have enjoyed them but if I had to do it again, I would have stayed in Florida 20+ years ago.

We regret not getting to do the things we love to do such as scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, beaches, being in the warm air and sun. Went went to Florida to enjoy all that and more such as the beautiful natural wonders such as Homosassa Springs, Silver Springs, Sunken Gardens etc.

20 years later we realize it was a huge mistake and now want our kids who are still young to be able to enjoy what we miss, they love being warm, swimming and being outdoors. Both of them love the weather in July & August here so we took a 2 week vacation last August to Florida and they both loved it.

That vacation is what got us talking about moving to Florida and not letting them miss out on so much of the things we all enjoy.

Kids here stay indoors 5-6 months out of the year which is ridiculous, both of mine hate the snow and cold and wont even go out it in. So the four of us all agreed as a family that we love to be warm, love to be outside, love to swim, the ocean, beaches, and everything Florida has to offer.

Our kids were a large part of our decision, we involved them and as a family decided to start making plans to move to Florida where we all can enjoy life instead of being stuffed inside for months on end.

Things I have learned.

1. Do the things your immediate family enjoys and under most circumstances, and not all, make choices based on what your immediate families needs are. We allowed our families to drive us away from what we loved to do and 20 years later it was a mistake!

2. You will never know what it is like until you try it. We have decided to give it a go and if we do not like the town we pick we will move around until we find one that fits us. One thing is for sure, we will not be moving back here and go through another winter like we just had. And we wont be no halfback either, we want to be warm and close to an ocean.

3. Do not allow pressure from family and friends to influence your choices. Sure listen to them as they have some great advice but in our case they had their best interest in heart and not ours. And it hurt us badly.

4. Do not make the mistake we made. We should have stayed in Florida 20 years ago. Even if it is not Florida for you, go ad try it but make the choice based on your immediate family and do not allow other family members to influence your decisions. (For naysayers: I am NOT meaning if it is parents health issue or other important family issues ) I mean they were in their 40's and healthy then and we allowed them to influence us based on what their feelings were and not our wants.

Cannot wait to go back.
It sounds like you will be very happy here. Just make sure you have a job lined up before you move. I wish you the best.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judes View Post
We lived in Florida 12 years and family convinced us it was "the right thing to do" to move back up north. This is our second winter here and the "for sale" sign is going up as soon as it thaws. We will go back to FL, where there is sunshine, no state income tax, higher HO insurance, higher car insurance, but no snow to shovel. Can't wait to get back to the warmth and out of these unwieldy winter coats.
I pay someone to clear the snow. Costs much less than the difference in HOI, property tax, and car insurance.

I think the problem most people have with winter is seasonal depression. This can easily be fixed by taking antidepressants during the winter months.

I wouldn't give up the change of seasons and rolling hills for a baking sun and flat terrain year round.

Been there and done that, took me one week to realize that Florida is not for me beyond a week or two in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida