Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My hoi and prop tax is under $4200 a year combined. i know many places up north that prop tax alone would be higher.

did you also suggest someone take antidepressants because of where they live?

that is funny.
My HOI and proptery tax are under $2K combined. I am betting I have a more beautiful and higher quality house than you.

Also, have you heard of reverse affective disorder? Don't think that people in FL don't need antidepressans from the unrelentless baking sun.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
My HOI and proptery tax are under $2K combined. I am betting I have a more beautiful and higher quality house than you.

Also, have you heard of reverse affective disorder? Don't think that people in FL don't need antidepressans from the unrelentless baking sun.
if you would have said you had a X sq ft house on X acres built in 200X and were only paying $X in hoi and prop tax then your post might be able to be taken seriously.

instead you claim to have a more beautiful and higher quality house than me, that just makes your post ridiculous since you have not the faintest idea what my house is like.

but the internet is a wonderful thing, you can be a multi millionaire living in a 40,000 sq ft mansion even if you actually live in a cardboard box down by the river eating government cheese.

please don't respond telling me again how much nicer your house is because i really don't care

as far as seasonal affective disorder, you may be more aware of it than i am since it seems to be more prevalent where you are. i have simpler solution than for people to take antidepressants, MOVE.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
if you would have said you had a X sq ft house on X acres built in 200X and were only paying $X in hoi and prop tax then your post might be able to be taken seriously.

instead you claim to have a more beautiful and higher quality house than me, that just makes your post ridiculous since you have not the faintest idea what my house is like.

but the internet is a wonderful thing, you can be a multi millionaire living in a 40,000 sq ft mansion even if you actually live in a cardboard box down by the river eating government cheese.

please don't respond telling me again how much nicer your house is because i really don't care

as far as seasonal affective disorder, you may be more aware of it than i am since it seems to be more prevalent where you are. i have simpler solution than for people to take antidepressants, MOVE.
I know about what your home is valued at because I know the property tax rate there.

I have a 2000 square foot, split-level home. Built in 1968. Has new alum. siding, new slide-by windows, new plumbing and updated electric, new roof, gas-fire place set on a brick wall, large deck. quality BR and kit. fictures, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, large yard with mature foliage, ect......

Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Though you'd also have to know the purchase year of the property because of how Florida applies the homestead exemption law. We pay half the property taxes that someone who bought a similar home at the peak of the boom does. (and our tax bill is about a third of what my parents pay in Michigan for a similar value home)

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I know about what your home is valued at because I know the property tax rate there.

I have a 2000 square foot, split-level home. Built in 1968. Has new alum. siding, new slide-by windows, new plumbing and updated electric, new roof, gas-fire place set on a brick wall, large deck. quality BR and kit. fictures, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, large yard with mature foliage, ect......
So we have determined now that your house is smaller, older, less bedrooms, less bathrooms, no pool and on a smaller property than mine.

I can understand why you think yours is more beautiful and of higher quality, it is just so obvious.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So we have determined now that your house is smaller, older, less bedrooms, less bathrooms, no pool and on a smaller property than mine.

I can understand why you think yours is more beautiful and of higher quality, it is just so obvious.
Remember, you can live in a mansion on internet but in a cardboard box in reality!

I don't need, or want a pool, the public swimming pool is 2 blocks from my home. I don't want a bigger house, more to clean, heat and cool. BTW my utilitiies run no more than $200/month gas + electric combined. My home is beautiful, with all new light fictures, carpeting, flooring, vertical and honey-comb blinds and all windows. 1968 is a year when the homes were known to be built very high quality.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Remember, you can live in a mansion on internet but in a cardboard box in reality!

I don't need, or want a pool, the public swimming pool is 2 blocks from my home. I don't want a bigger house, more to clean, heat and cool. BTW my utilitiies run no more than $200/month gas + electric combined. My home is beautiful, with all new light fictures, carpeting, flooring, vertical and honey-comb blinds and all windows. 1968 is a year when the homes were known to be built very high quality.
Your wants and needs were not at all relevant to this.

My utilities have never been over $200 a month, they usually run around $165-$185 during the summer and $100-$125 during the winter

The year a home was built is not in any way an assurance of the quality of construction.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM

25 posts, read 122,227 times
Quote:
I pay someone to clear the snow. Costs much less than the difference in HOI, property tax, and car insurance.

I think the problem most people have with winter is seasonal depression. This can easily be fixed by taking antidepressants during the winter months.

I wouldn't give up the change of seasons and rolling hills for a baking sun and flat terrain year round.

Been there and done that, took me one week to realize that Florida is not for me beyond a week or two in the winter months.
HA! Very funny! As if when you pay someone to clear your snow they're there whevever you need them...like early morning when you need to leave for work. Our driveway gets plowed when it snows, but we still need to dig our car out of the snow and freeze our butts off while we do it.

"Antidepressants during the winter months"...you must be joking!!! I HOPE you're joking!!!

By the way, I really don't understand how everyone says it's so much more expensive in Florida...I live in Upstate NY where it's SO much cheaper than most other places I've researched and most of Florida (with the exception of the wealthy areas, like anywhere else) is comperable.

I can't wait to move down there...I hope we last there longer than most =)

Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM

75 posts, read 220,164 times
Default SW state

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
moved here in 2001--often think of leaving, but I always go on my search during the winter months because I never want those grey, dreary days for months at a time again. I have thoroughly covered the southeastern states--and haven't found any place better yet. I'll go look at Texas,AZ, NM--but short of finding something there, I'll probably stay here.
We are thinking about a florida move. The only other state we are considering is Oklahoma. Not near OK city, but near the Arkansas and Texas borders. Winters here are very moderate, many lakes abound, great national forests. Check weather reports for Hugo, OK. I sure was surprised by the mellow weather.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Read my post on the other thread about reverse SAD

Quote:

I had it even in NY in the summers since I was a child. DREADED summers and hibernated. Just imagine what it is like living in Florida with year round summer. I have said many times that I would rather live in Maine than Florida. Anywhere without this endless sun, heat, and humidity.

To everyone else, just think about how YOU would feel with 12 months of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida