Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Florida shorten school weeks to 4 days?
Yes. 7 17.95%
No. 31 79.49%
Maybe./Unsure./I don't know 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM

292 posts, read 956,614 times

Advertisements

Who is going to pay for daycare? Mom and Dad have a 5 or 6 day workweek. I hope the government is ready to start footing the bill for that one. Definite fumble- stupid plan to save money and cut a corner. Maybe we should invest more in the kids who will someday run the country instead of cutting their time out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I don't think school uniforms are nazi-like. I went to a public school growing up and decided to switch to a catholic school in middle school. I loved the uniforms. Everyone was equal. If you didn't have the money to buy the hollisters no one would ever know, we were all dressed alike. Maybe some had shorter skirts but that was another issue.
Prisons and concentration camps use the same method you describe, if that says anything.

It's rather telling that the people on here are more concerned about losing the daycare service (what they use schools for) than the actual education itself.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:45 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
This is true. The schools in the North are way...I mean WAY more advanced than our kids. So if kids in other states are learning more, harder, challenging things, why are we cutting down the days on a poor school and learning system???

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaluv View Post
They are far enough behind as it is here.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
Here is the thing with the uniforms. I AGREE with them. I am a mother (and not old fashioned, I am 26). My oldest daughter is 7 and in 1st grade. Here's my thing-I AGREE with uniforms, but I DON'T agree with how our school system in Hillsborough County approaches them. What sense does it make to have the elementary kids wear uniforms and the middle and high school kids not to wear uniforms. Middle and high school is when kids start getting into name brands and designer wear. So how is the uniforms effective when they only enforce it on elementary kids who don't even care what they wear??? Uniforms are supposed to solve the issue of "oh I wear Hollister, Abercombie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Juciy Couture, and any other name brand. In my day we always were into showing off our name brand clothes-Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilifiger, GAP, Bongo...school isn't a fashion contest. I was guilty of the name brand wearing and showing off in high school also, but we all were...it shouldn't be like that. Kids go to school to learn, not play dress up.

Originally Posted by dmccauley
I don't think school uniforms are nazi-like. I went to a public school growing up and decided to switch to a catholic school in middle school. I loved the uniforms. Everyone was equal. If you didn't have the money to buy the hollisters no one would ever know, we were all dressed alike. Maybe some had shorter skirts but that was another issue.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
4 days of school? Aren't the kids here dumb enough?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
I went to Catholic School for 12 years and DETESTED those uniforms. Oh, and the girls really found very creative ways to set themselves apart. Where there is a will there is way.

My daughters went to public school. Designer clothes? Both my daughters played sports and their dress in school reflected that. They wanted COMFORT more than prestige. When my younger daughter was in the primary grades, she wore overalls and ponytails. The kids teased her constantly. I can remember her saying that she dressed the way SHE liked, not what somebody else liked. If YOU don't like it, it's none of your business. I think she was about 6 years old at the time. Yeah, she did dance to the beat of her own drummer, but so what? Eventually, the other kids did leave her alone, especially once she got older and made her mark as an athlete.

Back to the OP. No, I don't favor 4 day weeks. Besides the hardship that poses to working parents, it is very, very difficult to keep young children focused for 6 hours a day, let alone 10 or more. I also used to work in after school care and so many of those kids were literally basket cases by the time 6 o'clock rolled around.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
As a student, I don't think they should have a four day week. :/ It'd mean adding extra time to the school day - I already wake up at 5 AM and get home around 3 PM, with 5 hours at most free time. Any later, and it'd be even more difficult to do homework, have a modicum of social life, and get enough sleep.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 AM

97 posts, read 278,915 times
Personally, I think the public school has my child too many hours and accomplishes too little. It is not the school's responsibility to babysit my kids. It IS their responsibility to educate. They could use less hours but be more productive in the time they have. I would love for there to only be 4 days........gives us more family time!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM

310 posts, read 869,166 times
Absolutely no--it would be a logistical nightmare for working parents and the kids don't learn enough as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida