Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the law be changed to mandate helmets?
Yes 40 54.79%
No 29 39.73%
Don't care 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,192,765 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if there is ANYBODY here that has forced their children to keep their seatbelts on at all times when traveling in a car, never once permitting a child to move from the location he/she was strapped into.

I'll be the first one to raise my hand. YES, I have let my kid lie down in the back when she gets tired, especially on an 8 hour car trip. YES, I do the same myself when I get tired. Of course this means we aren't wearing our seatbelts. Who else is brave enough to admit that they too have done this.

On the topic of children wearing helmets while on motorcycles. First, I am not fond of anyone under the age of 18 riding on the back of a motorcycle - but 16 should probably be the limit. The reason for this is that children on the back of motorcycles can be too distracting for the rider. I do believe that all minors should be required to wear helmets while on motorcycles. Bicycle helmet legislation, though, is absurd, unless minors are riding on major roads. There is no reason kids shouldn't be alowed to ride their bikes in a neighborhood without having to wear helmets. Kids have been riding bicycles in neighborhoods for over 100 years without stupid laws telling them to wear helmets. KICK THE NANNIES OUT OF GOVERNMENT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Default Sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I'd like to know if there is ANYBODY here that has forced their children to keep their seatbelts on at all times when traveling in a car, never once permitting a child to move from the location he/she was strapped into.

I'll be the first one to raise my hand. YES, I have let my kid lie down in the back when she gets tired, especially on an 8 hour car trip. YES, I do the same myself when I get tired. Of course this means we aren't wearing our seatbelts. Who else is brave enough to admit that they too have done this.

On the topic of children wearing helmets while on motorcycles. First, I am not fond of anyone under the age of 18 riding on the back of a motorcycle - but 16 should probably be the limit. The reason for this is that children on the back of motorcycles can be too distracting for the rider. I do believe that all minors should be required to wear helmets while on motorcycles. Bicycle helmet legislation, though, is absurd, unless minors are riding on major roads. There is no reason kids shouldn't be alowed to ride their bikes in a neighborhood without having to wear helmets. Kids have been riding bicycles in neighborhoods for over 100 years without stupid laws telling them to wear helmets. KICK THE NANNIES OUT OF GOVERNMENT!!!
You are taking the seatbelt statement to the extremes and you know it. Growing up, we took 10+ hours car trips and always had the seatbelts on. You make it sound like the kids are strapped in so tight they can't even move. Kids are limber and can sleep in almost any position. Trust me, we did and any my kids did too.
Sadly these rules had to be mandated not because of the responsible people Prichard, but for people who think just tossing a kid of any age into the car and taking off is ok. The law was enacted to protect the children of the people who don't give a rat's behind about anything but themselves.
As for myself??? I always strapped my kids in because it made sense not because someone told me I had to. But again.....as I've already pointed out....those laws weren't enacted because of me.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Lets bring it back to the topic, 52% agree that we should have a law mandating helmets. They do provide some safety and can cause damage to the head or neck.

The following are a series of pictures that a helmet might/might not be a factor;

The driver had protection....

Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I just passed what looked like a motorcycle fatality down the road from where I live. Maybe we should ban motorcycles altogether. I've seen enough.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 PM

607 posts, read 3,558,250 times
wow...........I'm gonna put on my helmut right now. And I don't even ride a motorcycle

Old 04-07-2007, 04:15 PM

44 posts, read 275,336 times
Default Helmets

I can't go yes/no on the helmet issue. Life is all about choices, right and wrong ones. I think the helmet should be a personal choice, how many of those do we have left???? I have and have not worn one while riding on the back of a Harley. Part of the allure of riding is the "wind in your hair", the sense of freedom, of breathing the air on an open road. Should people in convertibles have to wear helmets if bikers have to wear seat belts?
There are crazy bike riders, car drivers, people walking into traffic, and on and on. Many drivers are not paying attention to what's going on around them, and that is an observation also made from inside a car, as well as on a bike.
Let's face it re: insurance companies.........everyone that has insurance is going to pay, one way or the other for losses. We see it w/hurricanes, car crashes, etc. etc. Companies will pass on there financial losses in the form of higher premiums to those that do have insurance. I don't know the numbers, but I do know from my career experience that there are a great number of uninsured motorist in Florida, a great number of insurance frauds committed by people "staging" car crashes to cash in on insurance payments. I would guess that in most bike crashes, the biker is the bigger loser than someone on 4 wheels. Let them make the decision to helmet or not, knowing the risks.
So, maybe there is a "happy" medium for those that choose not to wear a helmet in the way of insurance costs/coverage. Although there are good samaritans in this country, many people will just keep driving no matter who is involved in a crash whether it's a biker or the someones grandma in her 4 door sedan. Each individual has to make their own decisions and live with their conscience.
I have to support bikers (who are not all wild, crazy, etc.) in the sense that when there is a ill/injured child/person these are a dedicated group of people that will raise money to help. Who participated recently in protecting the Vietnam Wall and other monuments in D.C. , who participates in a "peaceful" formation against protestors at Veterans funerals?..........the Patriot Guard a motorcycle group.
I rambled enough for many, I'm sure........THE END

Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan058 View Post
I can't go yes/no on the helmet issue. Life is all about choices, right and wrong ones. I think the helmet should be a personal choice, how many of those do we have left???? I have and have not worn one while riding on the back of a Harley. Part of the allure of riding is the "wind in your hair", the sense of freedom, of breathing the air on an open road. Should people in convertibles have to wear helmets if bikers have to wear seat belts?
There are crazy bike riders, car drivers, people walking into traffic, and on and on. Many drivers are not paying attention to what's going on around them, and that is an observation also made from inside a car, as well as on a bike.
Let's face it re: insurance companies.........everyone that has insurance is going to pay, one way or the other for losses. We see it w/hurricanes, car crashes, etc. etc. Companies will pass on there financial losses in the form of higher premiums to those that do have insurance. I don't know the numbers, but I do know from my career experience that there are a great number of uninsured motorist in Florida, a great number of insurance frauds committed by people "staging" car crashes to cash in on insurance payments. I would guess that in most bike crashes, the biker is the bigger loser than someone on 4 wheels. Let them make the decision to helmet or not, knowing the risks.
So, maybe there is a "happy" medium for those that choose not to wear a helmet in the way of insurance costs/coverage. Although there are good samaritans in this country, many people will just keep driving no matter who is involved in a crash whether it's a biker or the someones grandma in her 4 door sedan. Each individual has to make their own decisions and live with their conscience.
I have to support bikers (who are not all wild, crazy, etc.) in the sense that when there is a ill/injured child/person these are a dedicated group of people that will raise money to help. Who participated recently in protecting the Vietnam Wall and other monuments in D.C. , who participates in a "peaceful" formation against protestors at Veterans funerals?..........the Patriot Guard a motorcycle group.
I rambled enough for many, I'm sure........THE END
I appreciate your comments. But if the helmet might give anyone an opportunity to survive an accident, then my choice will be use one. Is a bit late to say "what about a helmet" after the accident.

Happy Easter.....

Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
Default Helmets In Context

Golfers get hit by lightening - should they have laws enforcing weather and golf playing? Passengers get killed on planes - should airlines provide parachutes and airborne exit training? Swimmers get bitten by sharks - should we have nets at all beachs and swim cages - legally mandated? People get killed in cars - should we have roll bars in all cars - and helmets. (I have a lot of analogies in mind but will stop here )

What makes helmets on motorcycles so unique? As an earlier post said - "life is about choices".

I think perhaps part of the solution is having expensive insurance being required for those activities that multiple actuararies can demonstrate cost our society excessively. In addition, perhaps parents should have to carry life insurance to care for their kids. So, that would be part of the choice.

I for one DO NOT like being told what to do by others who think they know what is good for me. However, I do see the reason in making me responsible for my choices.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Maybe our lawyers or policeman can provide inside to this question
Please, no.

The entire question begs for nanny-state protectionism.

I have another question: By what fundamental right will the collective State mandate how the private citizen lives? And folks, spare me the costs-to-society notions -- by that logic government should just run everything. And poorly, which is an absolute guarantee.

Not that it isn't heading that direction already.

My point is that the government isn't here to protect us from ourselves. It's here to protect our fundamental rights, including to live as we see fit.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 334,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I appreciate your comments. But if the helmet might give anyone an opportunity to survive an accident, then my choice will be use one. Is a bit late to say "what about a helmet" after the accident.

Happy Easter.....
True. But the point of behavior must remain separate from the argument that the State should institute what amounts to a moral/behavioral code and mandate by law how people live simply because a majority agree.

Sheer majority democracy doesn't trump personal rights, or at least, it wasn't supposed to.

People "shouldn't" murder, steal, cheat others, smoke, drink, gamble, hire hookers, read the wrong stuff, worship the wrong religions, say bad words, look cross at one another, have dark thoughts -- see the progression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: