Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the law be changed to mandate helmets?
Yes 40 54.79%
No 29 39.73%
Don't care 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,153 times

Advertisements

This is FL seatbelt law.

Motorists in Florida are reminded of the new Primary Seat Belt Law which becomes effective July 1, 2005. The new primary law, passed by the 2005 Florida Legislature and signed by Governor Jeb Bush recently, requires that occupants (including the driver) of a motor vehicle under the age of 18 buckle up in their vehicle. Law enforcement officers can now stop any vehicle when drivers or occupants under the age of 18 are seen not wearing seat belts. Under the new Primary Seat Belt Law, drivers will be held responsible for the failure of any occupant under the age of 18 who fails to buckle up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
I think wearing helmets should be the law. Why? Because it saves lives and if people are not smart enough to make the choice from the start to make their riding safer then the will have to do it for them. Statistics show that having helmet laws saves lives.

People are so afraid it won't be cool to wear a helmet. Well I'll tell you what, laying on the side of the road with head damage isn't cool. Get a nice helmet and do it for those that love you if you won't do it for yourself.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
12 voters so far. Should the state have a referendum on this matter?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 PM

77 posts, read 305,789 times
Next will be "Air-Bags" on bikes.........................

Old 03-21-2007, 04:54 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
I don't have a motorcycle
my ex-fiance had one of those I thnk they call them "crotch rockets" I didn't like riding on the back as there was no "sissy bar" I kept feeling like I was going to fall off. When he was on the bike alone he loved doing what he called "triple digits" (just one of the dumb things that helped to make him my ex )

Now I have been on the back of a harley totally different experience I actually felt safer not only because of the "sissy bar" but I didn't feel as if my knees where in my chin

I have friends who ride and a couple of them that have been involved in accidents say that they would of had more serious injuries if they had not been wearing a helmet.
All I know is that if a loved one of mine were to have a bike there would be no way they would get out of the house without a helmet.

JMO

karla

Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
I absolutely believe in wearing helmets. Long, heavy padded pants and jackets, gloves, boots. The whole 9 yards.

I spent quite a lot of time, many years ago, on the back of a Gold Wing. That thing was bigger and more stable than a lot of small cars, but you definitely feel exposed and vulnerable.

And those little black soup bowls that they wear and think those are helmets, oh please.

I'm in Miami and I see these hummn, errrr, yep, those, on the highways, on local streets, zooming past in between lanes and they are out of their freaking minds.

My son had one of those where you're horizontal on the bike, called Ninjas or something. After using it in CA to go from point A to point B quickly, he apparently went through a maturing phase and used the bike only in official racing courses, where there were no oil spills or crazy car drivers to worry about.

Yeah BIG HUGE HELMETS should be mandatory!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
When I was in school, I was a nanny for two years for three wonderful girls, aged 8-14. I became very close with the whole family, as you might imagine. By day, the parents were professionals, by night and weekends, both Mom & Dad loved their Harleys and would go on extended weekend road trips. Two years ago, Mom (aka JoAnn) wrecked on her Harley. She did not wear a helmet. It is hard to say whether she would have survived had she worn one, as the trauma to her body was so awful, but it was her brain injury that did her in, and she passed away a day later. Such a sad, sad case. This was an intelligent woman who, at 47, had everything in front of her. Was she too "stupid" not to wear a helmet? I don't think so at all, but she didn't, and it cost her her life.

People know the risks. It's not a matter of ignorance so much, it's a matter of risk. For many that ride motorcycles, it's all about that.

Personally, I would wear a helmet, but that's just me.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 88,083 times
Exclamation YES! Helmets!

My husband is a firefighter and they have been to many fatal accidents.... he always says... if he had a helmet on he may have saved his life... he hates riders that don't wear helmets.. cause obviously he's been in the scene and it's pretty scary... (in Colombia you'll get a ticket if you dont wear helmet)

Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM

66 posts, read 313,144 times
I had a friend that was sputtering mad about being forced to wear a helmet on his cycle. His explanation to me was the lack of visibility. He turned to me during an argument about it (I think he was having the argument, not me) and challenged me to wear a helmet while driving my car and see if I did not agree. I said “Sure, as long as you equip your bike with a seat & shoulder belt.” He kinda scrunched his jaw to the left and looked at me and said “Oh…yeah. See your point.” I watched him drive off with that damn helmet on his head. The next year, it saved his life when the helmet hit the curb first, instead of his hard, old head.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
19 voters so far. But no straight answer on: Should the state have a referendum on this matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: