Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,848 times

Advertisements

I am not a Florida basher and I love it here, but like so so many places, jobs are scarce. I would recommend to anyone, but especially someone with dependents, to find a job before moving anywhere. It only makes sense. My job is portable, but we still waited almost 2 years until dh had a job down here before we moved. I can't imagine doing otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I have been looking for ANY, yes ANY job in Florida for 5 months now and have not found one. I am getting out of here in 3 months. I also have a pretty stellar resume...so don't think this is a only uneducated people can't find jobs thing... uneducated people are actually probably better off and able to get a minimum wage thing here where as educated people are gonna be told they are overqualified... got this 3 times, I assume about 10 other times for putting my resume out to retail/ chains etc. I was going to get one job, then was told the position had been eliminated due to budget (was a state of fl job)
I have another one waiting on a month now to get if the job ever gets "approval"
I completely agree with this. My wife, who has no degree and few marketable skills, has a much easier time getting a job than I do with my skill set. I am either told I am overqualified, or not even called back at all.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM

18 posts, read 52,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Hubby and I moved here in Feb without jobs waiting for us. But we're both nurses. Both had one in a week.
My wife and I are planning/hoping to move down to S FL around June-August. I am in the final phases of the hiring process with a Police Dept in the area. My wife is a RN in Michigan and is currently working on getting her license endorsed in FL. Do you have any advise for her as far as jobs/licensing/particular hospitals or anything that could help out? Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Todays news.

Retirees, laid-off teachers among throngs of job-seekers : Employment : TCPalm

Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times

good post, if you guys do not believe us posters here about the job situation and think we are all just "bashers" how about read the article...
I've never EVER not been able to find a job within a few weeks search and apply and have held at least a part time job since I was 14. I'll be 29 soon, so that is about half my life.
Hey, I have plenty of family here, I am a 20+ year Florida resident, but can't afford to stay here any longer, gotta get into a better job market where there are at least "A" job, even if it isn't what I want to do. I WISH I could get a job at Subway or Blockbuster Video or something right about now.
I left before because of the reasons of not being able to find a decent paying job in my field after I was done with University, but I could have got a crap job no problem, and I did for a bit til I got fed up with trying to find a real one...This was in 2002-2003 Now I am leaving because there are no good jobs AND no crap jobs just to generate a basic income.

I didn't exactly move here w/o a job entirely though... The plan was to move here, work on masters part time and stay at one of my parents houses for awhile while looking for a job and then get a place of our own. So I could be closer to my family and help my parents the next few years transition into retirement. We've given it 5 months time. This was supposed to take less than a month... Never got passed the find a job part for either me OR my girlfriend. I also have no debt, but definitely burned through my bank account over the past year. I would feel really bad for somebody who moved here got a house and actually had bills to pay. Soon as this semester is over, then about a month of wrapping stuff up, we are outta here.

Last edited by grapico; 03-23-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Quote:
good post, if you guys do not believe us posters here about the job situation and think we are all just "bashers" how about read the article...
I've never EVER not been able to find a job within a few weeks search and apply and have held at least a part time job since I was 14.
Hey, I have plenty of family here, I am a 20+ year Florida resident, but can't afford to stay here any longer, gotta get into a better job market where there are at least "A" job, even if it isn't what I want to do. I WISH I could get a job at Subway or Blockbuster Video or something right about now.
I left before because of the reasons of not being able to find a decent paying job in my field after I was done with University, but I could have got a crap job no problem, and I did for a bit til I got fed up with trying to find a real one...This was in 2002-2003 Now I am leaving because there are no good jobs AND no crap jobs just to generate a basic income.
It is mind boggling to me that there are still people out there who are of working age, in need of a job to survive, and still have a dated/outdated perspective that they can pack their bags, move to Florida, and bingo, find a job.

Hello, let's all read the papers, watch the news...and learn that the economic situation is a national one and that some states like Florida are hit severley. What one could well do successfully in the past does not obtain today. Please, guys and gals, think hard and long before giving up a job and moving to Florida or elsewhere in the hopes of finding something to do.....unless you have lots of cash or nothing to lose because you're unemployed and in bad shape already where you presently are.....even then make sure that a bad situation doesn't turn to a worse situation.

Best.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM

55 posts, read 184,877 times
The ocean, sunshine, and warm weather do not pay the bills! I lived in FL from 2004 till 2009 and I could tell that it was going downhill year by year. Anyone would be crazy to move there without a job lined up FIRST! Unemployment has reached 10% there.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
It is mind boggling to me that there are still people out there who are of working age, in need of a job to survive, and still have a dated/outdated perspective that they can pack their bags, move to Florida, and bingo, find a job.

Hello, let's all read the papers, watch the news...and learn that the economic situation is a national one and that some states like Florida are hit severley. What one could well do successfully in the past does not obtain today. Please, guys and gals, think hard and long before giving up a job and moving to Florida or elsewhere in the hopes of finding something to do.....unless you have lots of cash or nothing to lose because you're unemployed and in bad shape already where you presently are.....even then make sure that a bad situation doesn't turn to a worse situation.

Best.
Hrrmm I am not sure if that was a shot at me or what, but I left my job for a humanatarian trip in Africa, THEN ended up in Florida. This was in June 2008, and had started planning it a year advance working on a project back in Summer of 2007 when things were fine, I got back here on December 15, 2008...just in time for Christmas when s|-|it hit the fan. lol, there was no "news" of this for me. There were riots and massacre and had to get out of the country on evacuation insurance.
Check it out...
http://pakalert.wordpress.com/2008/1...sacred-in-jos/
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Dec01/0,4670,AFNigeriaClashes,00.html (broken link)
Just because I complain about it doesn't mean I can't "handle" it.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Quote:
Hrrmm I am not sure if that was a shot at me or what, but I left my job for a humanatarian trip in Africa, THEN ended up in Florida. This was in June 2008, and had started planning it a year advance working on a project back in Summer of 2007 when things were fine, I got back here on December 15, 2008...just in time for Christmas when s|-|it hit the fan. lol, there was no "news" of this for me. There were riots and massacre and had to get out of the country on evacuation insurance.
Check it out...
381 Humans Massacred in Jos, Nigeria With Complete Black Out of International Media « Pak Alert Press
FOXNews.com - Deadly Nigerian riots tied to rifts over election - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News (http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Dec01/0,4670,AFNigeriaClashes,00.html - broken link)
Just because I complain about it doesn't mean I can't "handle" it.
Wow, my friend, no one is casting stones at anyone here; just responding to the OP's concerns/trying to prevent people out there from making life changing mistakes.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasrn View Post
The ocean, sunshine, and warm weather do not pay the bills! I lived in FL from 2004 till 2009 and I could tell that it was going downhill year by year. Anyone would be crazy to move there without a job lined up FIRST! Unemployment has reached 10% there.
to add to that, Florida doesn't have a very diverse, or advanced economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Wow, my friend, no one is casting stones at anyone here; just responding to the OP's concerns/trying to prevent people out there from making life changing mistakes.
haha no worries, I have had a few others be like, u need to go sell some hot dogs son! :/

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida