Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That isn't a huge salary to people from metro NYC.
Despite the blanket carping from people that you need to be a millionaire to enjoy Florida, you don't NEED a 100k salary to live well in Florida, especially now when things have dropped in price by a lot. It makes things nicer, of course, but it really isn't necessary for people who lead average lifestyles. Can YOU buy a 3 bed/2 bath/2 Car garage house that wasn't built in 1935 and have rooms the size of broom closets for less than 100k pretty much anywhere in the NYC metro area (that's not a complete ghetto?)

That's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
The most up to date list I can find is from 2008..

Florida has 33
New York has 93
New Jersey has 42
Pennsylvania has 49

Fortune 500 2008: States - California
thats the fortune 1000, if you looked just at the top 500

Florida has 14
New York has 55
New Jersey has 23
Pennsylvania has 25

Florida still falls far short,esp considering how many people we have. For any number of reasons, large companies dont want to re-locate here, and many that got large here moved elsewhere or where bought out.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default She is probably relating to Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Despite the blanket carping from people that you need to be a millionaire to enjoy Florida, you don't NEED a 100k salary to live well in Florida, especially now when things have dropped in price by a lot. It makes things nicer, of course, but it really isn't necessary for people who lead average lifestyles. Can YOU buy a 3 bed/2 bath/2 Car garage house that wasn't built in 1935 and have rooms the size of broom closets for less than 100k pretty much anywhere in the NYC metro area (that's not a complete ghetto?)

That's the point.
which is another different animal. Sure, it was WAY overpriced and it is still going down, but UNDER $100,000 for a 3 bedroom/2 car garage? I really, really, doubt that. You might now find something "near" that, if you don't mind living next door to a grow house.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Okay, well... $1,000 off $7,000 isn't really that big of a decrease, numbers mean nothing unless you complete them.

Anyone can say " I saved $1,000 bucks " that means more if you were paying $1,240 vs. $8,000.
Why am I always defending myself on this board??? My property taxes went from $4,600 to $3,600. Where do you get $7,000??? Our assessment went down in Indian River County and our homestead exemption went from $25,000 to $50,000. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Plus, it's Vero Beach, & the streets are paved in gold!
Ahhh.... finally... this comment says it all. Jealous maybe?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Maybe if a person is 80 they would be jealous of Vero Beach. According to the latest census, people age 65 and above make up the largest segment of the population.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23
Other states have things to lean on.

Florida will be dependent on people coming down to go to the beach, Disney, and the other parks.

I wonder if that will happen.
Of course it will. Eventually. Once we finally start to climb out of this mess and people begin to vacation a little more freely, tourism will pick back up, and there will always be a steady trickle even during downturns. Those who depend on tourism expect this to happen during economic downturns. Maybe those theme parks should try cutting their prices for a change!

As for whether people will continue to actually relocate here which was also driving Florida's economy (via construction), I think that the same is true. It may not be THE retirement spot anymore, but young professionals who haven't put down deep roots elsewhere still want to relocate here. What's stopping them is the economy and the job market.

This does really reinforce the point that Florida needs to diversify its industry. We are going to lose what's left of the citrus industry pretty soon between the hurricanes spreading the canker far and wide and the citrus greening disease spreading unchecked. Which is frankly better for Florida as sad as it is for the industry. All that agriculture requires incredible amounts of fertilizer since Florida's soil (and I use the term loosely!) is so poor. All that fertilizer gets washed out to the ocean and the gulf, getting the chemistry all out of whack and screwing up the ecosystem. I remember when the water at Clearwater beach was literally clear.

What else do we have? Several valuable ports. A good size, extremely diverse population. Sadly depressed wages. Space race era defense contractors. Decent universities. Insufficient infrastructure. Unfair tax structure. Very jekyll and hyde weather. Like everywhere else, Florida has strengths and weaknesses. Right now Florida is getting hit harder than places that didn't boom the way we did. That doesn't mean Florida is doomed. In the long run, plenty of people love this place even if it's not for everyone.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
If your posts indicate the "personalities" of Vero Beach..absolutely nothing to be jealous about; more along the lines of feeling sorry for those sorts of people...what a isolated way to live...but cheers, best of luck living off the things you complain about!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
thats the fortune 1000, if you looked just at the top 500

Florida has 14
New York has 55
New Jersey has 23
Pennsylvania has 25

Florida still falls far short,esp considering how many people we have. For any number of reasons, large companies don't want to re-locate here, and many that got large here moved elsewhere or where bought out.
It is called location, being central to distribute goods and products is why.
Why do you think Saturn built in Tenn?
The new solar plant in Tenn?
Both because of being great distribution points.
Why do you think Atlanta is growing so fast recently? It's all about location.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:04 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
There are many jealous people posting here. They cannot stand it when you live in a decent home or town, have a good paying job, can move about whenever and wherever you want.

They simply cannot stand the fact they might be stuck in a location they can not get out of while others can move about and or are happy to be living nicely with good incomes in paradise.

I am glad you said it first, I have been thinking it for a while.

Look at the thread on people making money during the real estate boom, people were flat out jealous because people were smart enough to sell while in the boom and those who were not smart enough or got to greedy blame the state, the people and everyone else except for their own greedy self for their mistakes. Same ole, same ole.

If you are successful and make decent money people will always find a way to cut you down or hide the real issue that many are flat out jealous.

By the way Vero, your town is beautiful, been through it many times over the years. We stayed on 95 close to Vero last time on our way to the keys. Also have been to several LA Dodger spring training games years ago!

I recently sold some car alarms to a man from Vero Beach who said he wanted to put them on his golf carts!!

Thought that was cool, he said the kids love to play with his golf carts when they are parked in his driveway and he wanted to do something about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida