Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2006, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info on North Port, Fl? I am looking to see what the personality of the city is like. Easy going? Laid back like a retirement community? Low crime rate? Fast exciting city? What should I look for? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD
Can anyone give me any info on North Port, Fl? I am looking to see what the personality of the city is like. Easy going? Laid back like a retirement community? Low crime rate? Fast exciting city? What should I look for? Thanks
5 years ago it was a retirement community, but the city is growing like crazy. Lots of traffic(compared to how it used to be). The roads cannot accomodate that much traffic, therefore there are talks of widening some major roads in the city, as well as plans have been made to widen some.
Fast exciting city? It depends what you mean by that. I personally like it, but it depends what are you looking for.

Just had a huge real estate boom(still going on), a lot of people got reach off that, wait until they are all going to try to sell it at the same time ...

If you have any questions, ask.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 40,063 times
The previous post is right. I live just (barely) south of there in Port Charlotte.
North Port has grown tremendously in the past few years. They are just completing a new Super Wal-Mart and Home Depot store on 41.( The main road through town).
I am sure the crime rate is pretty low. I would not call North Port a big city, but it is just south of Sarasota where you would find a lot of amenities that a larger city would offer.
I believe the population in North Port would be similar to Port Charlotte in that there is a very high percentage of retirees, especially in the winter. I have heard that more young professionals are being drawn to the area though.
Personally, I am ready to move from Port Charlotte to a more rural area as I am finding it harder each year to cope with the influx of "snowbirds" in our area each winter. Not that I have anything against them ( I am originally from Ohio) it's just that the roads are getting so crowded and it seems that no matter where you go to eat, you have a wait of at least a half hour to be seated.
Anyway, good luck with your decision. Any more specific questions I would be happy to try to answer.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
I too am from the Punta Gorda area. North Port is nice, you do have to be careful as to where you buy. There have been alot of brush fires in that area due to alot of lots with pine trees on them. It is a booming area and the homes are really nice too.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Wink Don't do it!

North Port is far from exiting or laid back either. Too many people too fast = a mess!! Overcrowded schools, not enough areas for kids to play. Just now got a Wal Mart. No jobs to speak of unless you want to work at Wal mart type jobs. Not by the beach, nothing really of any interest there. Most folks travel to Sarasota for work, that is a minimum 30-45 minute drive, and not a pleasant drive in the country either. There are only a few roads to travel anywhere which makes any drive worse.This weeks paper had an article about how neighbors are strangers, no neighborhoods or community involvement. Lots of folks moved there the past 2 years because prices are lower there. Let me just say you get what you pay for. With all that said, it is no longer a rural area, lest you think all the above equates to living the country life. There is a constant battle for water between North Port and Sarasota and Port Charlotte because the fast growth went ahead of infrastructure. Bad roads (potholes) getting worse w/more traffic, etc. Yes the housing is cheaper, but at what price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida