Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:48 PM

155 posts, read 1,053,107 times

Advertisements

What sectors seem to be thriving for the job market in FLorida?

Healthcare? Retail? Pest Control?

If possible please advise on your location and what you do for a living.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 04:55 PM

142 posts, read 578,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
What sectors seem to be thriving for the job market in FLorida?

Healthcare? Retail? Pest Control?

If possible please advise on your location and what you do for a living.
Thanks

There are alot of opportunities in Fla. I don't know why there are so many whiners about that. There are so many sucky businesses, if you open your own and have a good work ethic, you will have to beat customers off with a stick.

Pest control is a good one. But licencing is the problem. You've got alot of hurdles as pest control is strict to start your own. But working for others in that field is wide open. There is around 3% unemployment in the area I live in. That was always a great number where I come from. NEPA..

There is almost no work ethic down here.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Lightbulb Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
There are alot of opportunities in Fla. I don't know why there are so many whiners about that. There are so many sucky businesses, if you open your own and have a good work ethic, you will have to beat customers off with a stick.

Pest control is a good one. But licencing is the problem. You've got alot of hurdles as pest control is strict to start your own. But working for others in that field is wide open. There is around 3% unemployment in the area I live in. That was always a great number where I come from. NEPA..

There is almost no work ethic down here.
lol- sucky businesses- Cant put it any better than that.

Your own business is probably a better idea than working for any sole proprietors down there. Especially S Florida. Attorneys in S Florida moved there to get cheap labor and hire the lowest common denominator. Turnover rate is like 400%.

sunny

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
I always see lots of ads for nurses or others in healthcare -- hospitals, nursing homes, drs. offices, clinics, etc. Check out the Orlando Sentinel Classifieds for an idea of jobs in the Central FL area.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 AM

88 posts, read 264,872 times
Orlando jobs? Where? If you're a man with a trade it could be good. The paper is full of jobs on Sunday but good luck actually landing one. Slave trade is what it is going on here. Fair treatment, good luck finding that.
This about sums up the attitude here...FEMA jobs after the hurricane were being offered...you must work 7 days a week for 12 hour shifts. These are what are considered good jobs? $12.00 an hour with overtime being offered meanwhile you kill yourself?
Then I went for the post office...I'm a hard worker and I'm not on here to just complain. I'm a very upbeat person BUT I feel people need to know how it REALLY is in Orlando, Florida, maybe it's like this all over. It's disgusting.
Most of the people in the post office are damaged goods due to that job. It's so physical. Employees have had numerous back surgeries, knee surgery, carpal tunnel...incredible and this is OUR GOVERNMENT???? Good pay but you've got to sacrifice your life for it.
Then the temp agencies lie to you and give you the crappiest jobs. But they only give you half the truth before you get on the job. Then blame it on you when you up and leave. Heaven forbid you open your mouth and share your feelings. Your'e supposed to be so grateful that you live in the sunshine state...this place is a nightmare.
I can't even get a job to get out. And I've got alot going for me...I'm not your average person...the legal community here has beaten me up from the beginning. Extremely rough treatment from the legal temp agencies who pretty much told me my paralegal degree was worthless...all I need to do is type fast. Something has got to give.
All of our jobs being outsourced. Does anyone know of any decent jobs in Orlando? I need one starting immediately. moonbeam

Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 AM

672 posts, read 906,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Orlando jobs? Where? If you're a man with a trade it could be good. The paper is full of jobs on Sunday but good luck actually landing one. Slave trade is what it is going on here. Fair treatment, good luck finding that.
This about sums up the attitude here...FEMA jobs after the hurricane were being offered...you must work 7 days a week for 12 hour shifts. These are what are considered good jobs? $12.00 an hour with overtime being offered meanwhile you kill yourself?
Then I went for the post office...I'm a hard worker and I'm not on here to just complain. I'm a very upbeat person BUT I feel people need to know how it REALLY is in Orlando, Florida, maybe it's like this all over. It's disgusting.
Most of the people in the post office are damaged goods due to that job. It's so physical. Employees have had numerous back surgeries, knee surgery, carpal tunnel...incredible and this is OUR GOVERNMENT???? Good pay but you've got to sacrifice your life for it.
Then the temp agencies lie to you and give you the crappiest jobs. But they only give you half the truth before you get on the job. Then blame it on you when you up and leave. Heaven forbid you open your mouth and share your feelings. Your'e supposed to be so grateful that you live in the sunshine state...this place is a nightmare.
I can't even get a job to get out. And I've got alot going for me...I'm not your average person...the legal community here has beaten me up from the beginning. Extremely rough treatment from the legal temp agencies who pretty much told me my paralegal degree was worthless...all I need to do is type fast. Something has got to give.
All of our jobs being outsourced. Does anyone know of any decent jobs in Orlando? I need one starting immediately. moonbeam
I have a paralegal degree. Forget it. It's worthless. They hire law school students part time to do paralegal work. Or they use their SECRETARIES to do paralegal work, and pay them lower salaries. I did not kill myself to get a 3.9 GPA in college to become a secretary. Been there, done that. I never even bothered trying to get a job in that field. However, what I did find is that if you have a degree, ANY degree, you can parlay that into something else. Many, many employers will hire you just because you HAVE a degree.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I don't know Hockeymom..... as an upcoming law graduate, I was job searching a while back only to find that experienced paralegals were being paid more than entry-level attorneys in some places!!

Another thing I found is that I probably would never get offered a job in Miami, with their "bilingual preferred" qualifiers all the time!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:11 AM

672 posts, read 906,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't know Hockeymom..... as an upcoming law graduate, I was job searching a while back only to find that experienced paralegals were being paid more than entry-level attorneys in some places!!

Another thing I found is that I probably would never get offered a job in Miami, with their "bilingual preferred" qualifiers all the time!
I was talking about NY. Sorry, I did not mention that. I have seen jobs posted for Paralegals in Manhattan where, yes, they pay a lot, but they advertise they want a MASTERS Degree. Why would you want to do that? You would be better off going to Law School instead and becoming an Attorney.

Yes, I have seen those ads in Florida for "Spanish bilingual preferred". That does worry me. But in the NYC ads, I have seen many ads which say "Cantonese, Korean (etc.) speakers preferred". Is THAT better? I took Spanish in school and could always brush up on it. But Korean??????

Old 04-21-2007, 08:27 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Here are a few leads to help answer your questions. The State information web page is simply called myflorida.com. It contains an amazing amount of information.

http://myflorida.com/

I started a state labor information search, but it's starting to look time consuming. So for those of you who really want to know, here's where I left off.

http://www.labormarketinfo.com/

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Red face Jobs in Florida

Soon to be retiring as a teacher from Pennsylvania, I truly appreciate the opportunities that I have been afforded the past 30 years. I have made a living wage with excellent benefits, a superb retirement plan, and opportunities to progress through the profession. There will be 1000's nationwide hoping for the chance to take my place. Who wouldn't? I was very fortunate not to have made the "boneheaded" move to relocate to the sunshine state years ago... sometimes sunshine and beaches can get in the way of common sense. Had I moved to Florida, I could not begin to think of retiring at age 55.

Teachers in Florida (as well as any individual in the public service), are markedly underpaid for the cost of Florida living. What is the incentive for being the best teacher, firefighter, policeman, paramedic, etc. when you cannot afford a decent home in a decent area? Many of the recommendations on this board seem to suggest opening one's own small business (and make a killing). The Walmarts and Home Depots of the world crush those opportunities when they recognize the profitability of your niche and become your neighbor.

Sad to say, but opportunities for middle class Florida may never grow until a system is devised to equitably spread the wealth or through unions. If not, your underpaid police will be deployed (in areas like Palm Beach, for example) to help protect the fortresses of your gated communities from the large masses of poor and desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida