Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Why do so many people have the notion that it's okay to invade Florida en masse, then try to force northern/liberal/secular ideals on us? If you want to come to Florida, fine. But come to Florida for what it is, not so that you can turn it into a hotter version of the place you left.
I know plenty of natives who are both liberal and secular.
I do think change is inevitable. Florida certainly has had alterations and transformations in its past. Ask the Timucuan Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 AM

141 posts, read 752,396 times
Yes, let's ask the Timucuan Indians how well change worked out for them. I suspect they'd have a rather dim view of it.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM

162 posts, read 658,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Yes, let's ask the Timucuan Indians how well change worked out for them. I suspect they'd have a rather dim view of it.
I'll bet... and now you're complaining because you feel the same is happening to you. Looks like those northern liberals are giving you "natives" the same courtesy given to previous *true* natives.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
^ Just for clarity's sake, the Timucuan were mostly wiped out by the spread of Old World diseases. They were an extinct tribe well over 100 years before the Spanish starting giving land grants to American settlers.

I know that's not directly on point to the conversation, however, I think it's useful for people to know the actual history before reading too much into generalizations about cultural shifts.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,605 times
WOW-Why don't you get your facts correct BEFORE you speak. I AM A FLORIDA NATIVE!

I was born in raised in Miami-I moved to Live Oak and attended Middle and 2 yrs. of high school there. Do you know where Live Oak is?? It's in Suwannee county, right on the Suwannee river-closer to Tallahassee, about 2 hrs. away from there and Jacksonville. Infact-Live Oak is so far freakin' north that it only takes a little over an hour to get to Georgia. I lived in the keys for years and now I live in Tampa. I only moved out of the state of Florida ONCE-and it was for 6 mons. while I was in Tucson, AZ.

I AM NOT from NY-I never said I was and never said things are like this that and the other in NY. My status says take me to East Village, NYC-so freakin' sue me if that's what I put as my status.

You are speaking of things you know nothing of. Do not assume that because I made a statement that I am a transplant-a "Northener" or whatever else you want to call it. I am a TRUE BLUE FLORIDIAN-and there are not as many of us around as there should be.

I have been up and down this state, living wise, visiting, and have friends from Jax to the keys. This was my OPINION-my bad for having an opinion, for speaking my mind in response to a question on a message board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I told "Quintana" the same thing. If he/she wants NYC, and doesnt like the "rednecks" and "it gets worse as you head further north" than they can head back up to NYC.

You have to understand how tired these comments get to native Floridians. And the same people are usually the ones doing it, so I get tired of it. "This is how we do it in NY" and "the pizza is better in NY" and "everthing here is slow, us NY'ers wouldnt put up with that" blah blah blah...

So my question was, since I found your comment about hicks, rednecks and bible thumpers pretty rude, where you from? I'm just curious. Didnt mean to sound like I was scolding, but you could see why someone might not appreciate this comment.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Well at least someone here agrees with me instead of accusing me of being from another state when they know NOTHING about me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
This poster is 100% correct. Go to South Florida, much better.... UM is a great university, and if I had kids, which I dont, nor do I want, I'd send them to UM in a heart beat. The diversity your kid will learn in Miami cannot compare to G'ville or Tally. I'm a life-long resident of G'ville and I'll tell ya straight up it is rednecks, liberals, tree huggers, religious freaks and kids, as in college kids. If you're 30+ start medicating, at 40, jump off a bridge. I'm selling all my stuff finally after 43 years of living there.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Hello Sir -
I'm 100% native Floridian. Born/reared in Gainesville. I've lived all over Florida and outside, to other states and outside USA. When you say 'us' who are you referring?

Bro, we are all immigrants here... the USA was founded from poor, low class people from mostly Europe wanting a better life. About Florida: Indians and Spanish were the original owners here.... Also, change is inevitable so get used to it. Cities in Florida that never change and develop suffer like my home town Gainesville. Few jobs, rednecks, small town mentality, mom and pop lazy business, etc. South Florida is #1, Tampa #2. Or leave for California... My advice? Get the most out of your life, and living in a place that is against what you want can and will hold you back and your dreams of full-filling the life you want will never happen.

My 0.02
S FL is number 1 and Tampa is number 2 for what? Crime? Transients? Rudeness? What are we talking about?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
WOW-Why don't you get your facts correct BEFORE you speak. I AM A FLORIDA NATIVE!

I was born in raised in Miami-I moved to Live Oak and attended Middle and 2 yrs. of high school there. Do you know where Live Oak is?? It's in Suwannee county, right on the Suwannee river-closer to Tallahassee, about 2 hrs. away from there and Jacksonville. Infact-Live Oak is so far freakin' north that it only takes a little over an hour to get to Georgia. I lived in the keys for years and now I live in Tampa. I only moved out of the state of Florida ONCE-and it was for 6 mons. while I was in Tucson, AZ.

I AM NOT from NY-I never said I was and never said things are like this that and the other in NY. My status says take me to East Village, NYC-so freakin' sue me if that's what I put as my status.

You are speaking of things you know nothing of. Do not assume that because I made a statement that I am a transplant-a "Northener" or whatever else you want to call it. I am a TRUE BLUE FLORIDIAN-and there are not as many of us around as there should be.

I have been up and down this state, living wise, visiting, and have friends from Jax to the keys. This was my OPINION-my bad for having an opinion, for speaking my mind in response to a question on a message board...
My post wasnt aimed at you, nor do I know where you are from Quintana. My post was in response to another post where someone (Siesta Bay) said to "scold the others who are making fun of rednecks"... So really, the post above that I wrote (that you quoted above) wasnt really to you/about you in any way. So the "this is how we did it in NY" stuff wasnt directed toward you at all. I dont even know where you are from or anything, so I apologize if it seemed like I was saying those things to you. It was in response to Siesta Bay's comments about "hick heaven, rednecks, etc..." and I was asking her where she was from (I'm still curious), and letting her know how tired those comments get to natives. Sometimes I forget who wrote what after all the responses and quotes, etc...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM

And I apologize for going off on a rant. I use the term rednecks yes, but never bible thumpers or whatever else was mentioned. I agree that was a little out of contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
My post wasnt aimed at you, nor do I know where you are from Quintana. My post was in response to another post where someone (Siesta Bay) said to "scold the others who are making fun of rednecks"... So really, the post above that I wrote (that you quoted above) wasnt really to you/about you in any way. So the "this is how we did it in NY" stuff wasnt directed toward you at all. I dont even know where you are from or anything, so I apologize if it seemed like I was saying those things to you. It was in response to Siesta Bay's comments about "hick heaven, rednecks, etc..." and I was asking her where she was from (I'm still curious), and letting her know how tired those comments get to natives. Sometimes I forget who wrote what after all the responses and quotes, etc...

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Yes, SiestaBay said something like "hick heaven, redneck bible thumpers - stay away" or something to that affect. I cant remember exactly, but it was pretty rude and a BIG reason why natives get tired of the newer residents so quickly sometimes. Because of that rude comment, I asked here where she was from, because those kinds of comments typically come from people who are from certain areas of the northeast I have noticed.

Congrats in your engagement btw. I got married in May as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida