Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 AM

49 posts, read 200,396 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23-yo male and I plan on continuing my education somewhere in Florida, most likely in the north like Jacksonville, Gainesville, or Tallahassee. The thing is, being raised and having gone to college in various Mid-Atlantic states, currently I'm wary of moving to the South.

I know Florida, especially South Florida, is different, but I have a college friend in Florida who says the northern part of the state is still very much the "Deep South" like Mississippi and Alabama. It's fine for some people, but I wouldn't fit in very well as I'm not really religious and I'm far from the "good-ol'-boy" archetype.

I'm also concerned about dating. I know I'm working off of stereotypes here (nothing else to go on), but I hear lots of girls in the South tend to want to get married young, which is not even on my radar at this point!

Is this all the case even in larger towns with 100,000+ residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
I wouldn't fit in very well as I'm not really religious and I'm far from the "good-ol'-boy" archetype.
Same with us, and our kids.
Quote:
I'm also concerned about dating. I know I'm working off of stereotypes here (nothing else to go on), but I hear lots of girls in the South tend to want to get married young, which is not even on my radar at this point!
I have met a lot of women who are younger than I am (I'm mid-50's) and already grandmas. And sometimes the line separating church and state seems a bit blurry.
However, this is not to say that north Florida is seething with toothless rednecks who are married off at 14.
And not all southern traditions should be considered backward: I very much appreciate the Yes Sir/No Ma'am courtesies, as well as other customs.

Our younger son (born and raised in Denver,Colorado) is at Florida State and has done okay with dating, actually the girls there, from what I have seen, are motivated students who also enjoy a bit of partying and are in no hurry to get hitched.

Where I live, just below Georgia, it appears to me that the good ole boy network might be in for a shakeup, and more progressive attitudes may prevail in the coming years.
Frankly, I welcome this, yet hope that not all regional culture will be lost, merely updated as we continue in the 21st century.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 AM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
Overall, pretty southern. The panhandle even moreso.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
As long as you are a bigger city or a place with a college the area won't be anything like Alabama. You'd have to go to the panhandle and more rural parts to find somewhat "southern" areas.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
I will agree with most of the posters.We live in north central FL,which is a melting pot.For the most part you have to belong to there church or family.They will be courteous and say hello,about all.You will never be invited into there circle.They carry there bible but don't follow the teaching's.The friends we met were from other areas.For the most part the redneck's live very rural.We have lived here 20 years with no problems.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:12 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,032 times
Quote:
You'd have to go to the panhandle and more rural parts to find somewhat "southern" areas.
Respectfully, there's no "somewhat" to it. I've seen people in rural northern Florida who are more stereotypically "redneck" than anything I've ever seen in Alabama.

That said, like every part of the country, it's usually an economic class thing. Stick to people of your own economic class and education level, and you should have no trouble anywhere finding plenty of people with common ground.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister85 View Post
I'm a 23-yo male and I plan on continuing my education somewhere in Florida, most likely in the north like Jacksonville, Gainesville, or Tallahassee. The thing is, being raised and having gone to college in various Mid-Atlantic states, currently I'm wary of moving to the South.

I know Florida, especially South Florida, is different, but I have a college friend in Florida who says the northern part of the state is still very much the "Deep South" like Mississippi and Alabama. It's fine for some people, but I wouldn't fit in very well as I'm not really religious and I'm far from the "good-ol'-boy" archetype.

Is this all the case even in larger towns with 100,000+ residents?

Im in the Panhandle and enjoy the Christian Culture quite abit ; compared to the North people here are much more lawful, considerate of their fellow human being, have higher values and ethics, more layed back, easier to make friends, respectful, less hedonistic, and simply love God & others (for the most part on all of these). I find the Panhandle a slice of heaven . Giving God a chance with your life isnt 'being religious' .... the personal Creator of the Cosmos is what we are ultimately here for and is meant to be the ultimate fulfillment of what people are really looking for , although many dont realize it ; I remember in my youth that I was rebellious and just wanted to go for the gusto in life anyway i could...but I came to see how superficial that was and how personally destructive it is by following an out of control culture which leads to many perils . Had i to do life all over again Id start by not living for Self, but rather, for God ...which means others as well. If you want to look upon this as a Sermonette, thats fine ; but Id sure like to see you on the right path before too long. Take care, and if you make it to Florida...let us know. Regards.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,836 times
It's pretty much redneck!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Im in the Panhandle and enjoy the Christian Culture quite abit ; compared to the North people here are much more lawful, considerate of their fellow human being, have higher values and ethics, more layed back, easier to make friends, respectful, less hedonistic, and simply love God & others (for the most part on all of these). I find the Panhandle a slice of heaven . Giving God a chance with your life isnt 'being religious' .... the personal Creator of the Cosmos is what we are ultimately here for and is meant to be the ultimate fulfillment of what people are really looking for , although many dont realize it ; I remember in my youth that I was rebellious and just wanted to go for the gusto in life anyway i could...but I came to see how superficial that was and how personally destructive it is by following an out of control culture which leads to many perils . Had i to do life all over again Id start by not living for Self, but rather, for God ...which means others as well. If you want to look upon this as a Sermonette, thats fine ; but Id sure like to see you on the right path before too long. Take care, and if you make it to Florida...let us know. Regards.
Amen to that.

That's my problem with much of Central FL (mainly Orlando) and S FL. It's not the "laid-back, friendly, care for one another and give the shirt off your back" place that I experienced in rural FL and other places throughout the southeast.

I find too many areas in FL, it's "all about me" and I cant stand that attitude and it has spread throughout much of FL.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I grew up in Gainesville and spent most of my adult life in Jacksonville, I think your fears are unfounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida