Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,860 times

Advertisements

Sunrico, locally, I am more concerned about the drug dealer/mugger down the street wanting to rob me outside my office building than a shark at the beach.

At least I can stay off the water in the beach, but I have to go into my office building and getting robbed is no fun. My co-workers are discussing all getting CWPs and everyone going armed, so we can help protect each other from the muggers/thugs downstairs. Such is working in 'paradise'!

But I feel bad for the kid bitten. That would suck.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail/PrintFriendly?contentId=2820123&version=1&locale=E N-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1&siteParams=1008&pr int=true&detailAction=/News/Detail&portletLogoDisplayed=1 (broken link)

Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine State View Post
Karla, those are lovely shots underwater!...v. nice photos, have you seen this tho?...its a video clip of a woman who was attacked by a great white, also a surfer who was attacked by two of them ... he seemed to have only sustained a hand injury, the female however lost her leg, this happened in Chile w/the female, Ive seen her speak on National Geographic show and it was quite horrific .... my question is tho, as I have heard that Great White sharks often "growl" when they attack, make a very "throaty" kind of sound, do you happen to know if this may be true or not?...

heres the video clip, there are many more on You Tube under "shark attacks"
(some may find this disturbing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCBG2LZnyaI
I think great whites are in a class by themselves. lol I think I shall not want to find out if they growl by personal experience.
I had a close encounter with a 7' moray eel he was about 1' away lol he went one way I went another.
From what I have read it is the splashing and paddling that gives the impression that your "food"
I think it is sad when somone gets attacked,but if you consider how many people are surfing or swimming compared with the number of bites
It is a low ratio.
karla

Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Did anyone see the youtube video of the scuba diver who lost his thumb to the moray eel?

they used his toe to give him a new thumb

Old 04-02-2007, 03:01 PM

90 posts, read 368,574 times
Wow I am new to this forum and I definately did NOT expect to see these videos...very cool. Although I did feel like they were harassing that moray.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Sunrico, locally, I am more concerned about the drug dealer/mugger down the street wanting to rob me outside my office building than a shark at the beach.

At least I can stay off the water in the beach, but I have to go into my office building and getting robbed is no fun. My co-workers are discussing all getting CWPs and everyone going armed, so we can help protect each other from the muggers/thugs downstairs. Such is working in 'paradise'!

But I feel bad for the kid bitten. That would suck.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail/PrintFriendly?contentId=2820123&version=1&locale=E N-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1&siteParams=1008&pr int=true&detailAction=/News/Detail&portletLogoDisplayed=1 (broken link)
Nirvana-Guy,
Agree we all shall be more concerned with crime than sharks. Normaly no one is worry about sharks until some one gets hurt. Most of the counties have lifeguards and in some areas they use helicopters to monitor the normal migrations of sharks. Information for the beach going folks is important and if we want to prevent situations like this one. I believe that a flag (Marine Pest Present) was also added so the everyone can be aware of this type of danger.

Beach Flag Warning System

This system is in place for your water safety. Please observe and obey this Flag System.
Rip currents can be unpredictable, dangerous and deadly. Please use good judgment and obey the lifeguards and flag warning system while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.destin-ation.com/images/southwaltonss.jpg

Old 04-02-2007, 04:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblueyes View Post
Wow I am new to this forum and I definately did NOT expect to see these videos...very cool. Although I did feel like they were harassing that moray.
Definitely they were teasing it; that guy was asking for trouble.
The thing is, we share the ocean with many, many creatures, and accidents do happen.
No lifeguards in Gulf County, no flags, either--you're on your own here.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:35 PM

40 posts, read 341,685 times
wow, Karla, thats unreal, 7' moray eel....ohhhh my heart, when I see them and sharks in James Bond movies I cringe, keep up the adventures, theyre fascinating!!!....and thanks for sharing that about the flags, Sunrico, those are very important as well....

Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,169,529 times
2 shark attacks this past weekend:

West Palm Beach, a 9-year-old boy and a 30-year-old surfer were apparently bitten by sharks

The boy was bitten on his right buttock, surfer on Normandy Beach was bitten on his right ankle.

Last year, Florida maintained its status as the world's shark attack capital with 23 recorded attacks, according to a University of Florida study. None of them were fatal.

We are the Shark Attack Capital, another honor that we don't need....

Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
What a lot of people don't realize is moray ells like to "hide' in the same hole as lobsters so when people think "cool I am going to just reach in and have dinner"
uh oh
sunshine I wish i had more of my dive pictures on my computer the 7' moray was the most beautiful green. I have also seen spotted ones.
ahhh I love the life uner the sea
karla

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM

40 posts, read 341,685 times
Hi, Karla, Ill be yur really a Mermaid... ... Im a Scorpio, water sign, very intrigued with The Deep also, I like to get scared by shark stories too, lol... but saw one in a river once and nearly died, ....

I thought you might enjoy this article if it opens, remember that movie The Deep with Jacqueline Bisset and Nick Nolte?... well, it seems that during filming she ran into almost the same kind of encounter youre describing about the moray eels, have fun in the deep, but please be careful, dear....

http://www.diveglobal.com/explore_de...ishislands.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida