Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 31,241 times

Advertisements

Okay...let me try this again. I'm coming from LA where I've lived for 12 years. I chose to move to Florida instead of moving back to Long Island, NY. I lived in NY up until 4th grade and moved back for high school. I was in Boca for two years of elementary and middle school. I chose to move back to Florida now because I'm married with a child and am looking for a laid back family way of life and NY is way too expensive. Which would you rate better in these areas between Boca and Weston.

1. Schools
2. Safety
3. Nice Neighborhoods
4. Good Vibe
5. Place to raise a kid
6 Family Environment

Thanks and hope to get more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Torn View Post
Okay...let me try this again. I'm coming from LA where I've lived for 12 years. I chose to move to Florida instead of moving back to Long Island, NY. I lived in NY up until 4th grade and moved back for high school. I was in Boca for two years of elementary and middle school. I chose to move back to Florida now because I'm married with a child and am looking for a laid back family way of life and NY is way too expensive. Which would you rate better in these areas between Boca and Weston.

1. Schools
2. Safety
3. Nice Neighborhoods
4. Good Vibe
5. Place to raise a kid
6 Family Environment

Thanks and hope to get more help.
You've left out the most important variable of all.... your specialty in the workforce that will afford you the salary to support your family in your chosen city. None of the 6 criteria that you've listed will mean anything until your financial stability is addressed first.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 PM

10 posts, read 31,241 times
The company my wife and I will be working for has offices close to both of those areas. Financially we'll be okay in either place.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Weston is an 80's excuse to make a big profit from worthless swampland. Great if you like monolithic developments locked in their birth eras by endless rules. Try neighboring southwest ranches for a much better experience.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
If you have the money, SW Ranches acutally sounds like a good idea. Weston schools without the rules. If you like land, a very unique living experience overall. If I had a family, that would easily be my top choice in S FL if I could afford it. If not, I think Weston is more "family friendly" than Boca and has literally half the crime rate, but it's very far inland and has a "cookie cutter" feel that might ruin the vibe compared to east Boca. Then again, that Boca vibe doesn't always seem conducive to raising kids, despite it seeming perfect on paper. When compared to west Boca though, I think Weston has a much better feel in all ways. West Boca is very congested, kind of like Pembroke Pines, although Pines might actually be nicer in some ways. You may also want to consider Parkland, which is right below west Boca.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 05-03-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Completely Torn View Post
The company my wife and I will be working for has offices close to both of those areas. Financially we'll be okay in either place.
You will find that many poster's do not think anyone has enough money to live anywhere in Florida all the while you can live cheaper in Florida then you can in most places.

Smart choice choosing Fla over NY for your stated reasons.

Congrats on your jobs also.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
We are choosing Boca over Weston at this point, but that can change...We love the feel of West boca, also good schools and close to everything..We have friends in Weston and for us Boca might be a better fit..

Good Luck, pls let us know which place you decided to reside in..

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
I would say you shouldn't move blind. If you come here to visit with the goal of living the lifestyle for a week or so each place's positives and negatives should be pretty well defined. Then you can take Tall Rick's and Compelled excellent experienced advise and visit places you didn't even know about.

Locate the schools where your kids would go, visit them, do the commute and routines, talk to people living there etc. Ignore the beaches and palm trees while you're at it.

If you move in summer it would be lucky and you can get a short term rental ANYWHERE allowing for you to make a more permanent decision by the time school starts.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I would say you shouldn't move blind. If you come here to visit with the goal of living the lifestyle for a week or so each place's positives and negatives should be pretty well defined. Then you can take Tall Rick's and Compelled excellent experienced advise and visit places you didn't even know about.

Locate the schools where your kids would go, visit them, do the commute and routines, talk to people living there etc. Ignore the beaches and palm trees while you're at it.

If you move in summer it would be lucky and you can get a short term rental ANYWHERE allowing for you to make a more permanent decision by the time school starts.
+1 Run..Great Advice, sometimes its a bit difficult with a Relo, there isnt enough time..lol..we have decided to rent for the exact reason you mentioned...and we are hoping to get there end of May....we will see...I did speak to the schools, very nice people and helpful...didnt get a chance to talk to people in the developments, so hopefully we will be able to do that if we get down there...

Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: