Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM

47 posts, read 304,482 times

Advertisements

I really dont like to use the word "alternative" as it can connote so many things to some people and turn them off, so let me explain and see if anyone here is interested in what Im talking about.

I live in Sw FL, used to live in Miami, and am trying to find info on any areas in S FL or Tampa that may be classified as real communities, kind of like what you would find in parts of California or Portland OR....places with a nice tight knit feel, a more "hippy-ish" or "alternative" vibe going on.... places where people are into natural health or similar things, less stressful and more laid back. I would move to Cali if I could, but am wondering if such an area/neighborhood/community exists in FL? I have heard of actual places where there are intentional communities of this sort - now I am not seeking anything extremist here, but if anyone gets the idea and has info that would be great. I have done some google searches using those key words and dont come up with any relevant results. I may not be searching well either.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 AM

207 posts, read 926,099 times
This site maybe helpful:

Simple Living Institute, Inc. - News

Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,066 times
There are alternative communities all over Florida and the US but unless someone is selling something you won't hear about them because most want to keep a low profile.

There are organic, nudist, gay, religious, off-the-grid, communes and you-name-it. Every now and then there will be an article in the paper but most of them are word-of-mouth only so they don't get unwanted outsiders crashing them.

Try looking in areas that are less conservative, like Gainesville and Sarasota. Go to some events, talk to people.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 PM

47 posts, read 304,482 times
thanks for the link, krock67! very interesting organization, very much what I was looking for.

imagardner, it does appear that these types of communities, those at least that arent 501c's, would be off the maps because as you say, they dont need a bunch of people ruining what theyve created. I will continue to seek these out, particularly with the increasing interest in organic farming, living, health and so on, maybe I will run into more! thanks very much.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbucket View Post
thanks for the link, krock67! very interesting organization, very much what I was looking for.

imagardner, it does appear that these types of communities, those at least that arent 501c's, would be off the maps because as you say, they dont need a bunch of people ruining what theyve created. I will continue to seek these out, particularly with the increasing interest in organic farming, living, health and so on, maybe I will run into more! thanks very much.
If you like organic farming, that is becoming really BIG in this area (Sarasota/Manatee). Just last week there was an article about how young people are being recruited to learn how to do this to fulfill the area demands for local and organic food.

Here is a website you might enjoy, maybe it will help you research more into what you want:

Natural Capitalism - Sarasota | Making our communities sustainable

This area has all types of "alternative" living, but as the poster above mentioned, you kind of have to seek them out. We have many artists/students/hippies here living alongside the uber wealthy. Not to mention our own Amish/Mennonite village, and those folks live as simple as it gets.

Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for!

Here is another website you might like ("Natural Awakenings")

http://www.nasrq.com/dotnetnuke/ (broken link)

Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 PM

14 posts, read 60,411 times
Default Looking to relocate to Sarasota, Florida

HI!
We are looking to relocate to Sarasota, but are interested in an organic, more natural, less of a carbon footprint lifestyle with like minded folks. I have worked in organics, cooked in a vegetarian restaurant and currently work in an apiary. My fiancee has had his own roofing business for the past 25 years.

Is there like a place online where we could check for jobs/housing (looking to purchase a condo) that refer to the lifestyle I mentioned.
Thank you SO much!

C & S

Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 PM

30 posts, read 59,142 times
any luck, I would like to find what you are looking for also.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I have no idea why Key West never entered the conversation, but it clearly best describes what the OP and last poster are seeking in Florida.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,044 times
Hi guys,
I am in south florida and am also looking to relocate to a more alternative, holistic, open minded community here in Florida.
The ideal place would be just like what was mentioned above.
Would love to hear from you guys.
Peace & Many blessings!!!

Old 10-24-2015, 12:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
If you ask me, mainstream society is about as extremist as one could get. Anything that might be an alternative to that is worth considering.

I don't think Key West would be a good candidate. Maybe 20-30 years ago. Same w/ Sarasota. Your best bet is to find a niche community that you can fit into, or start researching intentional communities. My suggestion is to do some soul searching, combined with Zen meditation to get some insights into yourself. That's where it all starts. Until we know who we are, we don't know where we're supposed to be. When we know that, we know what we need, and the universe will present it. But we have to be aware to see it when it arrives, hence the insight meditation suggestion.

Last edited by smarino; 10-24-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida