Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,506 times

Advertisements

Global warmin?

Aint so accordin to this feller:

StormX :: Weather Risk : Solar Activity Lowest in Almost 100 Years, Implications for Climate Potentially Significant (http://www.stormx.com/agriculture/weather-risk/2009/04/solar-activity-lowest-in-almost-100-years-implications-for-climate-potentially-significant/ - broken link)

He says that the sun aint makin spots no more an that means cold weather like it wuz in the Dalton Minimun and in the Maunder Minimun:

Quote:
Occasionally, the sun undergoes periods lasting several decades when sunspots are less frequent or may not occur at all. The last significant period of decreased sunspot activity occurred from 1795 to 1830, known as the Dalton Minimum. During this period global temperatures decreased and after significant volcanic eruptions in 1816, temperatures plummeted across the Northern Hemisphere. 1816 became known as the “year without a summer”. A severe frost in May 1816 destroyed most of the planted crops in North America, and in June two major snowstorms impacted New England and eastern Canada. Ice remained on lakes and rivers as far south as Pennsylvania through July and August.

The Dalton Minimum had a significant impact on global climate, but was a mild event relative to the Maunder Minimum, a period lasting from 1645-1715 when sunspots were 1/1000th of normal. The Maunder Minimum is thought to be the primary cause of the Little Ice Age, a period when glaciers advanced and bitterly cold winters occurred in many regions of the Northern Hemisphere. In 1780, the New York Harbor froze allowing people to walk from Manhattan to State Island.
So in the future we wont have roadside shops selling orange juice to the tourists but vendors sellin long johns to the refugees commin down I-75 in their dog sleds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,506 times
Dang!

It aint global warmin no more:

Quote:
Seeking to Save the Planet, With a Thesaurus

Published: May 1, 2009
WASHINGTON — The problem with global warming, some environmentalists believe, is “global warming.”

The term turns people off, fostering images of shaggy-haired liberals, economic sacrifice and complex scientific disputes, according to extensive polling and focus group sessions conducted by ecoAmerica, a nonprofit environmental marketing and messaging firm in Washington.

Instead of grim warnings about global warming, the firm advises, talk about “our deteriorating atmosphere.” Drop discussions of carbon dioxide and bring up “moving away from the dirty fuels of the past.” Don’t confuse people with cap and trade; use terms like “cap and cash back” or “pollution reduction refund.”

EcoAmerica has been conducting research for the last several years to find new ways to frame environmental issues and so build public support for climate change legislation and other initiatives. A summary of the group’s latest findings and recommendations was accidentally sent by e-mail to a number of news organizations by someone who sat in this week on a briefing intended for government officials and environmental leaders.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us...viro.html?_r=2

Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I hope it does cool off, that way Gore and his carbon credit scam can be eliminated.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Global warmin?

Aint so accordin to this feller:

StormX :: Weather Risk : Solar Activity Lowest in Almost 100 Years, Implications for Climate Potentially Significant (http://www.stormx.com/agriculture/weather-risk/2009/04/solar-activity-lowest-in-almost-100-years-implications-for-climate-potentially-significant/ - broken link)

He says that the sun aint makin spots no more an that means cold weather like it wuz in the Dalton Minimun and in the Maunder Minimun:

So in the future we wont have roadside shops selling orange juice to the tourists but vendors sellin long johns to the refugees commin down I-75 in their dog sleds.
Did you read the whole piece. Towards the end he says they have only been studying it since the mid last century, the 1950's. He also says it is all an assertion. Kind of like having a tooth ache and noticing it has been raining a lot. Conclusion "Rain causes tooth aches".

We can look at the disappearing ice and it is not a guess that if the earth has less ability to reflect the sun and absorbs the suns rays it will heat up. And it will and the more it happens the more it will happen. The more pollution in the air the less the earth can cool it's self and so on.
There's no guess in as to what is happing. There is a debate about the cause, be it natural or man made.

I believe it is a natural cycle with some contributions by man but very little. How long it will continue or to what extent, who knows. Will we have another age? Of course, when, who knows.
We know one thing for sure, none of us will ever live long enough to know any of the answers. This stuff takes place over hundreds of years or thousands. The big problem is, humans can only live within a very small temperature range, very small. Change that range 50 degrees one way or another and we are out of here. Our stay is over.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
I am 60 years old. I can remember winters in downstate NY which were a LOT more snowy than they have been in the past 20 years.

Getting colder? Maybe in the the EXTREME North, but certainly NOT where I am from. Getting days in the 60s in January in NYC, almost every year, is the climate getting COLDER? Three years ago in January I came to Naples to meet my husband. It was 60 degrees on Long Island and it was 65 degrees in Naples. I wore the SAME clothes here as there. That is getting COLDER?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am 60 years old. I can remember winters in downstate NY which were a LOT more snowy than they have been in the past 20 years.

Getting colder? Maybe in the the EXTREME North, but certainly NOT where I am from. Getting days in the 60s in January in NYC, almost every year, is the climate getting COLDER? Three years ago in January I came to Naples to meet my husband. It was 60 degrees on Long Island and it was 65 degrees in Naples. I wore the SAME clothes here as there. That is getting COLDER?
What they believe is there are cycles within cycles. These small cycles as you describe come and go. "But" as they come and go they become more extreme. Again you refer to 20 years. 20 years from now it may be colder, then 20 more years it will be warm again but a little warmer and so on as the cycle continues. There is evidence of this everywhere on the earth. We should be more concerned about pollution and poisoning ourselves or blowing ourselves up. Geological cycles are always happening and not worth worrying about. What has happened is it has become political and a possible business. In other words someone sees a buck to be made.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
If we are heading for cooler temps I like 50s and 60s F, hell then I would stay in Florida. But if continues to stay this hot in Florida in the 90s in May, I am ready to go some place cooler.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If we are heading for cooler temps I like 50s and 60s F, hell then I would stay in Florida. But if continues to stay this hot in Florida in the 90s in May, I am ready to go some place cooler.
North Florida maybe. Today it was around the mid 80's with it dropping to a nice mid 60's tonight. And you still don't have a state income tax. No need to cross the state line.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
North Florida maybe. Today it was around the mid 80's with it dropping to a nice mid 60's tonight. And you still don't have a state income tax. No need to cross the state line.
No way am I living in North Florida, a little to southern for me up there. You guys do get much nicer weather than South Florida.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
Mid-80s, low-90s not much difference to me. I like my Spring in the 60s in the DAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida