Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times

Advertisements

I call it sorting and seperating.

Two or three people who make allot of noise will not affect any decision I make, but the several hundred of personal and business friends I know living in Florida and many posters on this and other boards will.

I will take those odds and move even with the high insurance costs, because once I ran the numbers with no state income tax, I will come out only a few hundred dollars different then living here.

Make your decision based on allot of info, do not let the few discourage you.

What you will find is pockets of these type problems, heck we have those same problems if not more of them right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
And you REALLY think this is only in FL? I think YOU'RE the one with "glasses" on...(& they're the wrong prescription! )
Great !!!

You were posting while I was typing my reply, they have never been to many of those areas so they have no clue.

Govt corruption, come to Ohio baby, we were buying coins as investments with our state money !!!

And I know for a fact there are lots of other states who have it worse then us..

Old 04-12-2007, 06:45 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I keep reading that thing Nirvana wrote and it's ticking me off.

Doesn't anyone else see the crime stats? Orlando crime has been high for a long time. It doesn't appear to be a recent problem. It may be getting worse, but it has always been high, no?
It really has not. Crime in Orlando was localized in certain areas before, it was not a widespread problem as it is now.

If you had been raised in Orlando, as I have, you would know that. Before a few years ago, if you stayed out of Pine Hills, OBT, Oakridge, Americana, Semoran/Goldenrod, Paramore, and Tangelo Park, you were safe.

Nowadays, if you go to downtown Orlando, you can be robbed/killed at any minute while pumping gas. You go to MetroWest, your home gets broken into, your next door neighbor is a meth lab, there are street walkers near upper-class houses (where I grew up in St. Andrews). You head to East Orlando, you get pistol whipped while your girlfriend is getting sexually assaulted by druken aliens. You go to You can even go to Casselberry (man, I am saying CASSELBERRY - formerly known as "familyville USA") and get robbed and shot at IHOP.

I am sorry Murphy, but Orlando crime was local before, now it's like a tumor that bust wide open and everyone is feeling the blast. The entire city of Orlando is becoming crime-prone, while before crime was a ghetto-only problem. Yes, if you look at raw numbers, crime was just as high, but the only crime victims were people living in shoddy areas. Now, you can live in Isleworth and get carjacked at that traffic light not even 100 yards up the road. It sucks.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
So you mean to suggest Orlando has always been this bad?

No way. It used to be nice, man. I assure you. I had family members come down to visit and WANT to stay. Now I have relatives come visit and be ready to go back home in a few days.

Everyone tells me how downhill Orlando has gone. When people come from out of town, they bring in a different point of view and they all seemed surprised at how Orlando has deteriorated and become violent.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times
Although statistically Orlando's crime has risen I have also seen another trend happening at the same time. The whole "flipping" craze has turned some really undesirable neighborhoods around and made them much more livable and safe. I work for a homeowner's insurance company and am constantly out there taking pictures of homes for the underwritter's and have seen areas like Tangelo Park have a turn-around.

I am out there everyday working and enjoying Central Florida. I live in Kissimmee (Downtown area) and enjoy the things it has to offer as well. I am wondering if the people who are so negative are actually out there in their communities because if they are not then how can they be the experts they claim??? By watching the news? Well, there is a huge difference between seeing and actually experiencing Central Florida. Live a little away from the computer and turn off the news and you would be surprised at how great it can be.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:10 PM

598 posts, read 2,269,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Okay, what is your point?

Do you want an award for trying to prove you live in the worst city ever? Who cares? Nobody's opinion is changing. You're not gonna convince anybody one way or another. Some agree and some don't. Could we drop it? You mention either heat or crime in every single post...

murphy... what exactly is your point?

I don't understand why you insist on trying to prove people (who live here) wrong when they are just talking about their experience... (when you don't live here, right?) Are you not in PA? How can you say it's not so when you couldn't possibly know, being 1000 miles away? I don't get it.

And what is the point of all these redundent threads you keep posting? If you don't like the Florida forum, then don't read it! Or maybe your intention is simply to be a thorn... lmao

Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,862 times
bmurphy, you are 16 years old and so rude. I know you think you KNOW everything, but you do not. Why don't you get off the computer and have fun instead of making smart remarks to people trying to HELP others.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
The funny thing is that back in 2005, we went to attend the ASIS security products show, and were not able to meet with some representatives from a supplier in Taiwan. Turns out they were mugged in the parking lot of the motel. There was also a bad accident on the way to the show. Oh and the traffic.....wow!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM

121 posts, read 504,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I am going to get something straight......

Your state is a damn mess because of you and your fellow Floridians, DO NOT BLAME people like me who come and go to Florida for personal and business for your mess. I dont leave anything a darn mess, in fact, the money I spent goes into your local economy to make it grow and develop.

_______ No it is corrupt gorverment. WE have no say.

The facts are its your own states people who are lazy asses who do not give a rats ass about the state, I know more people out of the state of Florida that care for the state of Florida then you do!

_______ Once again you can't fight city hall.

Its you job and you duty as citizen of that state to do something, I understand you cannot get eveyrone together to do allot, but do not use us as you damn escape goats !

_______ Once you move here try it yourself. You will see we have no say

OUR MONEY pay the majority of wages in your state, a huge majority, the money collect on hotel taxes in a year alone is more then your state needs to fix your problems.

_______Yes toursits do that.Thank you but it all goes in pockets not projects.

You all say it yourself, low wages, no manufacturing etc is the problem, if you take the tourist money you will have more then the trouble you have, jobs will be lost in the millions.

_______And millions less people sounds good

If your state government officals are to blame, then have to guts to blame them and stop blaming us.

Sure, all the illegals running around in Florida is a huge problem, but you guys helped the problem even more by voting in this nut case group of senators and congressmen, YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET, they love open borders, freebie programs, free healtcare to illegals etc.

________Mexicans are nice polite people and they work hard. The government is pissed because they can't tax them.

At least many of those russians, brits etc are coming in legally.

________But still just more damn people.

Your states problem is NOT from the other states, it's from SOUTH and WEST of your border !!!!!

________ Beg to differ once again the Mexicans are very nice. And they don't complain.

I too am with allot of other posters, if you do not like it there, stop you darn whining and get the heck out of the state !

________ We were here first.

Stop blaming us, our money spent in your state keeps it afloat, besides, why do you think you have NO INCOME TAX, its not because they like you !

________Thank you again toursits do that.

Only the Florida citizens can fix the problems, believe me if I was there, I see those same things you, I would be finding out a way to convince voters to do something.

________You will find out soon enough that you have no say. Unless you are rich enough to bribe your way through.

Watch the new current congress at work, when they are done ruining our entire country, your state will be right up there at the top when they are done because you all play a huge role in the 08 elections. Mark it down, they will be over over your state in about 6 months from now.

_______ I would expect nothing less from the current administration.

I would love to see you in a chicken suit on the highway, at least you doing something.

_______ Yea you would probably see him get mugged.

I agree with Sunrico on this, you have to get someone prominent to group people together and fix the problem.

_______Bill Gates maybe that is about it

I think the problem is your south and west borders, not anything from the north at all.
_______Then lets lock all borders. If you were not born here you have to go.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewnative View Post
_______Then lets lock all borders. If you were not born here you have to go.
I would go for that for sure !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida