Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times

Advertisements

That is my perspective having lived in Florida before as a 20 something. I didn't like it. It was not my cup of tea. I hate the heat. I am not a sun and beach person. I wasn't then and I certainly am not now.

But in my situation, I have no choice. Do I want to stay married and live in Florida? Or do I want to divorce so I can live up North? That is my situation.

We had no choice. He was out of work up here for almost a year, almost lost our house, and he found a job in Florida. He dreamed about playing golf, not having to shovel snow, etc., etc., but he had never lived there before. I had. Has it lived up to HIS expectations? Would HE have chosen it now after living there for 3 years? I asked him. All he said was it beats 20 degrees. YOU read between the lines on that. He is going to see a former coworker who now lives just outside of Vegas. Yes, Nevada even has SNOW. The man is also a real estate agent. Again, YOU read between the lines on that. We are both in our late 50s, kids grow up, few years short of retirement. I can only say for myself that I do not wish to become a joke in my old age. As a tshirt I have seen says, "Florida Where America Goes to DIE". No, no, no. I would rather be dead than to live that.

So, I/we will just have to make the best of it. I will keep my feelings to myself to the rest of the outside world down there. I have lived long enough, and been a City person, to know how to do that. You may think I am rude, but consider this. It has nothing to do with you. It may just be my way of coping with what life has thrown at me. Some may consider this a "negative" posting. I call it REALITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
That is my perspective having lived in Florida before as a 20 something. I didn't like it. It was not my cup of tea. I hate the heat. I am not a sun and beach person. I wasn't then and I certainly am not now.

But in my situation, I have no choice. Do I want to stay married and live in Florida? Or do I want to divorce so I can live up North? That is my situation.

We had no choice. He was out of work up here for almost a year, almost lost our house, and he found a job in Florida. He dreamed about playing golf, not having to shovel snow, etc., etc., but he had never lived there before. I had. Has it lived up to HIS expectations? Would HE have chosen it now after living there for 3 years? I asked him. All he said was it beats 20 degrees. YOU read between the lines on that. He is going to see a former coworker who now lives just outside of Vegas. Yes, Nevada even has SNOW. The man is also a real estate agent. Again, YOU read between the lines on that. We are both in our late 50s, kids grow up, few years short of retirement. I can only say for myself that I do not wish to become a joke in my old age. As a tshirt I have seen says, "Florida Where America Goes to DIE". No, no, no. I would rather be dead than to live that.

So, I/we will just have to make the best of it. I will keep my feelings to myself to the rest of the outside world down there. I have lived long enough, and been a City person, to know how to do that. You may think I am rude, but consider this. It has nothing to do with you. It may just be my way of coping with what life has thrown at me. Some may consider this a "negative" posting. I call it REALITY.
Hockeymom, I am very sorry about your situation. It has to be difficult to be somewhere you don't want to be. My heart goes out to you. But your feelings are YOUR reality. They are not the reality of all those who live in Florida. To start a post, "How About Eyes Wide Open" is a misrepresentation. You are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't mean if someone likes it here in Florida then their eyes are shut or that they are not living reality. I hope that you find your way back to the north soon and that you are happy when you get there. I am from the north too. I had the (dis)pleasure of visiting up there for two weeks in February and I was so taxed by the cold, the itchy dry skin, all the clothes I had to put on, that I know now that I can never go home again. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Yes. They are precisely MY reality, but MY eyes are wide open for ME. I already KNOW how I feel. I hope someday my reality will be that I can CHOOSE to be where I want to be, WHEREVER that is.

If you are already living YOUR reality, more power to ya.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Yes. They are precisely MY reality, but MY eyes are wide open for ME. I already KNOW how I feel. I hope someday my reality will be that I can CHOOSE to be where I want to be, WHEREVER that is.

If you are already living YOUR reality, more power to ya.
You are not alone, hockeymom. I don't know where I want to be either. By the process of elimination, I know I can no longer live up north. Georgia and the Carolinas are too deep south for me. For now, and maybe forever, I am in Florida. I am slowly making new friends here and I'm finding this makes all the difference. For now this is home and for now I'm enjoying my life here and all that my surroundings have to offer. Some day, some year, this will change and maybe I'll be so old by then that I won't feel the cold and I can return to what I use to call home.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 AM

38 posts, read 139,034 times
Overall, I think Florida is a great place to live. I live in Boca and have tons of friends. And NO i am NOT RICH or snobby or snooty or Jewish or retired. I have tons of Greek friends in the Tarpon Springs area that I visit regularly, there's great beaches and overall one should make the best of their surroundings.

You are a bit homesick and that is understandable. Perhaps, you and your husband can find a way to slowly make your way back up to the place you like to call "home"

Last edited by Jammie; 04-11-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: quote removed and orphaned paragraph

Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 AM

60 posts, read 223,125 times
I don't see the husband as a jerk, but rather a person that hasn't read his wife very well. As a mtter of fact I also see a wife that hasn't talked to her husband about how she feels. Home is where your heart is. It's possible that it is up north, or maybe it would be at home in the west, or just maybe where you are right now. Maybe if you told hubby how you felt, if you spent more time together, relite the home fires you'd find home is where you and hubby can enjoy each other more. Could be a touch of empty nest there, or the coming of it soon. Tell hubby you want to spend more "US" time and forget the rest. You might be pleasantly surprised. Try a little wine basket and a walk on the evening beach with a blanket. You could even find a man that shares more of your thoughts than you thought. A little talk and romance changes the way things look.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABRAT16 View Post
I don't see the husband as a jerk, but rather a person that hasn't read his wife very well.
Dr. Phil??? Is that you???

Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Hockeymom, I don't see your post as a slam against FL. It's how you feel. Hey, some people don't like ice cream. Know what I mean? Anyway, I'm not going to try to analyze your marriage, but I will offer you my understanding and wish you the best. Hang in there, girl, and do what you feel is best for you.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 AM

40 posts, read 341,617 times
I feel for you, but you didnt mention if YOU worked, and if you had to shovel that snow in 20 degrees it might seem the same to you as it does to your husband who has to hit the pavement every morning to go to work...

and you havent kept it a secret, lotsa people know now how you feel, reality is where you find/make it happen, not in the inside of four walls, and please dont be too freaked out if you see a tshirt that says "Soccer Moms do it Better" ....good luck, I hope you find your Utopian Dream World....

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM

121 posts, read 504,160 times
Default Idiot

I am a Male and the feelings of my Wife come first. If she is not happy then he should not be either. I hope if you are ever in a relationship you are treated like she is you deserve it. And if you would learn to read you would see she has felt like this for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post

Overall, I think Florida is a great place to live. I live in Boca and have tons of friends. And NO i am NOT RICH or snobby or snooty or Jewish or retired. I have tons of Greek friends in the Tarpon Springs area that I visit regularly, there's great beaches and overall one should make the best of their surroundings.

You are a bit homesick and that is understandable. Perhaps, you and your husband can find a way to slowly make your way back up to the place you like to call "home"

Last edited by Jammie; 04-11-2007 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida